• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How to use the Bootstrapper.apk

OK, first, the pre-reqs - Bootstrapper requires root.

Now that that is out of the way, here are the steps.

1. download the bootstrapper.apk
  2. install on your phone
  3. run the app after installing
  4. You'll get a screen that looks like this:

View attachment 22096
  5. Press the top button titled bootstrap recovery (this replaces the current recovery with the CWM-based Recovery v4.0.1.5)
  6. When you get the message that it is completed, then press the bottom button titled reboot recovery
  7. Now you're in a familiar CWM Recovery screen. Use the volume up and down rocker panel to move the cursor, or use the menu softkey to move up and the home softkey to move down, and use hte search softkey to select items.

At this point I highly recommend that you make your first backup, found under backup and restore --> backup.

Just wanted to say THANKS for writing this up. It helped... Also I was able to back up, have not done a restore yet though. Waiting for others. :)

Upvote 0
Just did this and the search soft key that you said is supposed to select items insteads go back one screen. You need to use the power button to select items.

Something's wrong with your phone then. I just verified the commands again, and re-wrote the post to corect the direction difference (I had menu moving up, but it moves down).

search soft key selects the current item and the back softkey moves back to the previous menu.

Make sure your pressing the buttons correctly.

Just wanted to say THANKS for writing this up. It helped... Also I was able to back up, have not done a restore yet though. Waiting for others. :)

No worries - I just updated the guide, so take a look again - minor edits, just fixed the direction of the cursor movement as well as added what the back softkey does.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones