1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support How to use the GPS

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by saptech, Jan 2, 2014.

1. saptech

saptech Android Expert

Ok, I've just made it home from work, and while it's snowing, I wanted to turn on the GPS. For whatever reason, I'm not finding it. How the heck do I turn on the GPS, or do I need to download an app?

When I open Waze to navigate, at the top of the screen it show, No GPS Service. This is what brought it to my attention.

Thnx.

Advertisement

2. Thom

Thom  
    VIP Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Male
    Software Developer
    Keene, NH USA
    On my Droid Maxx ... go to Settings | Location and hit the switch at the top of the display. Respond accept to the two dialog boxes.

Is it the same for the Moto G?

See below.

... Thom

Attached Files:

breadnatty08 and saptech like this.
  3. saptech

saptech Android Expert

Yes, the MG have that and it is turned on. I thought it was something to specify to turn off/on GPS. Maybe it is part of the Mfg or Carriers that provide it.

On my Stratosphere phone, I could swipe down from notification bar and have that option.

But Waze mention GPS is not on when I open it.

Thnx.

4. Thom

Thom  
    VIP Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Male
    Software Developer
    Keene, NH USA
    I found it interesting. It seems to have changed in Kit Kat. The first app listed there is form Pay Store and it reports the GPS status. Flipping that switch at the top turns GPS On and Off.

... Thom

5. saptech

saptech Android Expert

I finally figured it out. Under Location Mode and choose High Accuracy. Which show, Use GPS, Wi-Fi, and Mobile Networks to determine location.

There are two other options also. High Accuracy Mode may be a battery draining mode, because the other two offer Battery Saving & Device Only.

Thnx.

6. Thom

Thom  
    VIP Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Male
    Software Developer
    Keene, NH USA
    Yes ... according to that app ... GPS Test Plus ... those options do turn GPS off and on as indicated.

... Thom

Motorola Moto G (1st Gen)

The first generation Moto G was the released in November of 2013. The phone was the first in Motorola's new mid-range line that targeted the sweet spot between specs and pricing. It originally built for emerging markets, but also saw success as a low-priced Android phone option in other parts of the world. The Moto G 1st Gen features Features 4.5-inch LCD display, Snapdragon 400 processor, 16GB storage, 1GB RAM. 5MP rear/1.3MP front facing cameras, and a removable 2,070 mAh battery.