1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

How to view the website like exactly displayed on a desktop PC browser?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by spman, Oct 8, 2014.

1. spman

spman Android Enthusiast

Some sites when you view it in the smartphone browser, it display a version that is suitable for phone browser, the display is different from web browser.

In the smartphone browser, how can I view it like the normal website (exact view like when I am using laptop/PC) instead of the "modified" version on the phone browser? Is there some special mobile browser?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Depends on your browser. Look in the settings for either an option to choose between desktop and mobile views or an option to set the "user agent" (how the browser appears to the Web server).

If it has neither, install a different browser that does let you do what you want. Most third party browsers can do this.

codesplice and spman like this.
  3. AMOCO

AMOCO The Computer Guy
    VIP Member

If using Chrome,While Chrome is open.Tap the 3 dots in the upper right of Chrome(Chrome Settings).Then tap on Request desktop site.

spman likes this.
  4. D1358531

D1358531 Well-Known Member

I use Puffin browser for that reason.

spman likes this.
  5. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Extreme Android User

Mobile tends to condense. You miss a few options that desktop provides. I usually have this fight with Yahoo Groups and/or Mail. I don't want the mobile version. Easier to mark spam and delete on desktop from Mail.

6. zipred

zipred Android Expert

I greatly prefer using the desktop view of web sites as opposed to the mobile view. Partly because of the work I do, partly because it seems like you get the original article content vs the edited for mobile version.

I absolutely love Chrome, yet you check the box to view as a desktop and once you go to another site it reverts to mobile.

The second type of experience I've had is one where you set it to desktop and while it stays set, only some sites appear in that view, others still appear as mobile although the browser is set to desktop.

Finally is the result I'm looking for which is to set it to desktop and having stay that way and show all sites as desktop.

The one browser that seems to stay set and constantly display pages as desktop is the Boat Browser from Google few.

7. JamshiJack

JamshiJack Lurker

I use firefox but I don't understand, could we really see a site in desktop mode if the site has an auto-adjusting theme?? I think if the site works differently on different screen size with the same theme, you can't have a desktop version of the site on your mobile device.... but yea if the site has separate mobile themes this may work and you could switch to desktop version of the site...

8. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Extreme Android User

Check desktop if your browser has it, and keep removing the "m" from the URL. I've had to do that with Yahoo a couple of times.

I also use Boat.

9. Slug

Slug Check six!
    VIP Member

Most servers do a check on the <UserAgent> string returned by the visiting browser and serve up the page dependent on that. Chrome's "Request desktop site" option (and similar in other apps) simply sends an alternate string.

10. dynomot

dynomot Android Expert

Indeed, however Chrome's "Request desktop site" option often "forgets" or some sites (Yahoo! as mentioned being a prime example) seem to "overrule" it. I'm waiting for Google to fix that in a later version of Chrome.

11. Revenant Ghost

Revenant Ghost Android Expert

I also use Boat Browser on my phone, and I hardly have any trouble accessing the desktop version of a website. And I only changed the User Agent to desktop once in the settings.