• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to watch live TV on Captivate?

John I

Jul 28, 2010
Is there an ap? Maybe a website that supports mobile phones?

Sprint has a bunch of channels that stream directly to their Droid, but I assume AT&T will never allow that without paying for freakin uverse...

I don't want to use it all the time, but getting ESPN and a few other channels that might have sports would be handy. Thanks for any help!

John

Not too sure about live TV, but I use an ap called TV.com. It gets some channels, mostly CBS and CW, and shows episodes within 24 hours. You can always use your browser and go to fancast.com. They have a large selection of shows, some new, some a few weeks old. Both are free and, yes, they both accept wifi. I've pretty much moved mobiTV to last screen of my apps, along with all of the AT&T crap. Not being able to use it on wifi, and having to pay a subscription after a trial period, makes it pretty useless to me.

Upvote 0
So, I take it you have been using it the last month? How does it work?

I just ordered a $99 "sling adapter" for my DISH network 722 DVR that, coupled with the free android app released this week, will allow me to stream any of my subscribed TV channels or recorded video off the DVR to my Captivate via 3G or WiFi. It is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow ... :)

Upvote 0
So, I take it you have been using it the last month? How does it work?

Yes, I have used it quite a lot so far. It works well. It is a very stable App and product. The stream to the phone works the same over WiFi or over a good 3G connection. The picture quality is good. It is just a tad soft focused. There is no option to stream DVD or HD quality to the phone (yet) ...

The stream to a remote computer or laptop is in three different qualities. The lowest quality is similar to the phone and streams fine with my 500 Kbps upstream on DSL. The medium quality is very good, bright and sharp. It uses around 1.5-2 Mbps over the local LAN... In highest quality mode it uses around 8 Mbps over my local LAN and looks great. If I had higher bandwidth upstream on my DSL I could stream better qualities to off-site computers.

If you have a DISH 722 or 722N, at $99 and no monthly fee, you should just buy it ... especially if you want to stream to Android. It is a great bargain to get full live access to your entire TV subscription and DVR content.

Upvote 0
As I have almost the same thoughts of 'lets try slinging for only $99' with my 722, cappy and Gtv just for the thrill as my wife thinks I be crazy ands asks once again why we need all the needless electronic devices, especially when you bought Gtv and you hardly use it.

Couple of quick questions>?

Will the $99 sling at Bestbuy work or do we have to go thru dish?
Do we loose the soft def tuner for second TV?
What your quick thoughts on the overall functions?

For $99 its not really a bad thing. I have been playin with the app since it was released with the ability to set timers ect.. but not view content due to lack of slinger.

Thanks for any input

Kev

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones