1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

How to WiFi tether after rooting SGS2 boost mobile

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by tonycho82, Dec 29, 2012.

1. tonycho82

tonycho82 Lurker

Ok, so I successfully rooted my SGS2 for boost mobile today. I wanted to root this damn thing so i would be able to uninstall the MobileID and the rest of the junk bloatware. However, I really can't say that I'm 100% satisfied until I find out a way to wifi tether using a WiFi tethering app from the Playstore without any problems.

I used to own a rooted galaxy prevail, which I had no problems tethering with that, but the SGS2?? Damn, this thing is giving me a minor headache. I tried uninstalling the "wifi direct and wifi manager" using titanium back up, and also tried changing the device name to "generic ICS/JB0 or ICS/JB1" (on the wifi tethering app) with no luck. I take a look at the log (from the wifi tether app), and it keeps saying that an error occurred during the "adhoc" process?

Can someone please help???? -_-;;;;

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. mhannah3333

mhannah3333 Android Enthusiast

Are you still on the stock f122 rom? If so wifi tether should work if you change your device profile to sgs2 then reboot. If your on one of the Jb builds a few more settings need to be adjusted....

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?p=34975593

The modified wifi tether is the work treve of xda. Thanks And thanks to emperorx of xda for the posting.

3. tonycho82

tonycho82 Lurker

yes, FI22. i tried changing the devie profile to sgs2, but still nothing....

4. FLAWLESSVW

FLAWLESSVW Well-Known Member

When I was stock/rooted, I believe I had to change my device profile to "Samsung Epic 4G Touch" which is what we have. I don't think SGS2 worked if I recall. Try that.

5. tonycho82

tonycho82 Lurker

thanks. will try.

6. tonycho82

tonycho82 Lurker

still doesn't work ......

7. Krowbarr

Krowbarr Well-Known Member

Within the app device name should be set to "Generic ICS/JB (Wlan0)" and set up to "auto" Works for me, true infrastructure tethering with this app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.googlecode.android.wifi.tether

8. FLAWLESSVW

FLAWLESSVW Well-Known Member

Hmm, I got nothin' then...

Did you change any other settings?

Be sure you're using "Wireless Tether for Root Users" 2.0.7

That's what I used and only had to change my profile.

9. ndh777

ndh777 Android Expert

I literally just rooted my mom's Galaxy like a few minutes ago and was having trouble with the WiFi tether app working. What everyone said here about changing the device name to "Galaxy S2" worked.

Try uninstalling the app, rebooting the phone, reinstalling the app, and seeing if it works. If it doesn't, reboot the phone then change the device name to "Galaxy S2" like I did and it should work. If not...something may have gone wrong during your rooting process. I'd say trying unrooting your phone then rerooting it. Or just making sure that it is properly rooted by getting the terminal and doing the "#" check or getting another root app and seeing if you truly have root access.

10. NosTraDomus

NosTraDomus Well-Known Member

I can get connection..but n0 internet

11. NosTraDomus

NosTraDomus Well-Known Member

I tried both ways....I'm on stock rom with garwynn kernel...mayb it doesn't like stock rom

12. Codegerm

Codegerm Android Expert

do you have the phone info set as a device administrator in the security settings?

13. casperischinky

casperischinky Well-Known Member

I have been having this same issue, I was running a custom ROM on my phone(jellyverse)but some things happened and I had to take it off, I re rooted it (framaroot) but now for the life of me cannot get any app for wifi tether to work, someone please help me before I go freaking crazy!

Sent from my SPH-D710BST using Tapatalk 2

14. Codegerm

Codegerm Android Expert

Look in your security setting for device administrators if you see one for sprint phone info then get titanium backup and remove that app. It is a nasty app that allows blocking of functions on the phone. then get the tether mod linked in the "One Stop Shop"

15. casperischinky

I'm on a stock rom,fl24 is what im on, & I don't see anything in device administration about Sprint.

16. Codegerm

Codegerm Android Expert

Ewww that is ICS and the most disliked build of it. I would drop GC01 on your phone.

What do you see for device administrator?

17. casperischinky

It says com.Samsung.phoneinfo.diviceadmin, I have froze it with TI , I also have tried to deactivate it but nothing I do is going to work I guess.

18. Codegerm

Codegerm Android Expert

yeah if it is in your administrator list and it won't let you uncheck it in that list, that is the one. It is not needed and you can uninstall it with TB. then it should be gone from your device administrator list.

19. casperischinky

I fully uninstalled and it still will not let me connect to ANY of the wifi tether apps, even Foxfi is giving me problems grrrrrrrrr.

20. casperischinky

I'm just looking for a stock rom that is rooted so I could wifi tether again with no issues. But it seems stock hates wifi tether lol.

21. Codegerm

Codegerm Android Expert

Get yourself on GC01 Jelly Bean rooted. Remove that sprint phone info app, and then use the pre configured tether from here:

WiFi Tethering for JB - Preconfigured - xda-developers

Samsung Galaxy S2 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S2 release date was April 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4210 Dual processor, and 1650mAh battery.

April 2011
Release Date
Reviews