1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root How to wipe before flashing ROM

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Boltaholic, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Boltaholic

Boltaholic Member
    None

Jun 18, 2011
    Even after rooting and flashing ROMs, themes, kernels and mods on my previous phones and now Thunderbolt, I am still a noob in this area.

I have had no problems so far with my phone but every time I help a friend of mine root her phone or flash a new ROM various problems surface which we eventually solve by hit and trial methods.

There is one major aspect to it that I am now seeking advice on. It is the wiping data, cache, etc before flashing new ROM, kernel or radio. What is the best way to do it and what are the things that I need to wipe. I usually wipe data, cache partition, dalvik cache and battery stats. Is fix permission necessary? In what order do I wipe these?

Please help. I would appreciate it very much.

Advertisement

2. HTCThunderbolt

None

Feb 20, 2011
    Need one :(
    Concord NC
    2)wipe data/cache/dalvik cache
    *note that in some select cases,when updating a rom with a newer version of that same rom,the developer may tell you "a full wipe is not needed" in wich case you can eliminate the data wipe. most of the time,however,its a good idea to wipe all 3 of these things
    *using the volume rocker and home softkey,in the main menu in clockwork recovery:
    -select "wipe data/factory reset".scroll past all the NOs and select "yes-- delete all user data"
    -wait for it to say "data wipe complete". youll be back at the main menu
    -select "wipe cache partition". scroll past the NOs and select "yes-- wipe cache"
    -wait for it to say "cache wipe complete". youre now at the main menu again
    -select "advanced"
    -select "wipe dalvik cache". scroll past the NOs to "yes- wipe dalvik cache"
    -wait for it to say "dalvik cache wiped". youll still be in the advanced menu,so go back

I copied this from scotty85's HOW TO post. No credit goes to me :)

No need to fix permissions before flashing a rom :) Also no need to wipe before flashing a radio in HBOOT. Also I wouldnt do the battery stats when you flash a new rom.. Go on the market and download battery calibration. (the logo is a green android) thats the best way to do that :D

Boltaholic and scotty85 like this.