• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How useful do you find Google Now?

I used Google long before I actually started liking Android. currently it's the fastest loading search engine, which is great for older hardware. Bing comes as a close 2nd but has a lot of ads that slow searches down. however, I still miss the old days of Excite, Lycos, Infoseek and Alta-Vista. I used to use Dogpile long before Google and found it extremely useful since it often searched other search engines at the same time, guaranteeing results

Upvote 0
having data, wifi, and gps on is negative and changes nothing of my battery life. it's the same with that all on as it is with wifi only on or in airplane mode. on my device the screen uses the most out of the battery so if it's on standby as it often is (mostly my data use is on tablets, not my phone) I can get a couple days out of it. gps doesn't affect battery life as it's always on by demand. if nothing is using the gps the service is frozen and the gps icon doesn't show. it will only use the gps (and the battery with it) when any app demands location data. I do however turn my phone in 2G mode and that does make it more stable and a bit better on battery demand (3G causes my phone to phantom boot or freeze up)

Upvote 0
i'll have to get a Nexus 10 to be sure but overall I find Android a lot laggier and just not up to par with the performance and UI smoothness of Apple iOS. it seems to crash often and slow down at times, although I have managed to tweak it a little and improve it considerably. I find Android to be a superior smartphone platform but as far as tablets go it lacks a lot. that being said, it remains a lot cheaper to replace the broken phone that runs Android. but as for Google, I use it because the search engine has very little to load making it fast on any device to do general searches on. other sites have tons of flash or ad content making them laggy on any tablet or phone to use. I never use the widget. I found it an unnecessary RAM hog since all it does is load the search you type in the default web browser anyway, so I cut out the middle man and launch the browser and search from there

my only criticisms for Google lately is how they often place results that lead to crappy sites like askmefast.com or fixya.com where you can't even see the content without jumping through hoops. often the exact problem you're trying to find a solution to leads to those sites

Upvote 0
I think it's worth it for the traffic updates alone. It tells me what time to leave so I arrive on time, and offers an alternate route if there are delays. The package tracking is pretty convenient, and weather is nicely done though I generally glance at Beautiful Widgets instead. The traditional voice search stuff has been enhanced quite a bit too. GNow really is neat and I hope Google makes this a focus for their Android development.

Upvote 0
I agree with BigDrew, i love it for when i need to commute to and from work and get traffic updates, this way before work or after i know what way i can take to get home.

Otherwise, i enjoy the locations it gives me, like what restaurants are nearby, and showing packages i have shipped.

It's an all around good app, and i can much improvement in it in the future.

Upvote 0
does it talk back? if so I may have some fun with it when I reinstall a JB ROM on my Fire. but it reminds me of Voice Actions to me. you know, it takes commands but lacks the coolness of voice response--my one love after being a big fan of Trek. there's that sci-fi factor when you hear 'Acknowledged. opening Google Play Store *beep!*' on a real-life 'PADD'

Upvote 0
does it talk back? if so I may have some fun with it when I reinstall a JB ROM on my Fire. but it reminds me of Voice Actions to me. you know, it takes commands but lacks the coolness of voice response--my one love after being a big fan of Trek. there's that sci-fi factor when you hear 'Acknowledged. opening Google Play Store *beep!*' on a real-life 'PADD'

Yes it does! Only on certain things like weather and the time or setting an alarm tho

Upvote 0
Don't need it. I know when rush hour is and how to avoid it, I prefer Weatherbug, a good daily ephemeris, and a different sports score app. I don't bother with anything else in town. I'm not a fan of eating out or movies. I don't care where my friends are since they have the habit of calling/texting at any time so I don't need to track them.

The Vulcan doesn't always carry his phone - he needs a long transmission electronic dog collar.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones