• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How well does the G1 handle imap e-mail?

eggman2001

Lurker
Nov 10, 2008
I briefly owned a blackberry not too long ago so that I could handle work e-mail on the go. However, I was disappointed with its e-mail capabilities (or lack thereof) and quickly got rid of it.

Due to the nature of my work, I use several different e-mail accounts and I need to be able to access them using imap so that when I move or delete an e-mail locally, it gets updated on the server. Can the G1 accommodate this? For each e-mail account, can you specify things like imap and smtp server?

I use a gmail account, a google apps account and three other accounts with other e-mail providers.

The G1 phone comes with a client for gmail and also a different app for POP/IMAP emails. The only problem is, the POP/IMAP email app seems to be problematic for reliably checking for new emails. If you do a search on "POP email" you'll probably see several threads discussing this. You can also see more info on the T-mobile forums.

ppcinfo

Upvote 0
Out of the box the G1 has both a gmail client and an 'email' client for POP/IMAP. There is also an extension to 'email' called K-9. I've used both 'email' and K-9 to access my office exchange email server via IMAP with no issues. But I'm not stressing it either - I just check/respond to my emails when I'm away from a computer.

Note you can also use gmail to poll your IMAP/POP servers and incorporate that mail into your gmail account. I do this with some personal accounts - from my ISP for example - but am prohibited from doing that with my work account by company policy.

Upvote 0
I briefly owned a blackberry not too long ago so that I could handle work e-mail on the go. However, I was disappointed with its e-mail capabilities (or lack thereof) and quickly got rid of it.
If a BlackBerry isn't going to work for you, I seriously doubt the G1 will meet your needs. But that's just me.

The email client/application on G1 only supports gmail, so far.
Not true. At all.

Upvote 0

Due to the nature of my work, I use several different e-mail accounts and I need to be able to access them using imap so that when I move or delete an e-mail locally, it gets updated on the server. Can the G1 accommodate this? For each e-mail account, can you specify things like imap and smtp server?

I use a gmail account, a google apps account and three other accounts with other e-mail providers.

eggman2001, I've had a crackberry for 5 years and it's always been great in terms of email. How were you disappointed with it's capabilities?

Imap on the G1 seems to be working for me so far, but I do miss the blackberry for it's exchange support.

Upvote 0
My quick comparison of G1 IMAP vs Blackberry Internet Service IMAP (Not corporate BES access!)

* G1 polls the server at much faster intervals down to 5 minutes, BB/BIS polls on 15-20 minute intervals
* G1 supports IMAP folders other than just Inbox and Sent (BB does NOT)
* Deleted messages on G1 do delete from IMAP server (BB does)
* Read/Unread status is synced to/from G1 and IMAP server (BB only syncs read status FROM phone
* G1 IMAP client can access prior emails in IMAP account (BB only delivers from the point in time that you configure the account on BIS).

People seem to forget that the Blackberry world is split between corporate BES (full Exchange/Domino integrated) and the much lighter Blackberry Internet Service. Compared to a BB on BIS, I much prefer the G1 imap implementation.

Upvote 0
If a BlackBerry isn't going to work for you, I seriously doubt the G1 will meet your needs. But that's just me.

It was 6 months ago, so my memory is a little foggy but I think the issue was that instead of connecting to the imap and smtp servers (or maybe it was just imap) directly, the device would connect to some blackberry server, which would then connect to the mail servers. As a result, the folders wouldn't sync.

I assume I can go out and buy the G1 and try it out and if I don't like it, I can return it.

Upvote 0
My quick comparison of G1 IMAP vs Blackberry Internet Service IMAP (Not corporate BES access!)

* G1 polls the server at much faster intervals down to 5 minutes, BB/BIS polls on 15-20 minute intervals
* G1 supports IMAP folders other than just Inbox and Sent (BB does NOT)
* Deleted messages on G1 do delete from IMAP server (BB does)
* Read/Unread status is synced to/from G1 and IMAP server (BB only syncs read status FROM phone
* G1 IMAP client can access prior emails in IMAP account (BB only delivers from the point in time that you configure the account on BIS).

People seem to forget that the Blackberry world is split between corporate BES (full Exchange/Domino integrated) and the much lighter Blackberry Internet Service. Compared to a BB on BIS, I much prefer the G1 imap implementation.

I currently have a BB and am a little nervous to switch over. Do you know if there is a limit on how many imap\pop3 accounts I can setup on the G1? Also do you have to check each one individually? Does it notify you of new mail or do you have to put forth extra effort to see if you have a message? Sounds like Microsoft Exchange support is not there yet, have you tried using OWA (outlook web access) with the G1?

Upvote 0
I currently have a BB and am a little nervous to switch over. Do you know if there is a limit on how many imap\pop3 accounts I can setup on the G1? Also do you have to check each one individually? Does it notify you of new mail or do you have to put forth extra effort to see if you have a message? Sounds like Microsoft Exchange support is not there yet, have you tried using OWA (outlook web access) with the G1?

I ended up getting the G1 a few days ago and have installed the K-9 app, which is an extension to the 'email' app that comes with the G1. I've set up 3 imap accounts and they're working fine. For each account, you can set the option to be notified when an e-mail is received. So far, the one feature I wish the K-9 has (but doesn't as of yet) is the ability to move e-mails to folders.

Upvote 0

I'm not running Exchange so I can't answer those questions. I run a Scalix mail server (linux-based Exchange competitor) and I connect to it from the G1 via imap, previously connected my BB to it via imap.

The stock G1 imap client does periodic checks and does provide a notifier, but I've noticed that sometimes it gets lazy. To kick it back into action I just open the email app and click on one of the imap folders and it brings down anything new. I think up to 5 pop/imap accounts are currently supported.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones