1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Support How well does the Kindle app work?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by xrae, Apr 12, 2011.

1. xrae

xrae Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Female
    How well does the Kindle app work on the Optimus V? I want to purchase a Kindle ebook, but don't have the actual device. So I don't want to spend the money if the Kindle app doesn't work well on this phone.

Advertisement

2. ardchoille

ardchoille Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2011
    Male
    Ordained Minister
    Seattle
    I'm not sure how well it works on the Optimus V, but I've used the kindle app on the Samsung Vibrant and currently on my htc Evo 4G - same experience on both phones so I imagine it's the same on the Optimus V.

The home page in the app shows the child reading under a tree over a blue bg with a list of all books on the device. Menu choices include Home, Archived Items, Kindle Store, Sort By, Sync and More..

While reading a book, you have the following UI options:
    * Five font size choices (I'm nearsighted and the middle font choice is perfect)
    * Three color choices (black text on white bg, sepia and white text on black bg)
    * Screen brightness

While reading a book you have Home, View Options, Go To, Back, Bookmark and More.. You can also lock the screen orientation while reading a book. I love this because it allows me to read while laying on my side.

The kindle app is really nice on Android, but you have to realize that a backlit screen, such as on these phones, isn't going to be as clear as that of the actual Kindle device in bright sunlight - this is a limitation of the screen rather than a limitation in the kindle app.

I would recommend buying the ebook and trying out the kindle app.

3. mkbkr1

mkbkr1 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Sunset, Louisiana
    If you would like to try out the Kindle app I would recomend downloading a free ebook or a free sample of a book and trying it out. I have the app on my phone and use it all the time.

4. ardchoille

ardchoille Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2011
    Male
    Ordained Minister
    Seattle
    Agreed. There are tons of free kindle books in the Kindle section.

5. mark2061

mark2061 New Member

Feb 26, 2011
    I have the Kindle app and it works great on the V. No problems at all.

6. xrae

xrae Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Female
    Thanks! I downloaded today. I didn't realize there is also a PC version. Very cool.

7. filmbuff

filmbuff Active Member

Mar 28, 2011
    I can't picture reading a book on a 3" screen. I get eye strain from looking at it for a few minutes of web surfing!

8. AnciusD

AnciusD Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2011
    Male
    USA
    I have eye strain issues, normally, and I was sceptical too, but I tried it last night and it's surprisingly nice. Especially when reading in bed. Might not be too good after more than a chapter or two, though.

Tags: