1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

General How well dose doze work on your phone?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Shotgun84, Nov 18, 2016.

1. Shotgun84

Shotgun84 Well-Known Member

May 30, 2011
    Whatever he said.
    Cambridgeshire, England
    It's not going to be long until the end of my contract so I have a big question. Maybe a little back story first. I was loving my Sony Z5 with stamina mode. If I chose to ignore an app from stamina it was totally ignored until when the app needed to be awake. No questions, when the ignored app got notified then so did you. There was nothing to do with notifications going through Google first, so my phone would wake up instantly when a notification that I thought was important (and not Google) was sent. Now my phone's now got dose all those twitter notifications that might not be important to some but are important to me (it's my only communication with a few people around the world) never get received until I pick my phone up and wake up doze. So long story short. How does doze work on other phones? Have Sony just ballsed that one up? :)

Advertisement

#1 Shotgun84, Nov 18, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
  2. Shotgun84

May 30, 2011
    Whatever he said.
    Cambridgeshire, England
    I ask now because I hear nougat has a brand spanking new idea of choosing when you get your notifications while the phones moving as well. Seriously stamina mode always did that but it would let you get your notifications when they were sent too. Honestly swaying away from android at the moment.

3. lvt

lvt Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2013
    Male
    Paris <--> Taipei
    It works the same way across devices with the same version of Android.

On my device with Marshmallow it seems to work OK, but battery remains my biggest concern because doze mode only helps lazy guys who rarely use their phones, I'm an active user so it does very little to me.

4. Shotgun84

May 30, 2011
    Whatever he said.
    Cambridgeshire, England
    Thanks for the reply but how does it work during the night when you aren't picking your phone up every 10 minutes. As much as I love my sleep it's important I get my notifications right there and then. Some people are on a different timezone than me ;) With stamina mode they would come through instantly but with doze they all come through the second I pick my phone up in the morning. I really can't believe Google thought they knew better than me about when I should get my notifications :rolleyes: I've found a workaround though but it isn't pretty on my battery :(

5. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2011
    I've got all notifications turned off except for Viber, Chomp and Jorte. The screen goes off after a set time and doesn't wake up until I swipe it. I turn apps off. I've found it doesn't shut apps off, anyway. It thinks it knows what your want.

I hate the stupid thing.

Shotgun84 likes this.
  6. Slug

Slug Check six!

Aug 1, 2009
    Male
    Mobile phone retail
    Inverness, UK
    I'm confused, which isn't unusual. :)

If you're asleep. wth does it matter if someone posts during the night? You're not telling me that you want to instantly wake up whenever Joe Bloggs posts a Facebook update from California? :thinking:

I use Settings/Sounds & notifications/Do not disturb to ensure that the only things that disturb my beauty sleep are calls from immediate family i.e. urgent life-or-death stuff. Anything else is restricted to waking hours.

7. Shotgun84

May 30, 2011
    Whatever he said.
    Cambridgeshire, England
    It's not random tweets from anyone that I'm interested in getting instantly. I have these turned off while I sleep. There are however a couple of friends though that it's my only contact with so I'm happy to lose a bit of sleep for them now and again :)

But my point stays the same that if android gets to choose when I get notified and not me it defeats the object of having a smartphone in the first place and I'll have to start looking at android alternatives. It's only going to get worse when N comes into play as I'm going to have to turn my screen on every 10 minutes during the day just so my phone doesn't go into doze and I get notified instantly :-(

#7 Shotgun84, Nov 20, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
  8. Slug

Slug Check six!

Aug 1, 2009
    Male
    Mobile phone retail
    Inverness, UK
    I know that, mate. It was a lame attempt at being funny. :oops:

Try going to Settings/Sound & notification/App notifications, and setting the app to Treat as priority. I've done this for Gmail and Whatsapp and notifications come through regardless of whether the phone is in use or sitting idle in my back pocket.

tube517 and Shotgun84 like this.
  9. Shotgun84

May 30, 2011
    Whatever he said.
    Cambridgeshire, England
    Don't worry about it mate. Thanks. I'll give that a try :)

10. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    On a Samsung that won't matter. Samsung sort of tweaked Doze into Power Saver as far as I can see. Their version allows you to choose what apps can get through Doze (not saving power).

Shotgun84 likes this.
  11. Shotgun84

May 30, 2011
    Whatever he said.
    Cambridgeshire, England
    Sony has the option to ignore apps from battery optimization. Is that anything like Samsung? The problem with doze on the Sony is that ignoring battery optimization is nothing like ignoring an app from the old Sony stamina mode. If an app was ignored on stamina you'd get the notification straight away. Ignore the app on doze then your guess is as good as mine. I don't know, maybe I'm old fashioned but I like my notifications instantly if I choose :)

12. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    Never used Sony. So. No idea on similarity. But on experience, yeah notifications come immediately.

Shotgun84 likes this.
  13. Shotgun84

May 30, 2011
    Whatever he said.
    Cambridgeshire, England
    Cool. It's why I ask here. I got screwed after I bought my phone. Everyone's opinion is more than appreciated. I don't want to be screwed again. Well maybe o_O