1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

How would someone have scanned my phone number?

Discussion in 'Android Development' started by CtCarl, Jun 6, 2021.

1. CtCarl

CtCarl Lurker

Hello all, hoping someone in the forum might have an answer for me.

The other day, I was waiting for someone in the parking lot of their apartment complex when some rando walked up to me, called out to his SO, "Hey honey, write this down", and then proceeded to read her the digits of my cell number. He was on foot and I can't see how he could have had a Stingray on him.

It's not a big deal because it was a spare "burner" phone that only gets spam calls and I never answer it anyway, but I'm just curious how he could have managed that.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations!
    VIP Member

You think it may have been a prank by someone you know? Maybe using a coworker you don't know as the random guy?

3. CtCarl

CtCarl Lurker

That's a fair question, but definitely not. Not one other person knows that number, I've never given it to anyone, and no one else knew I was going there, not even the person I was waiting for.

The_Chief likes this.
  4. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations!
    VIP Member

Wow... well I'm stumped, then

5. CtCarl

CtCarl Lurker

I'm assuming that it has to be an app, but I've never heard of one that could scan for nearby phones and return numbers.

6. codesplice

codesplice Elite Recognized Moderator

Me neither. Android apps aren't able to see the phone number of the device they're installed on without being granted explicit permission to do so. And your phone doesn't broadcast your phone number in any way - Bluetooth and Wifi IDs, sure, but not phone number. It's not possible for an Android app to determine the phone number of a nearby phone.

Any chance this guy might have been a magician?

7. CtCarl

CtCarl Lurker

Starting to wonder the same thing myself.

8. Leonardd1

Leonardd1 Lurker

WOW, I am shocked!

Now I should be more attentive.