• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How would you improve the Fascinate

Now don't get me wrong here, this is just a reply to the OP'er.
If I had to make a list of things that I liked about the phone there would not be enough room in this forum to write it all down. Thank you and good evening :)

I agree. I love this phone. My post was more to bemoan my frustration over my aging eyesight than any fault of the phone. I enlarge my computer screen to 125% and just wish I could do that with the text entry screen on my phone!

Upvote 0
GPU-accelerated UI like on Windows Phone 7
2 GB RAM
16 GB internal
Lower power S-AMOLED (turns out Super AMOLED draws a ton of power)
Dual-core, 32 nm process
Less bezel, shorter top and bottom portions
Larger battery, maybe 1900 (if you open the back, looks like some clever layout could allow a larger-sized battery) - I'd even take a slightly thicker phone for this
Either dual microSD or a single SDXC slot (if possible)
Front-facing camera
Physical camera shutter button
Power button on TOP
Carbon fiber back like on the Captivate
Noise-cancelling mic
Speaker on the BOTTOM like the iPhone 4, or at least fix the damn reverb/distortion

Upvote 0
I agree. I love this phone. My post was more to bemoan my frustration over my aging eyesight than any fault of the phone. I enlarge my computer screen to 125% and just wish I could do that with the text entry screen on my phone!

Hi Jacki,

Have you tried using the speech to text feature ? I use it all the time for brief messages and short sentences. It seems to help quite a bit not having to refocus your eyesight from the keyboard to the screen so many times while pecking away.

Upvote 0
To have my phone not vamp my battery. Seriously, my Eris and OG Droid were never this bad with their stock batteries, and were even better after rooting them. Unfortunately, my Fascinate refuses to play nice with ADB, and in the one chance occasion it did, for the small amount of time I had it rooted it refused to flash ClockWorkMod Recoveries properly/allow CWM Recovery mode, and just didn't play nice at all. Here's the hope that maybe the 2.2 update will repair these problems and allow for easier access.

Upvote 0
Hi Jacki,

Have you tried using the speech to text feature ? I use it all the time for brief messages and short sentences. It seems to help quite a bit not having to refocus your eyesight from the keyboard to the screen so many times while pecking away.

Hi Dan. Yes, from time to time I have used the speech to text, but find it isn't too convenient most of the time I need to text - like at work, in stores, or just generally when other people are around. Guess I'll just have to keep my reading glasses handy!

Upvote 0
2 GB RAM
16 GB internal
Dual-core, 32 nm process
Larger battery, maybe 1900 (if you open the back, looks like some clever layout could allow a larger-sized battery) - I'd even take a slightly thicker phone for this
Front-facing camera
Power button on TOP
Noise-cancelling mic
Speaker on the BOTTOM like the iPhone 4, or at least fix the damn reverb/distortion

And how about an app that plays MOV files for God's sake?

Upvote 0
2 GB RAM
16 GB internal
Dual-core, 32 nm process
Front-facing camera
Power button on TOP
Noise-cancelling mic

i agree with a lot of that, but 2gb ram? unless you were going for a multi-tasking record its kinda unneccessary for an android phone for the forseeable future :D

Upvote 0
1. Have the capacitive buttons glow and fade as a notification, rather than having an LED. This is actually doable since it is software related. And there is a petition somewhere trying to get Samsung to implement this

2. Adjust the time out of the capacitive buttons. (always on when the screen is on would be nice)

3. Fix the freaking GPS

4. Froyo

5. Auto arrange the app drawer by app name (I use LauncherPro so this isn't an issue, but c'mon Samsung, really??)

6. USB on the bottom (Only thing on my list that is not doable with software updates)

I actually like not having internal memory and having it shipped with a 16GB SD card. None of the 3rd party music apps recognize internal memory, from what I've noticed.
I agree with your #1. idea. capacitive buttons can be used as LED notification. That is smart. :p

Upvote 0
Support for all mic'd headphones with remote controls. So far, no headphones work except for Samsung's ear buds, which i don't like the sound quality.

Have music stop when unplug headphones.

Needs support for lyrics on the stock music player (otherwise the music player is fantastic)

Why don't they add another memory slot for an additional memory card ? Having two 32 gb cards at the same time would be sweet.

Better support for mobile video viewing.

Needs LED notifications or this was a good idea: "1. Have the capacitive buttons glow and fade as a notification, rather than having an LED."

The bottom button row needs to stay lit more.

---------------

Otherwise, I really love this phone. I'm more than happy with it.

Upvote 0
New user, so maybe just haven't figured these things out yet. My wish list...

1. Ability to sort contacts by however I wish; last name, company, etc.
2. Secret squirrel IM app for Droid users, like Blackberry IM
3. Allow me to have the option to delete from phone only or phone and mailbox
4. Since I cannot stop what apps that Verizon/Samsung want to push, allow me the ability to create a misc folder to put everything in
5. Spell check before sending email
6. Double space to automatically enter a period and long press letter to make it capitalized
7. Automatically go to silent/vibrate mode when holstered
8. Confirmation message when I hit "Reply All" asking me if I really want to Reply All...oops, that may just be me. : )

Sorry...just trying to get used to the nuances. Thanks to all who post, have gotten great apps, solutions and suggestions!

Upvote 0
Personally, I'de likely stay where I was if I were you and wait for 4G LTE and the next gen dvices to come down the pike and see what the next layer of Android hardware looks like. My Fascinate is about 6 weeks old, but I have another NE2 coming due in May, I'll likely pass the Fascinate down to my daughter and grab whatever the hottest thing is in May or June.

If your not upset with your Droid1 performance, your really not leaving a whole lot on the table by holding out a bit. My guess is that in Q1 2011 we will have a fresh face on the hardware options for us. Just hand tough for a few months.... your almost there.

Larry

Upvote 0
Personally, I'de likely stay where I was if I were you and wait for 4G LTE and the next gen dvices to come down the pike and see what the next layer of Android hardware looks like. My Fascinate is about 6 weeks old, but I have another NE2 coming due in May, I'll likely pass the Fascinate down to my daughter and grab whatever the hottest thing is in May or June.

If your not upset with your Droid1 performance, your really not leaving a whole lot on the table by holding out a bit. My guess is that in Q1 2011 we will have a fresh face on the hardware options for us. Just hand tough for a few months.... your almost there.

Larry

i agree that if you are happy with the og droid performance there is no need to upgrade to a fascinate :)

however verizon has not stated what they plan to do with 4g plans so waiting for a 4g phone may or may not be the best thing if you are dead set on upgrading now.

if root/roms and that stuff matters to you as well remember the development cycle...a phone that launches in late january may not have root til mid-late february, may not have kernels/roms/themes til march. so thats 6 months from now to get the phone the way you like it if thats your path ;)

Upvote 0
yeah the screen size is what i was drawn to when I first looked at it, that and the amoled display, first thought that went through my mind when i saw the crisp rich color display is "oh my god, now this is a phone" lol, and that woman at the verizon store continued to "sell" it to me, how she lovs her SF, all the workers at that location have one. Then she tells me how it comes with 2.2 and its going to get 2.3 by then end of the year, only down side is it does not have gorilla glass, and i shit you not, these were her exact words as to why it doesn't "yeah only the motorola phones have the gorilla glass, the company that makes the glass has some kind of a deal with motorola to make the glass exclusively with them only" well needless to say i briefly believed her untill i did some research for myself and found out it does come with gorilla glass, but as for the phone coming with 2.2, i believed her to a point, but did not believe her when she said 2.3 was coming by the end of the year. Anyways, back on topic, i think i will end up upgrading to the SF on black friday, as long as i get a good place in line, brave the cold weather, and not alot of people are there for the SF also, best buy is only getting 10 phones per store, wish me luck next week, ill need it lol

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones