1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

how you getting on with the glass

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by papa j, Nov 28, 2010.

1. papa j

papa j Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Male
    not sure will ask boss monday
    here and there some times in the midle but most of
    hiya all
    a few days or even a week back one of you fine fellows was getting replacement glass for his camera lens on the htc desire .
    well i was wondering how you got on with it
    and was wondering what work was involved

Advertisement

2. DesireMe

DesireMe Well-Known Member

May 20, 2010
    Poker
    Strathaven
    For all that hassle, i can't see why you'd bother for so little improvements.

3. widehead

widehead Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Educator
    The improvements on mine have made the difference between decent photos and a totally unusable camera.

4. KlaymenDK

KlaymenDK Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Denmark
    Please, *please* do a simple search and continue the appropriate thread. :rolleyes:

@Moderators
    Would a moderator please merge this thread with #144342? It should align itself nicely, considering the posting times. Thanks! :cool:

Anyway...

I did that for several reasons:
    1) Hacking is fun! And really, taking the photos and posting the thread took more time that doing the actual job.
    2) The camera was nigh-on useless before, now it's not perfect but still *way* better. I know the pics don't do it justice -- but that's my lack of picture-uploadin' skillz, and nothing else.
    3) This will serve as inspiration for others, and a light criticism of HTC's crappy quality.

5. LECTER

LECTER Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Entrepreneur
    Over the hill and through the woods
    That

6. matttye

matttye Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2010
    Senior Legal Secretary
    Lincoln, England

• Push off the plastic lens cover with your finger/thumb.
    • Cover camera lens with a piece of some kind of screen protector so that it's still protected by something.
    • ???
    • PROFIT!

7. faz1964

faz1964 Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Leeds - UK
    100% improvement and now no more worrying about putting the phone down without scratching the camera lens

8. KlaymenDK

KlaymenDK Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Denmark
    • Push off the plastic lens cover with your finger/thumb.
      • ...and, while trying to take a photo, drop your battery in a puddle of muddy water. Once the cover is off, there's no latch on that battery, you know.

• Cover camera lens with a piece of some kind of screen protector so that it's still protected by something.
      • ...and photograph through a wine-gum lens AND a rubbery screen protector?
    I'm telling you, proper glass is the way to go.

9. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member

May 25, 2010
    UK Technical Lead; Desktop Support
    Riddlesden, West Yorkshire, UK
    Yeah glass or nothing.

Although I popped my plastic out and went for nothing and had no problems. I couldn't recommend it as a course of action though. Luckily I have clean pockets.

10. matttye

matttye Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2010
    Senior Legal Secretary
    Lincoln, England
    What are you talking about? I said push off the plastic lens cover, not the entire back cover. I mean snap off the plastic lens cover by pushing it with one of your digits.

Yeah it looks fine :) I'm not a professional photographer but I can't see any difference between my photos with nothing covering the lens at all, and with a bit of screen protector on it.

Just like the plastic got smudged/scratched the screen protector can too, so you have to change it every so often, but other than that it's a huge improvement over the plastic camera protector which gets severely scratched.

Tags: