1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Howdy, I need help with (everything really lol)

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by coydroid, Dec 7, 2011.

1. coydroid

coydroid Newbie
    None

Well, let me begin by saying, I'm a 54-year-old widow who still has dial-up, hates cell phones, only watches PBS, still uses a sturdy PIII . . . and just got my first tablet PC. I have never used Android, and as I sit here now the only thing I've done with my (K1 IdeaPad) is plug in the little charger cable. I saw "40%" briefly on the screen and haven't touched it beyond that (not even to power it up). I'm uh . . . a little intimidated by it heh heh. :p

Can I ask the group if you all know of or can recommend a strategy for me to get maps into my IdeaPad

Advertisement

2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    Hello and welcome to Android Forums!

There are apps that include maps which don't necessarily have to be tied to a gps, but you will most likely not find any to install from a CD. That simply is not the delivery vehicle for Android devices. Might I suggest you take your tablet to your favorite bookstore, library or coffee shop and connect to their wifi network.

There is a navigation app called copilot that includes maps stored on the device. Google maps will require an internet connection.

starry5 and coydroid like this.
  3. Rush

Rush {<>}~{<>}
    None

Jan 31, 2011
    Male
    Entrepreneur / Business Owner - Freelance Writer
    Loganville, GA
    Nice of you to stop by and introduce yourself. Welcome aboard the forum.

coydroid likes this.
  4. D-U-R-X

D-U-R-X turbo drinker
    None

Apr 20, 2011
    Work to live, not the other way round!!
    Sheffield, South Yorkshire
    Welcome to AF!

coydroid likes this.
  5. coydroid

coydroid Newbie
    None

Hello friends. :p

Okay, now forgive me but . . . do I need to have a paid account to use the library's Wi-Fi? This will be my first time, and I have not one blessed clue about what I am doing! Do I just . . . go down there with it and . . . and then what? :eek: :p

[​IMG] <<note the cat glasses, yeah, that's me alright lol

6. D-U-R-X

D-U-R-X turbo drinker
    None

Apr 20, 2011
    As long as the WIFI is an open network, you wouldn't have to pay for it. Some WIFI networks are, although "open", protected by passwords.

Some places just have password protection, but will give the password out to you, no catches. I have recently been in a pub that had "free" WIFI - you had to create an account, so that you could log on to their WIFI... although it was a free account, this meant that they would have had my email address (which I would imagine that they would then bombard with marketing spam).

In answer to your question, I would imagine that you should be able to take your device down to the library and then just connect... you may need to ask them for a password for their network, but then the internet would not actually cost you anything, as you are using their connection.

Hope this is the answer you needed! :)

coydroid likes this.
  7. coydroid

coydroid Newbie
    None

Okay, the library signal was too "POOR" for the tablet to complete its set up, so just on a whim I pulled up in front of the post office. I was able to get it to log in to my Google account and was just about to bookmark Google when it bumped me off the network.

Back at home now, when I turn on my IdeaPad I have a lovely field with the phrase "No internet connection" + the time + a padlock symbol. Within seconds the unit turns itself off. [​IMG]

So perhaps I'd better understand something right now:
    Must I be Live on Wi-Fi for my tablet to work? because I bought it to use as an ereader, and was hoping to transfer any apps etc. over to it by MicroSDHC card.

Thanks.

8. D-U-R-X

D-U-R-X turbo drinker
    None

Apr 20, 2011
    Hi again coydroid!

Sorry, but I don't know much about tablets... you might be best posting in the sub-forum for your device Lenovo Ideapad K1 - Android Forums as others who use the device are the best to offer help and advice on how to get the most out of your tablet.

Hope you find the answers you need for your issue!

9. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    You do not have to be on any network for the tablet to work, but it may need to finalize the authentication, which is why it's behaving that way. As far as your post office, i doubt they provide free wifi. What is more likely is that one of the residents in the neighborhood had an unsecured wifi router that you jumped on long enough to get online.

At your library and on other free wifi locations many times it requires you to open a browser window and accept a terms of use agreement before you are allowed to connect to the internet. What you do is go to a free wifi area and enable wifi on your tablet. Then go to menu>settings>wireless & networks>wifi settings and see if any network says "connected". If not but there are networks available connect to the strongest signal. If it says security enabled you'll need a password, but most free wifi spots don't require passwords.

When you are connected to a network, open your internet browser and see if it redirects you to a page that asks you to check a box to accept their terms of use. Once you check that box and hit okay (or submit, agree, or whatever you have to click to accept) you will have internet access.