1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

How's everyone like this launcher compared to the big boys?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by NightAngel79, Mar 20, 2020.

1. NightAngel79

NightAngel79 Bounty Hunter
    Administrator Thread Starter

So finally going to use a custom launcher. Had HTC and Sense for like 8 years with no reason to switch. Then had a Pixel.

Now I have a S20 and while I like everything about it, I REALLY miss several key Pixel features. Is Lawnchair the best I can get to Pixel experience?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

I hate the Pixel launcher. Far too limited, and no damned corporation gets to tell me that I have to have their search bar on my home screen and have to use their clock/info widget. So it lasted less than a minute with me.

Hence as a current Pixel user I use Nova. I tried Lawnchair briefly but I'm used to having more customisation than it offered back then (I don't know whether it offers more now).

ocnbrze, Dannydet and PitCarver like this.
  3. NightAngel79

I just heard of Lawnchair via @codesplice in the context of having more customization than pixel launcher, fwiw. And I didn't mind the pixel launcher after having Sense for 8 years. But so far I am not jiving with Samsungs, whatever they call it (One?).
    Always heard Nova was teh best, but honestly never used it.

ocnbrze and codesplice like this.
  4. Ekansh Jain

Ekansh Jain Lurker

Thats really Nice

5. NightAngel79

What is? Can you expand on the sentiment?

ocnbrze likes this.
  6. codesplice

codesplice Elite Recognized Moderator

I think Nova probably still wins in absolute customization potential. I find that Lawnchair strikes a nice balance of configurable options without being overwhelming.

Dannydet likes this.
  7. NightAngel79

Just launched it and play for a bit... Not sure if I'll keep it, or better yet, not sure I feel like setting all my screens up all over again right now, haha. I should probably try Nova too, just for hell of it. Or wait for a Pixel 5 and make due! :)

ocnbrze likes this.
  8. Unforgiven

Unforgiven ...eschew obfuscation...

swmped at work, subbed for later

ocnbrze and NightAngel79 like this.
  9. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

I'm using Nova on my Pixel 4XL, if that's any indication.

ocnbrze likes this.
  10. NightAngel79

Interesting... Anything that stood out as *that* much better about nova? I found the Pixel almost perfect, and never thought of switching. Only when moving over to the s20 did I consider.

11. lunatic59

I think I am in @Hadron's camp here. It's not so much about what I can't add or customize, but what I can't remove. Didn't much care for the app drawer, either.

NightAngel79 likes this.
  12. Hadron

VIP Member

Wow! I just decided to have a play with Lawnchair and I've never seen anything like it! I don't know what it was conflicting with but it did not play nice: the moment I installed it I lost my home gesture and even after uninstalling it and restarting the phone I'm having trouble accessing the app drawer (I have to do it really slowly and carefully). I'm sure there's something specific on my phone it clashed with, but there's no way I'm trying it again.

NightAngel79 and ocnbrze like this.
  13. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

i use nova as well. but i think adw is another launcher you might want to check out as well.......ask @MoodyBlues she has i think a couple of threads on it.

14. MoodyBlues

MoodyBlues Compassion is cool!
    VIP Member

I've never tried Lawnchair, nor have I ever used a Pixel, so I can't give any advice on any of that! :)

However, as @ocnbrze noted, I do use ADW. I prefer it over Nova, but I always suggest trying more than one launcher to see what suits you best. When it comes to customization options, ADW has a lot!

If you're interested in seeing a few things it can do, have a look at this thread. Feel free to ask questions, too!

NightAngel79, ocnbrze and codesplice like this.
  15. MoodyBlues

VIP Member

Yeah, what he said! ^
    That sounds like what it would take for me, too...

lunatic59 and ocnbrze like this.
  16. NightAngel79

Great feedback everyone! Hell, we need a mega launcher discussion thread, lol

ocnbrze likes this.
  17. Hadron

VIP Member

ocnbrze and NightAngel79 like this.
  18. NightAngel79

Dang 9 year old thread, lol. I think it's time for a new one in Android Lounge.

ocnbrze likes this.
  19. lunatic59

I was a big ADW fan for many years, but at one point they removed a transparent effect in one of the menus or launch bars (I honestly don't remember exactly where it was) which really bugged me. I mean REALLY bugged me. I contacted the developers and they responded quickly that they had every intention of adding it back, but they didn't want to slow down the update because it was was a major overhaul to go from Android 5 to 6. If everyone remembers there was a fundamental architecture change with that update. Anyway, Nova had the feature i was looking for so i decided to "temporarily" switch. The problem was that Nova has pretty much everything ADW offers and I'm a lazy S.O.B. I'm sure if they could give me a reason to switch back, I would.

Haven't most of the popular launchers in that thread either become over monetized ad platforms or flat out spyware?

MoodyBlues and ocnbrze like this.
  20. Hadron

VIP Member

You mean Go Launcher? ;)

That or gone away completely (as happens to most apps eventually).

MoodyBlues, lunatic59 and ocnbrze like this.
  21. NightAngel79

Probably (i havent read it, lol)

Would be interesting to see a good break down of today's contenders.

ocnbrze and MoodyBlues like this.
  22. Milo Willamson

Milo Willamson Android Expert

I tried Go Launcher a while ago, I did not like the interference or ads though, It is just a weighed down version of Nova, I tried Nova for a bitter sweet symphanoy I had like to enter throughout the wormhole, of where finally stumbled upon MB's almighty AWD, where now I am in love with the interference of AWD :)

ocnbrze likes this.
  23. Hadron

VIP Member

Go has actually been around longer than Nova. But Go apps got progressively spammier, and of course there have been their privacy issues, so I could never recommend them to anyone.

ocnbrze likes this.
  24. MoodyBlues

VIP Member

Ha ha ha, I hear you! I know what it's like to lose something you really like--and I always wonder why people REMOVE perfectly good features. Like, what? :thinking: Shouldn't updates/upgrades contain MORE features? Not less. I understand if an Android update forces a change, but that should be temporary, just until the developer tweaks that feature to make it work with the new OS.

Anyway, it's been less than a year since I finally switched from ADW 1 to 2. I felt kind of dumbfounded at first...it just seemed TOO different. But once I took a deep breath and explored its new look and feel, I not only replicated everything I loved, but found new things to love, too. Hence the thread I started as I played with it.

NightAngel79, ocnbrze and lunatic59 like this.
  25. PitCarver

PitCarver Android Expert

Long time NOVA user. Tried ADW but went back to NOVA.

I did keep ADW installed and every so often bring it out for another try.

ocnbrze and lunatic59 like this.

Lawnchair 2

Lawnchair 2 Forum

ch.deletescape.lawnchair.plah

Lawnchair 2 introduces powerful new features—from Drawer Categories to integration with Android Recents and contextual data in At a Glance. Key Features
— Support for Adaptive Icons. — Flexible Desktop, Dock, and Drawer. — Drawer Categories (Tabs & Folders). — Integration with Android Recents.¹ — Automatic Dark Mode. — Contextual data in At a Glance. — Notification Dots. — Integration with Google Feed and Homefeeder.² Get Support
— twitter.com/lawnchairapp. — t.me/lccommunity. — reddit.com/r/lawnchairlauncher. 1. Requires QuickSwitch (t.me/QuickstepSwitcherReleases). Works on Android 9. 2. Requires Lawnfeed (lawnchair.app/lawnfeed) and Homefeeder (t.me/homefeeder) respectively. Note: this release doesn’t officially support Android 10. Lawnchair 2 uses the Device Administrator permission to lock the screen when a selected gesture is detected. This is optional and disabled by default.

READ MORE
December 4, 2019
Last Updated
Rating
1M+
Installs