• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How's the call quality and reception on the Infuse?

jessie1290

Dec 8, 2010
I love the size and screen of this phone, I'm just afraid of how it works as a phone to call people. I had a Captivate when it first came out and the signal strength when outside of a major city was terrible - usually between -96 and -105. It dropped calls every day. I had no service at all driving down an Interstate in a place where I had perfect service before. (I switched my sim card several times to my old phone to make sure it was the phone, not AT&T, and in the old phone it went back to good reception every time.) I switched it out for a new one, but it was no better. I now have the Atrix, which sadly has it's own voice quality problems - people often complain that I sound muffled. A recent update helped, but it's not near what it should be.
So, If you've gotten an Infuse, please tell me what you think. Lots of things appeal to me about it, but I can't have another phone that doesn't work to call people!

I just got the Infuse today. I had to return my Atrix because my unit had a defect. I was pretty happy with most things on the Atrix, but decided to try the Infuse, instead of another Atrix. So far, I'm really happy with the decision. It DOES fit in my jeans pocket - and if I turn it sideways, I can even sit down. I haven't seen a bit of pixelation or blurriness on the screen. In my test calls to my husband, he said I sounded really good. (I didn't have any voice quality trouble with the Atrix, though, either.) What I'm really enjoying is that everything just seems to be a whole lot easier to do when the screen is bigger. The phone is really zippy and responsive. The text is generally more readible, because it's larger, and even a little TOO big in places - but that's not a problem. I loved being able to install the Amazon App Store app and then start installing apps from there. That was really easy. The camera appears to be good. I'm pretty happy so far.

The only bad thing I've found is that there is a bug in how Tango works on this phone. The picture that you send from the front camera is rotated 90 degrees. I checked on the Tango forum, and I was not the first to report this. The others were all on various Samsung phones, and it sounded like the problem started after the recent update of the Tango software. My voice is also going in and out, so I have to hold the phone pretty close and speak loudly - just during Tango calls.

Reactions: Aatos.1
Upvote 0
I just got the Infuse today. I had to return my Atrix because my unit had a defect. I was pretty happy with most things on the Atrix, but decided to try the Infuse, instead of another Atrix. So far, I'm really happy with the decision. It DOES fit in my jeans pocket - and if I turn it sideways, I can even sit down. I haven't seen a bit of pixelation or blurriness on the screen. In my test calls to my husband, he said I sounded really good. (I didn't have any voice quality trouble with the Atrix, though, either.) What I'm really enjoying is that everything just seems to be a whole lot easier to do when the screen is bigger. The phone is really zippy and responsive. The text is generally more readible, because it's larger, and even a little TOO big in places - but that's not a problem. I loved being able to install the Amazon App Store app and then start installing apps from there. That was really easy. The camera appears to be good. I'm pretty happy so far.

The only bad thing I've found is that there is a bug in how Tango works on this phone. The picture that you send from the front camera is rotated 90 degrees. I checked on the Tango forum, and I was not the first to report this. The others were all on various Samsung phones, and it sounded like the problem started after the recent update of the Tango software. My voice is also going in and out, so I have to hold the phone pretty close and speak loudly - just during Tango calls.

I've heard that Tango has a few bug fixes in the works, for release soon.

How do you like the way Froyo 2.2 runs on your phone?

Another question, does it have a Swype keyboard? I've become super fast with it and in fact I'm composing this post with Swype, I'm totally addicted to it lol.

Thanks in advance for you're response to my questions, and the nice review here.

Cheers :)

Sent via Samsung Galaxy S II using Swype

Upvote 0

Hey guys,

We just received our Infuse into the office and will start performing tests on it asap ;)

Upvote 0
the call quality on this phone is good..better than my htc inspire..one thing though..the reception seems just ok..its real jumpy..up and down..and even when using just wifi my wifi signal isnt great. for example if im at home using my wifi and i have both my inspire and infuse next to each other the inspire will show 3-4 wifi bars while the infuse will have 1-2 unless im very close to the wifi.

other than that call quality and speaker phone are awesome!!

Reactions: Aatos.1
Upvote 0
I have no problems with call quality - voice sounds good in both directions and no dropped call issues.

I am having serious issues with the phone's reluctance to stay connected to my wi-fi networks. Both at home and at work it will randomly disconnect for long period of time, forcing me to use AT&T's bandwidth. Seems like a money-maker for AT&T to sell more bandwidth.

Upvote 0
While call quality is fine, I find the in call volume to be too low. Even at max, I could use a couple of bumps in volume(in loud places). I have had a few dropped calls in NYC and Northern NJ. The Data service has been good to bad. Unfortunately, unlike Sprint, it is very poor on my commute, especially with Exchange. I'm afraid I may have to return this beauty and move to another carrier.

Upvote 0
I notice if I am in a wifi zone but have a weak signal, the infuse will not switch to the cellular network immediately... it will continue to try and get a wifi signal without switching to cellular.. webpages time out, etc.

Anyone else seeing this?

I have also noticed this - though have been traveling so haven't had a chance to test much. For sure this is how both the Atrix and the Ipad 2 behaved on my home network. My older laptop, Ipad and Iphone 3gs don't have the problem. Very curious.

Upvote 0
I too have a major gripe about the call quality and dropped calls on the Infuse. As I am a week outside of my thirty days I have to Craigslist the phone but as for now I am back on my 3Gs and couldn't be happier. Although the screen is smaller and not as vibrant, I can talk to my GF without the "what, can you repeat that?" every 5 seconds or having to call back due to the dropped call. I live just outside DC in Northern Va and have never had any phone issues in the past 11 years as I have had with the infuse. I'll just wait for the new iPhone in the fall.

I do agree with one post on here, it is hard to have a phone that cannot even handle "phone" features such as talking and holding a clear conversation. What's the point? Sure I can text but a phone should be able to at least do the basic functions.

Upvote 0
I love the size and screen of this phone, I'm just afraid of how it works as a phone to call people. I had a Captivate when it first came out and the signal strength when outside of a major city was terrible - usually between -96 and -105. It dropped calls every day. I had no service at all driving down an Interstate in a place where I had perfect service before. (I switched my sim card several times to my old phone to make sure it was the phone, not AT&T, and in the old phone it went back to good reception every time.) I switched it out for a new one, but it was no better. I now have the Atrix, which sadly has it's own voice quality problems - people often complain that I sound muffled. A recent update helped, but it's not near what it should be.
So, If you've gotten an Infuse, please tell me what you think. Lots of things appeal to me about it, but I can't have another phone that doesn't work to call people!

The call quality on this phone is very good..the calls are clear and loud so i have no problems there..now as for reception ..my phone shows less bars compared to other phones but not sure if its just the phone or if its actually picking up less signal..im thinkiing the signal is good but just not showing more bars..its the same way when i use the wifi..my inspire has full bars in my house when my infuse shows one or two bars less..anyways i never had problems with dropped calls or receiving calls. im in the sfv area.

Upvote 0
the call quality on this phone is good..better than my htc inspire..one thing though..the reception seems just ok..its real jumpy..up and down..and even when using just wifi my wifi signal isnt great. for example if im at home using my wifi and i have both my inspire and infuse next to each other the inspire will show 3-4 wifi bars while the infuse will have 1-2 unless im very close to the wifi.

other than that call quality and speaker phone are awesome!!

This seems to be similar to how the phone is treating me. I love the phone. Call quality is great. But.... In areas where I normally only had 1 or 2 bars with other phones before I completely lose service with the infuse. It sucks because the only place I can use my phone at work I lose service. I hope there is some kind of update that can fix this.

Besides that this phone kicks ass!

Upvote 0
I love most everything about the phone. It is a little hard to fit in a pocket but I can live with that.
:thinking:I do however have a problem with seeing that red circle with a line drawn thru it!!!!! I can't even get reception in my living room most of the time. My old phone has signal and everybody else with different phones have signal. I don't know if this is an issue with this phone or with all Infuse phones. Thinking of returning it for Iphone before my 30 days are up... Not sure what issue the I phone 4 has. Any opinions or info welcome.

Upvote 0
Generally I don't have issues with the phone. However, recently I was in the middle of two phone calls where I completely lost the connection and found myself back at the home screen. I know you can have poor reception, and occassionally drop calls, and the reception at home, where this has happened, isn't the best, but it seemed odd to me that I would be back at the home screen, as if I hadn't been on a call. Is this a typical reaction to dropping a call? Don't know if it is the phone, or the service, and I know others have mentioned problems with call quality, but I am wondering if I might be doing something to terminate the call? It is as if I hung up, but I would think it would remain on the call/dialpad screen, not go back to the home screen.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones