1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support : How's the signal acquisition/radio driver???

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Skrillex, Sep 18, 2011.

1. tbhausen

tbhausen Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 22, 2011
    Male
    Indianapolis, IN
    If we ain't talkin' dBm, it's all guesswork. Bars mean nothing, period. They're a "dumbed-down", consumer-friendly, and often misleading way of telling us our phones and the networks run on are better than they really are.

dBm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Advertisement

2. So-Low Da Don

So-Low Da Don Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 23, 2010
    Aspiring Rapper/Producer
    Houston, TX

dbm tests and speed tests. They were pretty close most of the time with dbm, but 3G and 4G speeds were better in strong signal areas. (around 1-2 mbps better on 4G)

3. Skrillex

Skrillex Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 17, 2011

Well put. I find it nearly impossible that suddenly Samsung has better radios than Motorola. Just does not add up or jive with most of the other input I have heard from Touch owners. Any Photon with with a worse signal than the Touch must be slightly defective.

4. sean76

sean76 Android Expert
    None

May 5, 2010
    THE BOSS
    NYC

Everything is good bro! Rockin this Bionic as off late, retired the Thunderbolt and Charge...

Just waitin on this next Jesus Phone...lol. A la> Droid (Nexus) Prime!

5. JDubbleTrouble

JDubbleTrouble Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 9, 2010
    Eat Smoke Play Sleep
    North America
    Hey man this sites about android phones not pickin up chicks put damn a shirt on

6. sean76

sean76 Android Expert
    None

May 5, 2010
    THE BOSS
    NYC

Lol...my Lady is on here, and I'm definitely not on here this long to pick up chicks my man.

Dont hate brother! ; )

7. Skrillex

Skrillex Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 17, 2011
    Anyone else having poor reception problems? Where are you located and how does it compare to your old phone?

8. jfenton

jfenton Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 31, 2010
    I have way better phone signal than the EVO 3D did, better WIFI than my previous Photon and side by side comparisons with an unrooted EVO 4G, better WIFI and a lower dBm reading here at home.

We don't have 4G here so I can't comment on that.

BenChase7 likes this.
  9. amimemeami

amimemeami Newbie
    None

Jul 13, 2011
    BMET II
    Kansas City, MO
    My ET4G arrives tonight, and my wife has the photon, I will do some side by side test comparisons. Does anyone have suggestions for bench mark apps that do signal and data speeds?

BenChase7 and eluno like this.
  10. unplugged1

unplugged1 Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 19, 2009
    Irvine, CA
    I like the "Network Signal Test" because it is a pure cellular signal and wi-fi test. There is nothing else to gum up the battery or run in the background. Once you turn it off, it's off.

For download comparison, I use "Speed Test". This is the benchmark speed test that nearly everyone use for testing download speeds.

11. tenyc424

tenyc424 Newbie
    None

Jul 17, 2011
    Please let us know how it turns out. As much as I love this phone I've been roaming a lot. I had a blackberry before and never had signal problems but with the epic it seems I'm getting less bars than my blackberry. I heard the photon has a strong radio.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member
    None

May 11, 2010
    social worker
    Just for kicks I ran speed test a few times against my coworkers unrooted Evo 4g because I was worried about the crappy 3g speeds I was getting (no 4g in my area). I know its not the most accurate test, so I ran it several times.
    It turned out that we were getting about the same results. They would switch off beating eachother by a small margin. It was just bad coverage. I think this is significant because the evo 4g is supposed to have pretty good antennas.

13. cybersar

cybersar Lurker
    None

Aug 12, 2011
    New to all this smartphone stuff but will pass on what I have found so far. I have had the photon since launch and today picked up an epic touch for the wife. I was somewhat disapointed because I was falling in love with the epic and was thinking I made a bad decision by not waiting for it.

It sounded better than I thought it would and the signal strength was better than my photon (-103 to -100dbm). I made a few calls to a landline from a really bad spot in our house and the photon sounded great. The epic, even with better signal measurement, went to roaming and could not complete the call. Tried it 4 times and the epic failed every time while the photon locked on and made a good sounding call without trying to roam. I even turned off roaming on the epic and it wouldn't do anything.

Walked into another room and the epic grabbed signal. I'll test some more in deifferent locations but I think the photon may be better in weak signal areas.

14. BenChase7

BenChase7 Android Expert
    None

Jun 16, 2010
    Male
    RN
    Phoenix
    well, just to report back (I was post #2 in this thread)... The first day I had my Epic Touch, it dropped 3 calls and it made me concerned about the radios in the phone. But since, I have had time to make quite a few calls and have had no issues what-so-ever. Must have just been a bad day, or something. I'm really glad, because this phone is simply AWESOME! I'm more than happy with my decision to get this... and no dropped calls at all. I guess I just jumped the gun.

15. sophie999

sophie999 Newbie
    None

Sep 10, 2011
    Came from TP2. The minute I opened my epic touch, it started roaming on Verizon, although that went away in 10 min or so.

I live in a great sprint coverage area, and always had full bars on TP. I know bars do not mean much, but...

Made a few phone calls and everything was OK. Speakerphone is loud but distorts at high volumes.

As a side note, my Nexus touch 4G has only 1 bar!

I do feel that TP radio was better than both of the Sammy phones, but this is not objective.

16. Jore

Jore Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 9, 2011
    California
    I've had my Touch for a couple days, upgraded from an EVO 4G. I do notice the signal is alot weaker than the EVO. Especially noticeable at work. While streaming online radio with the TOUCh, it occasionally has to buffer. When I had the EVO, never had the buffering issue. I haven't had any dropped calls as of yet but when I'm on calls on the TOUCH there are moments when its scratchy almost feeling like its going to drop.

I've since updated the profile and PRL several times and it seems like its gotten a little better, but could just be luck with signal.

17. johnkim575

johnkim575 Newbie
    None

Jun 7, 2010
    Hate to say it but yes, but the signal is not as strong as the evo 4g. But not enough to be a deal breaker.

18. neotoky

neotoky Lurker
    None

Sep 27, 2011
    I am having the same issue. Signal strength isn't good on this phone. I had the palm pixi and I always had good reception at home and at work. It also warns me of roaming when I supposedly lose signal. I also have no service whatsoever at work. I never had that issue on my crappy palm pixi. What the hell Samsung and Sprint?

19. Jore

Jore Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 9, 2011
    California
    Yeah the reception issue sucks. I was able to get decent reception at the gym with the EVO, but with the TOUCH on/off. This may or may not be a deal breaker for me. I've had the TOUCH for less than a week so I have some time to decide if having a SWEET phone outweighs the poor reception issue.

20. HotInEER

HotInEER Newbie
    None

Jan 12, 2010
    I can't talk about the Photon, but coming from the OG Evo I can tell you that my Epic 4g Touch has horrible 3g data speeds in comparison. It has gotten a little better over the last few days, which is weird, I have updated the PRL an profile several times hoping this would help. But, In buildings sometimes my 3g is worthless, my wife still has her Evo she uses and it loads much faster, so I know it's not the network. But, like I said earlier it has gotten better but a little alarming considering everything else about the phone is spectacular, the 4g is solid also. I don't think it's a big enough issue for me to take back, because it's very rare i'm in a place that doesn't have wi-fi. I still think I will keep it, because it's hands down the best phone I have ever owned, the speed, the screen is flawless, no lag, very smooth, and the battery life is spectacular. I can get 12-18 hours with moderate to heavy use. The Evo battery life was horrible without the extended battery. The Epic is just a beautiful phone. I hope that a update to the phone can fix some of the signal issues. My phone has been on for 5 hours now and I'm still at 91% batery life.

I have heard that Sprint has been updating their network, and that's why some of the data speeds have been up and down. My wife has been thinking about the photon, but, she doesn't like the appearance of it, she likes the way the Epic 4g Touch looks better.