• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How's the Typing / Keyboard?

I don't actually have one of these but I played with one for a good half hour in an AT&T store today... The keyboard may seem small
but I had absolutely no problem typing on it in both portrait and landscape...and this is coming from an iPhone user (switching to android soon) so I've been using a touch-keyboard for two years...

Plus, with swype coming out (yes there's the whole side-load thing but there's a work-around for that) a lot of people seem to love swype. So that should work fine.

Overall though it didn't seem too cramped, and I've got normal sized guy hands.

Reactions: anoid
Upvote 0
I went to the Verizon store today to compare my Aria to the Incredible. It appears that the physical dimensions are identical, except for the Incredible being taller. So the screen widths are the same, which makes the keyboards the same size. So it shouldn't be any more difficult to type with the Aria than the Incredible/N1/Desire while in portrait mode.

Upvote 0
I've never texted and until yesterday the only screen typing I've done is at kiosks, so this was my first experience with typing this way and I've pretty much mastered it right away. At first I went slow because I was sure that I was going to be screwing up a lot but I quickly ended up typing as fast as I felt comfortable and am quite surprised to see VERY few mistakes.

The predictive text is sometimes helpful, but it usually only figures out what word I'm trying to type by the time I'm down to needing the last letter or two, so it's a bit useless in that regard. But for someone having a hard time and going slow I'm sure it'd be a godsend.

Even in portrait mode the typing, albeit cramped, is pretty dead on.

Upvote 0
I don't actually have one of these but I played with one for a good half hour in an AT&T store today... The keyboard may seem small
but I had absolutely no problem typing on it in both portrait and landscape...and this is coming from an iPhone user (switching to android soon) so I've been using a touch-keyboard for two years...

Plus, with swype coming out (yes there's the whole side-load thing but there's a work-around for that) a lot of people seem to love swype. So that should work fine.

Overall though it didn't seem too cramped, and I've got normal sized guy hands.

I agree, I used in store a few days ago and it is similar to an iPhone, but it vibrates when you type. Which I actually like. When you first see the keyboard it does look small but I didn't have a single issue with it in landscape or portrait. Can't wait to get this.

Upvote 0
They typing is pretty good overall. I've gotten used to just typing in portrait(on my Eternity I had to type in landscape, was a limitation of the phone) and just use it now. The predictive/error correction is pretty good, I almost never use the predictive but the error correction is sweet. It allows me to make tons of minor mistakes without worrying. I'm getting faster and faster at it :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones