• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

how's your SWYPE after FROYO?

stephlu2k

Jul 20, 2010
Mine has gone nuts! It keeps on replacing common words with names in my address book, for example, "yiu" always comes on when I try to swype "you", then i have to highlight, select "you", then exit the hidden word hint thing. I have deleted "yiu" from the SWYPE library, but everytime I restart the phone, it comes back again! Also I find myself needing to correct words a lot more often now than before. I consider myself an advanced SWYPER (i used to be able to SWYPE a decent email with just my right thumb), now it's getting frustrating! I have read people saying just give it time and it will re-learn the words you use most, but it's been over 2 weeks...how much longer does it need?

I posted this same question at SWYPE forum, and got this repsonse from SWYPE admin, guess have to live with it until get update or have to root the phone

Unfortunately these are all known issues with the version of Swype that comes with the latest update for the Captivate. We have made an update to Swype available to Samsung but it is up to them when to deliver that upgrade to your device. We're very sorry for the problems
frown.png

Upvote 0
wow...i come on here once in awhile to see what threads and new topics people come up with and i have to say that to see your topic was dead on. Just today i was thinking about how fed up i have gotten with my swyping over the past month or two.
I kept thinking to myself why?...why is it suddenly so bad and i didnt put two and two together...that it had been bad since the update of froyo about two months ago.
There must be something to your point because i am having to highlight mispelled words daily to remove them from the swype dictionary...i have to try several times to get a word right and sometimes i even give up and manually enter the characters of a word...one at a time..........
i realize a couple said no diff in posts after your OP but i agree wholeheartedly that something is wrong.
the funny thing is using the memo app is so dead on...it almost never makes an error while swyping.

but in my emails or other uses of swype its bad.......

Upvote 0
Is it possible to delete words that come default on swype? I know how to delete words that I myself have added to the dictionary but I seem unable to delete words that came preinstalled with swype. As in lsat instead of last. Why in the HELL would I ever want to say lsat (isn't that some test?) instead of last! Not only does it always lsat it is a pain in the ass to get last to even SHOW UP in the replacement word list when you double tap it. Reinbeu, I have serendipity 6.2 like you...so guess this question goes to you!

Upvote 0
I've not upgraded to Froyo and this doesn't make me want to... my question is related but on old Swype: does anyone know how to get into the default dictionary and delete words in bulk? I'd like to get rid of lots of these asinine abbreviations, many of them stuck onto numbers. I am pretty confident that I will NEVER want to use the abbreviation "2morro", when it's so easy to swype "tomorrow", but I would like to use the "2" key. As it is I usually swype times etc as text ("Twenty past two"). Like Endoran, I can't seem to delete the defaults at all, and for my own entries I would like to be able to get rid of a bunch of one-off words that I don't want to keep re-using.

Upvote 0
I don't think there is a way to delete words already stored in SWYPE library unless you were the one that added them. However according to SWYPE admin, the latest beta fixes a lot of issues, so if you are rooted, see the thread below to get the latest beta. If you are not rooted, guess you have to wait with me for the next update from AT&T (who knows when?)

http://androidforums.com/captivate-all-things-root/296154-swype-trail-period-ended.html

Upvote 0
Mine has gone nuts! It keeps on replacing common words with names in my address book, for example, "yiu" always comes on when I try to swype "you", then i have to highlight, select "you", then exit the hidden word hint thing. I have deleted "yiu" from the SWYPE library, but everytime I restart the phone, it comes back again! Also I find myself needing to correct words a lot more often now than before. I consider myself an advanced SWYPER (i used to be able to SWYPE a decent email with just my right thumb), now it's getting frustrating! I have read people saying just give it time and it will re-learn the words you use most, but it's been over 2 weeks...how much longer does it need?

yes, yes yes yes yes.

love/ hate froyo right now.

Upvote 0
I hated Swype on the new AT&T froyo, so I used Titanium to uninstall it, then deleted the lib.swype file in system/lib using Root Explorer. THEN used the Swype beta installer to install the latest beta. Now Swpe is working great again!
Seems like alot of work, but it was well worth having a functional Swype keyboard again.

Reactions: plummy
Upvote 0
I have Cognition 4.1 and I stopped using Swype recently. It seem to be less accurate as time went on. I got frustrated having to constantly re-enter words. It can't spell "you're" right ever. I always get your.

I tried installing the new beta, but it wanted an account name and password from me.

It's free to sign up for an account on the Swype website, and just takes a minute to do.

Reactions: Bish0p34
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones