1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root HOWTO: Flash latest leaked Gingerbread

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by maerlim, Sep 13, 2011.

1. maerlim

maerlim Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 9, 2010
    Missouri
    Is Froyo not working for you? The latest leaked official Gingerbread (KH3) is working pretty well. This procedure will get you on a stock non-rooted Gingerbread ROM with the least amount of trouble. I've done this several times now on several different Captivates.

** Please heed all warnings on the following link's OP's. You can mess up your phone doing this if you aren't careful. Please seek support in the XDA threads as I don't read the Captivate forums here very much anymore and I'm not a developer myself. Also if you were ever told in elementary school that you don't follow directions very well, stay away from this post. (Yes, I understand the irony in that last sentence.) **

1) Make sure you have Captivate drivers installed on your PC. I think my stickied post from last year still has download links to them.

2) I recommend you download the Android SDK from here. Get the minimum install so you have "adb" on your computer. adb is a command-line utility that allows you to issue commands to your phone. I will be referencing it in these instructions as it's really the easiest way to do certain things (but it is not the ONLY way).

3) Follow this link. This will get you Gingerbread bootloaders. This is the trickiest part as flashing bootloaders can be dangerous. The one-click utility uses Odin, which is a little particular about which USB you're plugged into on your computer. My advice is to make sure you're plugged into USB 2.0 that's directly on your motherboard. Not a USB hub or front-facing USB on your case. FYI the easiest way to reboot into download mode is to issue the command "adb reboot download" from a command prompt on your computer.
    [MOD][BOOTLOADERS]AT&T GB Bootloaders - xda-developers

4) Follow this link to get the stock ROM. The instructions in this post assume you have Clockwork Mod (CWM), which if you don't know what it is you don't have it. Instead of doing the factory reset with CWM, you can do the factory reset from within Android. Again, the easiest way to reboot into download mode is to use "adb reboot download" in a command prompt.
    [STOCK ROM]I897UCKH3 - Android 2.3.4 i897/i896/i9088/i9010 - bootloader free - xda-developers

You should now be on stock Gingerbread (version KH3). Enjoy!

Options:
    Update your Gingerbread kernel with one that has CWM (use Odin, place the kernel in the "PDA" slot):
    [Kernel][KH3]StocKH3 Kernel AKA Boog Kernel[Updated 9/11/11]w/Clockwork Recovery - xda-developers

Now that you have CWM, you can flash all kinds of ROMs. For one that comes rooted and tweaked out of the box while retaining that stock feel I recommend:
    [ROM][2.3.4][Gingerbread KH3] ♦ Pinnacle 1.2 ♦ 09/10 - xda-developers

Advertisement

dougouk likes this.
  2. dougouk

dougouk Newbie
    None

Jul 22, 2011
    Does this mean I don't have to root my phone in the first place?

3. davep13

davep13 Member
    None

Apr 7, 2011
    Texas
    It would helpful if you wanted to use Titanium backup to back up your stuff and then restore it.

dougouk likes this.
  4. dougouk

dougouk Newbie
    None

Jul 22, 2011
    Also my Captivate is not from AT&T, it's from Rogers (Canada).

Would that affect anything?

5. davep13

davep13 Member
    None

Apr 7, 2011
    Texas
    I think it does, but honestly I don't know exactly what all you have to do differently. In that case, you might not be able to follow the instructions in the first post. You could browse around on this forum as well as XDA and see if there any instructions specific for Rogers Captivate.

dougouk likes this.
  6. maerlim

maerlim Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 9, 2010
    Missouri
    Check those XDA threads. I *think* the Rogers Captivate will work. They'll be able to tell you for sure.