1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Howto: Free 3G Mobile Hotspot, AP Mode Tethering

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by FreeWELL, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Steven58

Steven58 Recognized Incompetent Moderator

I tried both methods, because I'm on vacation and have no wifi. The Wireless Tether came in a touch faster than the 3g hotspot on Speedtest.net. My guess is that it's a false reading. Why would WT be faster than 3gHS?

Advertisement

2. sleepsafe

sleepsafe Member

Apples and oranges. In the above example you are getting something for nothing.

I'm paying VZW for UNLIMITED data service. I don't think VZW should take my money for UNLIMITED data service, and then stipulate how I access that data. :cool:

3. tom108

tom108 Android Expert

just depends on what servers you were being routed through at the time.

4. sund0wn

sund0wn Android Expert

it's not apples and oranges. you are getting data throughput to your computer, and the unlimited data plan is not intended for that.

even if my metaphor is no good, it is still stealing. the plan is intended to be unlimited for your phone only. just because you think you should be able to use it however you want, doesnt make it so. if is against the terms of your contract with your provider, but you alter your device and do it anyway, it is stealing.

that's like saying that you should be able to bring your whole family to the all-you-can-eat buffet for $9.95 (because it's "all you can eat", so they shouldnt stipulate how you utilize that deal). unlimited data is for the data going TO your phone, not THROUGH your phone. they are the provider, and they get to determine the terms of the deal. if you dont like those terms, and you think the rules should be different, then you dont have to pay for it.
    verizon is very clear that a phone is not to be used to tether unless you pay for it, in which case the data used is limited.

i'm not judging. i've used wireless tether too. and i was stealing when i did it. just dont wonder why unlimited data plans are gone in the not so distant future.

tom108 likes this.
  5. Outlaw71

Outlaw71 Android Expert

A battery pull cleared up my connection issue. Now to the question of whether or not it's right to use it...

I suppose I justify Wireless Tether by way of saying that I'm paying for the data that my phone consumes already, and while I'm tethering my computer I'm only using data that I would already be consuming with my phone, and projecting it through my computer onto my 65 inch tv.... because it's not like I'm using my phone simultaneously while I'm tethering, so it's the same data I would have been using anyhow. Now, I'm not saying that it isn't technically wrong, just my justification I suppose.

Now with the hotspot, I guess without a doubt I can say that this is technically stealing as soon as anything else at all connects to the device and uses data, because that isn't data that I've already paid for through my unlimited data plan. I pay them for data that my phone uses, not someone else's phone, iPod or PSP.

So yeah, it's stealing alright.

6. Piiman

Piiman Android Expert

never mind.................

7. eraursls1984

eraursls1984 Android Expert

That's how I feel, I'm just using what I would on my phone to see it better on my pc. Hotspot should have a way to secure the network so you can control who is using you hotspot data

8. sleepsafe

sleepsafe Member

I think you can set up the hotspots with security. Mine asks for a password when I sign on. That is with the ad hoc access. Not sure about the wireless tether method.

9. KS-X10

KS-X10 Lurker

I don't see it as stealing.. You have to pay for internet access because the phone requires a data plan.. So why not use the same access the way you want? Who uses it as a hotspot and surfs at the same time from the phone? almost no one...

I see it like this.. If you bought a internet plan for your house and could only use it down stairs where it is tied to your desk top PC and printer. But then you get a new high speed laptop with a built in wireless card because your internet connection is so much butter now. And the Internet company tells you it will be another $20 for the additional computer.

And say now you don't want to keep flipping out the cable and buy a wireless router and can now have both the desk top PC and your new laptop on at the same time. You don't consider that stealing.. you just figure your using your internet connection to best serve your needs.. Oh yeah what if the provider tells you that you could be charged for the printer as well because you bought the new one that can now be tied to the internet and you can print to it from where ever you are.

10. bugeyeblue

bugeyeblue Well-Known Member

I'm able to connect my computer to my x. But when I try to go to a website on my computer, it says "page not found", as if I wasn't connected to the internet. I toggle the cell radio off and back on, and can't seem to figure out why this is happening.

11. bugeyeblue

12. bugeyeblue

Nevermind, I just rooted instead.

13. cbanning

cbanning Well-Known Member

using what? How did you do it, how hard was it?
    I used the "easy switch" last night on my ipad, but it was intermittent. Lost the signal like three times in a half hour.

14. vijaykhai

vijaykhai Newbie

Please forgive me if I am posting this in the wrong thread - NEW to Android world in addition to being only 70+ yrs. young and learning. I recently got a WITS A81E Android 2.2 tablet (Witstech A81E Android 2.2,800MHz CPU Market+Free Case+Bluetooth Removable battery

Enjoying using it at home with my WIFI router. It has no 3G option and neither can I use USB dongle, I am told to get Int. connectivity. From what little I understood reading your thread, it appears that you have a solution - obviously beyond my limited knowhow. Can somebody give me a solution in simple lang. how I can solve my problem for connectivity just using a cell phone ( any part. model?) - not too complicated I hope! Thanks.
    Vijay

15. eraursls1984

The method in this thread is using the Motorola Droid X from Verizon to send the 3g connection through WiFi. Other Android phones may be able to do this also but I'm not sure the same method would work. Do you have a smartphone? if so, what kind, maybe someone can point you in the right direction.

16. vijaykhai

vijaykhai Newbie

Thank you Erausis for taking the trouble. I have a very old motorola v170 - do not use it much in los angeles as home bound mostly. However I will be travelling to India, thailand etc. soon and intend to get a 4band smartphone - hence all these preparatory quest. Much obliged for any help and guidance.

17. Outlaw71

Outlaw71 Android Expert

Hmmmmm.... in the soon to be released software update they list 'wifi connectivity and stability issues' as being addressed. Me wonders if they're sending out a patch to close this loophole that's been uncovered?

18. Capeguy

Capeguy Member

19. mazz0310

mazz0310 Android Enthusiast

I think a patch would have to come through the 3G hotspot app, not through the phone software.

20. eraursls1984

They may even have to update both.

21. Bankswood

Bankswood Android Expert

OK, glad to see so many people benefiting from this thread. However I still can't get this thing going. I downloaded "Easy tether", st it up to toggle the radio, my hotspot starts up fine. My laptop finds the wifi connection and shows a strong signal. I ge the Verizon provisioning page. For some reason my "Easy Tethering" switch will not turn my radio off while my hotspot is on. If I turn off the hotspot the :Easy Tethering" will turn off my radio. Any suggestions?

22. Kelemvor

Kelemvor Member

So it's a couple months later. Can everyone verify that no one had any extra charges and that the app still works? I'm looking ot install it on my Optimus (Sprint) as we're going out of town in a couple weeks and would love to still get online without using a cord...

23. firebuff20

firebuff20 Newbie

Hey guys im a newbie to the ex and I was looking to connect my laptop to the net using the info provided, and its not working. I downloaded easyswitch and set it to the "cell tower" switch and turned on the hotspot. My laptop connects to the phone, but says it has limited connectivity. Then I open browser and it says cannot load page.
    I read threw this post and didn't come across a solution. Any ideas for this newbie? Thanks for your time guys.

24. apavolka

apavolka Android Enthusiast

I don't think this method works anymore. I tried and it didn't work.

25. Bankswood

Bankswood Android Expert

+1. I have tried it several times since the .340 OTA and can't get it to work. It seems that when you toggle thr radio off it shuts down thr hot spot.