• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Howto install DATA2SD: Guide

What rom are you on now?

You can use any sense rom (with init.d support) and flash the data2sd installer, so if you already have a custom sense rom, you wont need step 5.

Droidzone, your installer used to remove a2sd scripts didnt it? Why now a separate zip?

Dan,
If the Data2sd code is injected immediately after rom install (minus a2sd scripts), it will cause bootloops. At least one normal boot after a2sd scripts are removed, is needed. Hence the additional procedure.

Reactions: Borat38
Upvote 0
Oh wait, I have EXT3 partition, so I guess I'll have to do the whole wipe-partition-flash bit again for the EXT4.

Note the order of partitions. Fat32 followed by any ext-ext2,3 or 4. ext2/3 will be auto converted to ext4 by the script

Yeah you will. But you can wipe, repartition in Recovery using gparted then flash the zips.

Dan, we've been seeing performance issues when partitioning is done with recovery. So as per Sibere's recommendations, it's best to go for Gparted partitioning with MB alignment.

@Borat, it is easier with StarBurst, sure, since the Rom doesnt have any remains of the a2sd script. Plus, it by default has some performance enhancing system file patches. And StarBurst has the latest Sibere scripts (Dalvik2nand-better performance, and removes some bugs in original script), which Sibere has yet to release on his thread

But you can use Leedroid/Aurax with no issues, but performance may not be on par (not a biggie).

Reactions: Borat38
Upvote 0
I havent tested the script on such a configuration. I'm inclined to believe that it will fail/show errors.

What you need is one fat32 followed by one ext4.

If it's stock rom which you rooted by yourself, it will NOT have ext4 support..

I will be uploading a stock rooted rom for this, on Xda very soon..You can easily use that.

Edit: By the way, the Rom dev mentions on the rom post, whether the kernel supports ext4..Most newer roms do..includingf Lee, Aurax etc..

Saw this above. So does it mean the kernel in my phone (2.6.32.15-leedroid_2.3 snq@drone #1) is already EXT4-capable?

Edit: okay, got it! Many thanks!

Upvote 0
Just a testament to Starburst 1.3.3.4's (w/ Tiny Data2SD) flawlessness (thus far)--

I've been on Starburst since yesterday, and there is a noticeable improvement in speed, particularly with simultaneous downloads from Market, as well as flipping between apps.

Hooray droidzone! Now to wait for the Nand bug-free Data2SD script in the works (W, or is it X?)

Upvote 0
Just a testament to Starburst 1.3.3.4's (w/ Tiny Data2SD) flawlessness (thus far)--

I've been on Starburst since yesterday, and there is a noticeable improvement in speed, particularly with simultaneous downloads from Market, as well as flipping between apps.

Hooray droidzone! Now to wait for the Nand bug-free Data2SD script in the works (W, or is it X?)

It is X version, the most advanced code

Upvote 0
Hey guys. I hate to bump this up so far but I'm really, really curious about something and I'm not able to find it on Google anywhere.

Is this guide suitable for any Android device? Or is this exclusive to HTCs in general?

Reason I ask is I just set up Link2SD on my LG Optimus T, and it works great. But a user had recommended this process to me prior to me getting Link2SD, while another user suggested against it since it looked like the guide was HTC only. However, he/she may have based that on the fact this was posted in the HTC forum.

So is this method agnostic to the type of brand/make/model Android device you have? Or should I steer clear?

As always, thanks for the help guys!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones