• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HP Touchpad help

slcjr

Lurker
Mar 8, 2012
I bought a touchpad from a dude and he was trying to install android os and failed. Now when i try and do it step to step it wont install. ive tried both cm7 and 9 and also ACMEInstaller 1 and 2 for both and still cant get nothing out of it. any advice or is it just corrupted

Looks like the original poster abandoned this thread so I'm hijacking it to request help on this topic.
I made the mistake of attempting to load ICS on my HP Touchpad while trying to help my son with his homework and listening to my spouse complain about a quilt she was doing and ran out of fabric. And, I screwed up...

What first happened was that I used Installer3 instead of Installer2 because I was unable to find a copy of Installer2. After installing, my Touchpad would loop through attempting to load Cyanogen then, after failing it would go back to the menu screen and try again.

After finally fining Installer2, I reloaded ICS and I still have the same problem.

So, my HP is NOT bricked, it just gives me a menu that I must select WebOS to get my HP to work.

Question:
Should I use Webdoc to reset things? I'm assuming it will also clear the partition with Cyanogen.

Upvote 0
Looks like the original poster abandoned this thread so I'm hijacking it to request help on this topic.
I made the mistake of attempting to load ICS on my HP Touchpad while trying to help my son with his homework and listening to my spouse complain about a quilt she was doing and ran out of fabric. And, I screwed up...

What first happened was that I used Installer3 instead of Installer2 because I was unable to find a copy of Installer2. After installing, my Touchpad would loop through attempting to load Cyanogen then, after failing it would go back to the menu screen and try again.

After finally fining Installer2, I reloaded ICS and I still have the same problem.

So, my HP is NOT bricked, it just gives me a menu that I must select WebOS to get my HP to work.

Question:
Should I use Webdoc to reset things? I'm assuming it will also clear the partition with Cyanogen.

I had a similar problem upgrading a Touchpad using the installer3. It would just loop and not boot up. I think the problem is that CM9 does not install well when other stuff is being installed at the same time.

The way I solved the problem is by copying over a fresh copy of CM9 zip to Touchpad and then installing it from the recovery.

First, go into the recovery and select 'mount USB'. Connect the Touchpad to your PC and you should have access. Copy over a good known copy of CM9 (and gapp).

Once the copy is over, unmount the USB and disconnect it from the PC. Now clear data, system, and cache.

Install the CM9 zip. Reboot and hopefully everything should work.

Upvote 0
Sorry Jeff, the guide you followed to download that build is nasty-old. (Full of bugs should have enough of a clue to not install it.) :D

I'd grab the latest nightly and gApps (Google apps) from the download section here: [ROM] Official CyanogenMod 9 Nightly Build Discussion - CyanogenMod [HP Touchpad] - RootzWiki

You can boot into WebOS, connect your computer via usb and copy your files to the root (main area) of the sdcard. Then reboot WebOS until the moboot menu comes up and select ClockworkMod Recovery and install cm9, then gApps.

This (dated) video may help you, once you have the files copied. He uses older files than the ones you need to download. Because of this, you should be able to skip to about 4 minutes in and start watching. How to Install CM9 Nightly Builds on the HP Touchpad - YouTube

He tells how to boot into recovery and install this rom. This is what you need to do:

• Download the files to your PC.
  • Boot into WebOS and copy the latest nightly and Google apps to your sdcard.
  • Reboot and from moboot menu, choose Clockworkmod Recovery.
  • Format data (important since what you have not isn't bootable), format cache and wipe Dalvik cache (Rev Kyle will tell you how to do that).
  • Flash the nightly rom, then flash the google apps.
  • Reboot.

Upvote 0
Well, I almost have it.
Cyanogen now loads after I used the newer build but I had loaded it using the ACMEinstaller3.
There seems to be no sdcard directory when I try and view my HP Touchpad from my attached PC.
Also, my moboot does not have a Clockworkmod Recovery option. Just the following is displayed:
=====================
moboot 0.3.5
boot webos <-this works
boot CyanogenMod <-this works
boot webOS Recovery <-I think this works
reboot<-this works
shutdown<-this works
======================
I have a cminstall directory with the following files remaining after I try and reinstall using ACMEInstaller3:
gapps-ics-20120429-signed
recovery-clockwork-tenderloin-1012

I'm assuming that I need to somehow boot cyanogenmod recovery somehow but cannot figure out how to get there.

Upvote 0
If the files are still in the directory, that means they didn't flash. Make sure the files are intact (not incomplete), by opening them with a program like WinRar, Winzip or other archive program and try again to flash them. If you can get CWM to install, you could install gApps from recovery.

I thought (assumed) that you already had cwm flashed and listed in moboot.

If they don't flash with acme3, you could try acme2.

You can also try re-downloading cwm from here: Goo.im Downloads - Browsing recovery

Reactions: jeffberk
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones