• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HP Touchpad with ICS "SD Card Removed" Problem

I have a TP with 32gb memory running Android ICS. ICS worked fine the first few weeks after install, but now after booting I get an error message that says "SD Card Removed" even though I'm not using an SD card. The basic functions still work, but I can't use any app stored in memory because I get a message saying they aren't installed.

Any suggestions?

Sounds like you installed too many apps and moved a bunch of them to the sdcard.

What version of ICS? (old or recent)? if you can get into settings see if you can find the build date (settings... about tablet)

If it's old, you might be able to fix it by flashing a recent nightly build, like July 7th or later (plus the latest Google apps of course).

Upvote 0
Have a question about CM9 and yes this may be a "noob" question but for some reason I'm having a brain fart... I'm running the latest nightly (11-18-2012)I believe, the gapps I installed and always have is the ICS gapps one (the last 3 digits of the download is 429 or 439) someone was trying to tell me that I could use the latest JB gapps instead? For some reason I have suspension he is incorrect any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank You

Upvote 0
Have a question about CM9 and yes this may be a "noob" question but for some reason I'm having a brain fart... I'm running the latest nightly (11-18-2012)I believe, the gapps I installed and always have is the ICS gapps one (the last 3 digits of the download is 429 or 439) someone was trying to tell me that I could use the latest JB gapps instead? For some reason I have suspension he is incorrect any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank You

I'm using the 429 (gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip) version on my Touchpad with no issues. From what I know of things, this is the version you'll want to use. I don't know that you can't use the JB gapps but, like you, I suspect it could lead to problems and I'd stick with the 4/29 version.

Reactions: Brasco716
Upvote 0

You are correct in your suspicion. JB gapps is intended to be installed with Jelly Bean. April 29 ICS gapps is the correct date gapps for ics. If you ever have a question about what gapps to install with what version of Android, go have a look here:

Goo.im Downloads - Browsing gapps

Reactions: Brasco716
Upvote 0
I'm using the 429 (gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip) version on my Touchpad with no issues. From what I know of things, this is the version you'll want to use. I don't know that you can't use the JB gapps but, like you, I suspect it could lead to problems and I'd stick with the 4/29 version.

Yeah Mogelijk I was planning on it, just needed to be 100% sure about it... ya know Hahah! Thanks for the response, Appreciate it

You are correct in your suspicion. JB gapps is intended to be installed with Jelly Bean. April 29 ICS gapps is the correct date gapps for ics. If you ever have a question about what gapps to install with what version of Android, go have a look here:

Goo.im Downloads - Browsing gapps

Yeah Nevertells that's what I thought and was trying to get through to him, but we always tell him bro ur hard headed! :p Thanks for the help too, The Link definitely narrows what I was looking for down!

Upvote 0
I have an HP touch pad with ICS nightly build 20130229 and gapps version 20120429 but I still got the SD card removed error after installing 50+ apps on the SD a card. I had gotten the error earlier on installing 40+ apps. then I uninstalled those apps and installed the latest nightly build ans the gapps version stated above. I even applied the fix that was given for cm7. Please advise.

Upvote 0
Nothing good comes from moving apps to your sdcard. Eventually you get bit.

I suggested that link because I thought you'd find more help there than you would here.
What's wrong with moving apps to SDcard? I know some apps aren't movable and some apps aren't recommended to be moved. Why not move the remainder?

I tend to move all that can be moved so I don't run out of internal storage. I try to limit the number of apps I install to only those I really use because every app installed is potential for errors. Still I use quite a few apps.

Upvote 0
Calibrate me. Isn't the amount of persistent storage partitioned? Might there be an advantage to attempting to move apps? I'm thinking yes.

You all are treating the TouchPad like it's a designed, engineered and built device that was made to run Android, it's not. The CM team managed to get Android working on it, but it's not a perfect implementation. J.C. Sullins went to a lot of trouble to write a patch that increases the internal storage partition so one does not have to move apps off to the (FAKE) SD card in the TouchPad and risk running into the 50 app limit. I believe that it was mentioned previously that the moving apps off to the SD card was intended for REAL Android devices that have a REAL external SD card slot. We can all thank HP for not putting one on the TouchPad, but you cannot fault the CM team for not getting Android perfect on the TouchPad.

Upvote 0
So I did apply the fix from that link and it even worked. It did not give any SD card error but then after few more apps I am back to square one. I want to install many apps and I don't want to use up my internal storage as it will slow down my tablet. Will installing cm10 make any difference?

What fix did you apply? Go read my post to stef7 about this. Hopefully that explains this for you sufficiently. As long as one has enough internal memory, it's not going to slow down the device and the memory fix from the link Colchiro posted does that. And the memory fix works for all versions of CM.

Upvote 0
You all are treating the TouchPad like it's a designed, engineered and built device that was made to run Android, it's not. The CM team managed to get Android working on it, but it's not a perfect implementation. J.C. Sullins went to a lot of trouble to write a patch that increases the internal storage partition so one does not have to move apps off to the (FAKE) SD card in the TouchPad and risk running into the 50 app limit. I believe that it was mentioned previously that the moving apps off to the SD card was intended for REAL Android devices that have a REAL external SD card slot. We can all thank HP for not putting one on the TouchPad, but you cannot fault the CM team for not getting Android perfect on the TouchPad.

I'm not sure this is actually true. From what I recall, I've read that the Touchpad was initially built for Android and was switched to WebOS after HP bought Palm. I also recall that HP did have Android working on the Touchpad -- in fact a few Touchpad buyers got machines with Android instead of WebOS. After the Android versions of the Touchpad shipped, HP released their Android Kernel for the Touchpad.

Upvote 0
What fix did you apply? Go read my post to stef7 about this. Hopefully that explains this for you sufficiently. As long as one has enough internal memory, it's not going to slow down the device and the memory fix from the link Colchiro posted does that. And the memory fix works for all versions of CM.

I'm running CM10 circa 2013. I don't know what patch you are referring to, but isn't the internal memory partitioned? if yes, then I think it *could* matter if you move stuff.

I could be incorrect; I was looking for and asked for a more descriptive explanation. I'm far from stupid. (Most of the time). :smokingsomb:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones