• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC 10 stuck boot loop I feel like a dumbass :(

techsavvy01

Sep 27, 2014
New Jersey USA
I own a rooted htc 10. My dumbass self thought selecting dalvik cache cache & system was the correct way to wipe cache partition in twrp. I was so incorrect. I shouldn't have selected system now my HTC 10 is stuck in boot loop & I wonder if all my personal data on internal storage is gone? Now When I go into twrp I recive this message, twrp mount decrypt data password, what is the password?

As far as the password you should be able to press cancel and then get to the main menu of twrp. From there restore a backup if you had one on your PC or uploaded to a cloud. If not well you could use a RUU or flash a rom.

Data is gone, you wiped everything. Unless you have a backup, not sure if the HTC 10 supports a SD card or not, never seen one in person. If it does and had you had a backup saved to it you ought to be okay.

Upvote 0
As far as the password you should be able to press cancel and then get to the main menu of twrp. From there restore a backup if you had one on your PC or uploaded to a cloud. If not well you could use a RUU or flash a rom.

Data is gone, you wiped everything. Unless you have a backup, not sure if the HTC 10 supports a SD card or not, never seen one in person. If it does and had you had a backup saved to it you ought to be okay.

How is my data gone? I did not select data in twrp wipe option. I tapped on advanced wipe cache I selected dalvik cache, cache, & system only.

Upvote 0
Ok S off or S on? Swipe to allow then download a rom or a Twrp backup for your device and the same model.

If you don't have a backup make one in twrp to create the twrp backup folder. Then transfer the backup into the twrp backup folder.
Restore the backup you copied to the Twrp backup folder on the device. Or flash a rom.

If you have S off then you could flash a firmware zip with the HTC-fastboot file.

Upvote 0
You could try the backup option but i doubt it would do anything. If sideload works sideload a easy to boot rom like Lineage then backup your data to a cloud.

Then RUU and restore it. If sideload fails well data is gone as you will have to decrypt the storage.

So I use adb sideload to flash lineage rom? Couldn't I just flash lineage rom through twrp? So once I flash lineage rom I will be able to recover the data successfully?

Upvote 0
When you flash Lineage you may just get the error 7 message. if not it'll boot into Lineage. As far as data, if you haven't done anything to wipe it then it should be fine.

Ok good news did not receive error 7 message. Lineage does boot up so no more stuck boot loop However
lineage is asking me for decrypt password. Is this something to do with htc security? Do I have to format data partition in twrp? Will formatting data erase internal storage?

Upvote 0
I would say there is no way around wiping the data at this point.
Choose wipe, advanced wipe, format data, type yes and press enter.

Before you do this. Is there anyone else on the forums with any input?

So let me get this straight, when lineage asks me for password that means data partition is corrupt correct? So if I format data that means internal storage will be erased? If so then I have no choice at this point :(

Upvote 0
Open TWRP, and run factory reset on it. Wipe your data. So, yeah, factory reset.
Then, flash lineage, then gapps. Assume you know how to flash :p
Don't worry about TWRP's decrypt password, just press cancel and do whatever it says. I've done this on a LeEco Le S3 and got the same error, but successfully flashed ROM afterwards.
Anywho, after flashing everything, your phone should go back to normal. No decrypt password should be needed.

Upvote 0
Open TWRP, and run factory reset on it. Wipe your data. So, yeah, factory reset.
Then, flash lineage, then gapps. Assume you know how to flash :p
Don't worry about TWRP's decrypt password, just press cancel and do whatever it says. I've done this on a LeEco Le S3 and got the same error, but successfully flashed ROM afterwards.
Anywho, after flashing everything, your phone should go back to normal. No decrypt password should be needed.

Ok buddy so this won't erase internal storage right?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones