1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

htc amaze 4g S-off

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by duilio1234, Apr 7, 2014.

1. duilio1234

duilio1234 Lurker

My friend said if I turn S off on my htc amaze I can get a custom rom. I looked through some videos and saw that the wire method is the easiest. You run control bear and wait for the right time.. my question is, where exactly do the wires go? Also what specific kind of wire?

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Extreme Android User

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUDSwQbCVF8

As you can see the wire goes between the little hole and the SIM card case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXWIjewVAac gives you a better overview of where the hole is located. The first video shows you a good picture of the hole.

Use any insulated wire. If you find a phone company truck, ask the guy working on it if he has about 6" of scrap wire, about 22 gauge, that he can give you. They usually have little pieces like that lying all over the bed of the truck, from when they cut off a little more than they needed for something. (It's ridiculous to pay $2 for a 5 cent piece of wire that you're only going to use once.) You could also ask an electrician, a ham rdio operator, even a cellphone repair shop. (If you bend it just right and scrape the enamel off the ends, you could even use a piece of wire hanger.) You're just shorting a point on the phone to ground (what the second video refers to as GND).

scotty85 likes this.
  3. duilio1234

duilio1234 Lurker

Okay but i did some more research. You need Ubuntu 12.04 to actually do this. I have windows 8. Can i just run controlbear and do it or will i brick my phone?
    :thinking:

4. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!
    VIP Member

scotty85 likes this.
  5. tube517

tube517 Android Expert

juopunuts bears radio s-off tool requires the wire "trick". Personally, with the Amaze, I never S-off'd it. I rooted and left it S-ON. I could still flash some custom ROMs but could not do alot of modifications.

scotty85 and El Presidente like this.
  6. scotty85

scotty85 Extreme Android User

if youre still looking to s off,you prolly casn use rumrunner,wich will not require the wire trick,and thus is quite a bit easier on the user.

the amaze should have a new enough kernel for it to work. it worked on the rezound,wich is a similar device.

it will require you to unlock the bootloader via htcdev,and then flash a custom rom with an insecure kernel(a feature of most custom roms).

there are windows downloads,but IMO the process is much smoother and reliable on linux,so still consider the ubuntu live cd.

just holler if you have any questions :)

http://rumrunner.us/

El Presidente and tube517 like this.
  7. tube517

tube517 Android Expert

Wish this was around when I had the Amaze but I loved that phone. Sometimes, I think about getting one again.

scotty85 likes this.
  8. xXchrizhurtyXx

xXchrizhurtyXx Android Enthusiast

I can't believe that these forums are still alive 😲😲😲

9. tube517

tube517 Android Expert

:D
    Well, I guess alot of People are switching to T-Mobile..this is one of the better older phones out there...it's not LTE but HSPA+ is nothing to sneeze at. I kind of miss mine now.

10. xXchrizhurtyXx

xXchrizhurtyXx Android Enthusiast

The only downside was the battery life.

HTC Amaze 4G Forum

The HTC Amaze 4G release date was October 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, processor, and 1730mAh battery.

October 2011
Release Date
Reviews