• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC/Android Facebook App Is Useless

weizilla

May 4, 2010
Is it just me or does the Facebook app (both Android and HTC Sense versions) absolutely suck? I just came from a Blackberry Storm and while that phone is horrid, at least they got the Facebook implementation down. The Android app doesn't seem to pick up any notifications or events and I have yet to figure out what the HTC Sense version does other than sync Facebook pictures and spam my phonebook with people I never talk to.

Let me give you some examples of my frustration:

Someone invites me to an event.

On Blackberry: The Facebook e-mail shows up in my gmail inbox but BB filters it out and it shows up as a notification in the Facebook app. I can open up the notification, see all of the event information in the app, including a description, who's invited and it is automatically added to my phone's calendar, along with all relevant information.

On Droid Incredible: The Facebook e-mail shows up in my gmail inbox as an e-mail. No notification because the Facebook app polls. I open the app and refresh everything (notifications, inbox, friends...etc) but the event doesn't show up. With no other choice, I open up the link in the inbox and it brings me to the Facebook Touch (not mobile) site, which only shows the bare minimum information (time and place). No idea how to add it to my calendar other than manually typing in all of the information.

Another example: Someone sends me a facebook message:

On Blackberry: It shows up instantly in the main Message inbox (customizable setting) and when I open that, the app launches and I can reply directly from there.

On Droid: It shows up in my inbox and an e-mail and I have to manually go into the Facebook app, go into the inbox, keep on hitting refresh in hopes that it'll eventually update. Once that happens, I can reply back.

Ok, done ranting.

No notifications, no deleting anything on the wall, no deleting statuses, no deleting posts or photo comments, no chat...etc. It is the worst Face app I have ever seen on mobile phone...iPhone had perfect facebook app last year, I can imagine how good it is now. Why someone on Android scene cannot make app just like that ?? Is it so hard or noone has knowledge needed for that ? It is obvious that iPhone app makers are good in their business. It is a rule, if iPhone has some app, that app is ALWAYS the best in that category, and it ALWAYS look the best, in comparision with Android, WinMo, Symbian or anything else...I am really sad for that, I dont want to buy iPhone again after 2 years of having it :(

Upvote 0
No notifications, no deleting anything on the wall, no deleting statuses, no deleting posts or photo comments, no chat...etc. It is the worst Face app I have ever seen on mobile phone...iPhone had perfect facebook app last year, I can imagine how good it is now. Why someone on Android scene cannot make app just like that ?? Is it so hard or noone has knowledge needed for that ? It is obvious that iPhone app makers are good in their business. It is a rule, if iPhone has some app, that app is ALWAYS the best in that category, and it ALWAYS look the best, in comparision with Android, WinMo, Symbian or anything else...I am really sad for that, I dont want to buy iPhone again after 2 years of having it :(

This is so frustrating. My Pre's facebook app was TEN times better than the Android app. I'm starting to think that the Android market is way more played out than it should be.

I came to the EVO from the Pre, and this app blows. Hardly any functionality at all. Just doesn't make sense.

Same with Amdroid vs. Ampache Mobile. Amdroid makes me want to uninstall my ampache server and forget about how awesome it is to stream music to your phone. What a joke...

Upvote 0
For anybody still using this awful facebook app, I've found the quickest way to get to a half decent fb screen (I think it's the touch one mentioned) is to click on the fb widget, then click profile, then the info tab. Next press the hard menu key (I'm using a desire) and click on view profile. Then you'll be on a much more user friendly version. Sorry to anybody who knew this, but hopefully it will help some.

Upvote 0
Everything you desire is in the newest beta version of Bloo. Don't download the version of bloo on the market, because its the older 1.4 one. The newest version is 1.5 and it has:

Notifications that actually work
Allows you to delete and make comments
Allows you to upload photos and video
Facebook Chat
And a whole bunch of other stuff

The APK is attached if you want. Trust me, it has finally made me leave the mobile website version of facebook because Bloo 1.5 works so well. What still needs some improvement I think is your message inbox. You can view messages but you can't write messages.

Attachments

• dcbloo_free.apk
    560.8 KB · Views: 213
Reactions: facemob
Upvote 0
Things I can think of right now that I don't like about Facebook for Android:

• You can't tag people in images
  • You can't rotate your images
  • You can't view your messages
  • There is no chat (I don't use it anyway)
  • No list of group/like/fan pages you follow

Probably more to follow.

Upvote 0

some apps that are way better on android just so you can sleep well tonight:

1. google maps with navigation (o wait iphone has no navigation)
2. google voice integration (iphone uses the web app)
3. push gmail (altho the app is lacking in some areas... should see some improvements in froyo)

those are 3 integral features of a phone that are much better done on android than iphone.

Upvote 0
Can someone explain something for me? I'm a bit confused...what do you mean by the HTC version and the Android version?

I have an HTC EVO...what version of Facebook do I have and use - it came pre-installed? I'll agree its not great by any means.

I also wonder if its possible to make it so that if it does open in a browser, it doesn't use the regular browser and instead uses Opera or something?

Upvote 0
Can someone explain something for me? I'm a bit confused...what do you mean by the HTC version and the Android version?

I have an HTC EVO...what version of Facebook do I have and use - it came pre-installed? I'll agree its not great by any means.

On the Incredible the HTC version is what is used to pull the updates for the Friend Stream app.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones