• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC ARIA 2.2 from ATT alowing unknown source option!

so i am a noob here but i would like to share this info with all Att users :) i have HTC Aria running android 2.2 non-rooted and i was downloading launchers from the app market, not sure which one allowed me to get the "UNKNOWN SOURCES" OPTION but I will share that i have downloaded AWD.LAUNCHER along with the GINGERBREAD THEME AWD and at the same time downloaded an app just called LAUNCHER and both had flaws i did not enjoy so when i went to delete them in my Applications menu i now have the option to allow non-market app to be instaled :) hope this helps ya'll

so i am a noob here but i would like to share this info with all Att users :) i have HTC Aria running android 2.2 non-rooted and i was downloading launchers from the app market, not sure which one allowed me to get the "UNKNOWN SOURCES" OPTION but I will share that i have downloaded AWD.LAUNCHER along with the GINGERBREAD THEME AWD and at the same time downloaded an app just called LAUNCHER and both had flaws i did not enjoy so when i went to delete them in my Applications menu i now have the option to allow non-market app to be instaled :) hope this helps ya'll

AT&T actually sent you an update that enabled the Unknown Sources option, it was nothing that you did or downloaded. This was publicized last week.

Upvote 0
If you have received the Aria update that allows Unknown Sources, can you post the version it shows? Not sure if the Kernel changes, but it may be needed to. I can not run the AT&T Software Update. Tech support told me to reload the Froyo 2.2 update for it to work. I can not tell from the HTC site if it is a newer version then I had already updated to.

Your version may be helpful.

Upvote 0
I updated and still no "unknown sources" :(

You now need to wait to receive the silent OTA update that will enable "Unknown Sources". Simply installing the upgrade does not do it, it simply puts your phone in a state that can receive the OTA that enables the option.

Some have reported that powering the phone off and then on after installing the upgrade will trigger the OTA.

Upvote 0
You now need to wait to receive the silent OTA update that will enable "Unknown Sources". Simply installing the upgrade does not do it, it simply puts your phone in a state that can receive the OTA that enables the option.

Some have reported that powering the phone off and then on after installing the upgrade will trigger the OTA.

How long is the wait?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones