• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC Aria and Gmail Account

Mred215

Lurker
Aug 4, 2012
Morning All,

Hopefully someone can help me with a perplexing problem.

My wife owns a HTC Aria and when we bought the phone approx 15 months ago I set up a gmail account as we are required to with Android. After about a month my wife dropped the phone and the screen cracked, and instead of getting it repaired she opted to remove the SIM and use my old phone. The HTC sat dormant for about a year before I finally got the phone fixed, and she put her SIM back in to the HTC.

The problem now though is that we cannot sign in to her gmail account in order to update apps and check for operating system updates, and it keeps bringing up an annoying notification to say that sign in to that gmail account keeps failing.

I've tried the google password restore process but they emailed and said they couldn't help.

I can only assume that the account has been deactivated because it was dormant for so long.

My question therefore is how do I get rid of that account and set the phone up with a new gmail account? Will she lose all of her apps/contacts/pictures/music/etc in the process?

Thanks in advance for any help.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones