• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC Challenged

hyw_02

Lurker
Dec 31, 2009
switching from palm to google android; palm treo 650 to sprint htc hero. seems simple enough but i can't seem to grasp getting yahoo or facebook to work. i was successful getting my msn mail.

h/w challenged for now and still deciding whether to keep htc or go palm pre:rolleyes:

I have a Palm Desktop application on my computer and would sync my palm to desktop and visaversa. All my contact info.; phone #'s, addresses, birthday's, appointments, alarss, etc. I have over 600 phone #'s that I need to move to the HTC. Also, is there a desktop application that will do the same with the HTC??? So when the Sprint (helpless desk) attempts to help me and has me push buttons and erases all my data, I don't have to start ALL over again.

Upvote 0
I have a Palm Desktop application on my computer and would sync my palm to desktop and visaversa. All my contact info.; phone #'s, addresses, birthday's, appointments, alarss, etc. I have over 600 phone #'s that I need to move to the HTC. Also, is there a desktop application that will do the same with the HTC??? So when the Sprint (helpless desk) attempts to help me and has me push buttons and erases all my data, I don't have to start ALL over again.

Well, you bought a Google phone, and Google is how you do everything. Start by putting all of your phone numbers, addresses, and birthdays into your Google Contacts. Then, put all your appointments into Google Calenders.

Once all that is there, your contacts and calenders will always be synced and up to date. If you change something on the phone, it nearly instantly changes on the web and vice versa.

Google syncing works like a charm on this phone, and it's always backed up automatically to the web.

Upvote 0
To get your contacts into Google, export them into a CSV (comma separated) format from your treo. You can then import them into Gmail Contacts

For the calendar, does the treo allow sync'ing via the iCalendar format? If so, you can sync your old calendar with your google Calendar. See the Calendar Sharing & Syncing Help sections in Google Help
Share your calendar - Google Calendar Help
Access options - Google Calendar Help

Once you've got all your data into your Google account, it should then sync with the phone.

Your Google account (Gmail, Calendar, Contacts, Voice, etc) is the key to easy data management with Android devices. There is no need for a specialized app installed on a computer to sync data like Palm requires.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones