• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC Confirms Grounding Issue Fix

This has been posted about 3 times already. While its great that HTC is not only working on a ota update as well as making changes to fix the issues, I can only wonder if we will be allowed to swap our early evos for these evos that will becoming after this manufacturing fix. Especially if we already have one with a screen issue

didn't see it in a quick search, sorry about that.

Upvote 0
This has been posted about 3 times already. While its great that HTC is not only working on a ota update as well as making changes to fix the issues, I can only wonder if we will be allowed to swap our early evos for these evos that will becoming after this manufacturing fix. Especially if we already have one with a screen issue

Your best bet is to take it back now and just wait until 2nd week of July and then buy it again. My guess is doing this you'll lose your number unless you pick up a prepaid phone to bridge the gap.

Upvote 0

I guarantee you will not be able to swap it out. I learned my lesson with the pre launch that's why I'm still waiting to get the evo. I'll admit It's been painful to wait.

Upvote 0
yikes.. i hope this update comes soon (within 30 days) to see if it really is just a software issues. For me, there's just been too many 'little' things of bother such as the loose battery cover, light leakage and the grounding fix... and I have all of those problems on my current evo.

It's quite unfortunate that rather than being excited about the features about my phone, I'm spending more of my time worrying and researching the problems I currently have.

sorry for complaining on my first post, but this is not exactly how I've imagined my first couple of weeks with this phone

Upvote 0
Well is it a grounding issue or a screen sensitivity issue? I have zero issue but for sh$ts and giggles I gotta say they can't be the same. If it is a grounding issue how could an update fix it? Wouldn't that be a hardware issue? Grounding, in my head, deals with wiring.
Yeah I'd say your reasoning is slightly off, but the conclusion is spot on. I worry about what a "software" fix will do when this appears to be a hardware problem. Software problems should affect all phones equally (e.g., the SD card issue that there was a recent patch for), but it is evident that some phones experience this problem and others don't.

I, and many others experience the "loss of sensitivity" in the top half of the screen only (when on a soft non-conducting surface), and if HTC's solution is to jack up the sensitivity across the entire screen, then I'm worried how the oversensitivity in the bottom half of the screen will affect things.

Upvote 0
Yeah I'd say your reasoning is slightly off, but the conclusion is spot on. I worry about what a "software" fix will do when this appears to be a hardware problem. Software problems should affect all phones equally (e.g., the SD card issue that there was a recent patch for), but it is evident that some phones experience this problem and others don't.

I, and many others experience the "loss of sensitivity" in the top half of the screen only (when on a soft non-conducting surface), and if HTC's solution is to jack up the sensitivity across the entire screen, then I'm worried how the oversensitivity in the bottom half of the screen will affect things.

OMG I'm having this issue with my new EVO 003 I just got yesterday. It's my second one and as much as I like the EVO I'm done until a fix comes out. I'm going to get a prepaid phone to keep my number.

Upvote 0
It really bugs you so much that you would go to a pre paid phone?

i mean it may be excessive, but why let HTC slide?

the cost of this phone is not $200, but rather $2000 when you add in the contract. its a contract+commitment.

i don't expect a flawless phone, but when some basic things are off, it really affects your confidence in HTC's quality.

Upvote 0
i mean it may be excessive, but why let HTC slide?

the cost of this phone is not $200, but rather $2000 when you add in the contract. its a contract+commitment.

i don't expect a flawless phone, but when some basic things are off, it really affects your confidence in HTC's quality.

Manufacturing defects/software flaws happen with every product. HTC is releasing a fix. I wouldn't exactly say we are letting HTC "slide."

I do understand your frustration though. Good luck to ya.

Upvote 0
Manufacturing defects/software flaws happen with every product. HTC is releasing a fix. I wouldn't exactly say we are letting HTC "slide."

I do understand your frustration though. Good luck to ya.

i'm actually not that frustrated, as i have a unit that doesn't bleed any light AT ALL and the grounding issue is non existent given the way I use the phone.

but in general i try to support the customer over the corporation, as we vote with our dollars.

fwiw, i was an iPhone 3GS owner and have jumped shipped to Android. The evo is my first android phone, and I'm new to HTC as well. I would probably get an HTC phone again, but should their releases be this plagued I don't think I'd be a return customer.

Upvote 0
It really bugs you so much that you would go to a pre paid phone?

Well I have my 3rd EVO and it has the same issue. I had a long talk with the manager and I've got a week to make up my mind after that I still have 15 more days to exchange it out no questions (Reward Zone Silver member).

We'll see if the fix makes me happy if not back she goes for good. Oh and they can't switch a normal number to a prepaid number, but they can switch a prepaid number to a contract number. At least that's what I was told.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones