• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC Confirms to me Slow Charging on Froyo was designed on Purpose

captainm27

Jun 8, 2010
:( Looks like we're all stuck with slow charging...... :-( Except those who Root! I might just get into it. On a side note, I do have to say, I do agree that the battery got pretty hot quickly.... But that's what A/C Vents are for:p

HTCCharge.jpg
MISC

This is pretty typical after experiencing the first Motorola Droid. They'll just continue to make it worse. This Froyo causes some serious lag in everything. So much for the super fast snap dragon processor. Maybe I'll just go back to the simple phones where they work right, and they don't screw them up...

Upvote 0
Its reminding me of MAG for PS3.
THEY'RE NERFING THIS PHONE!!!

Fortunately, the 2.2 update has done nothing but positive things for me, just like MAG updates (until they nerfed it beyond repair).

The reason I mention this, other than rubbing it in, is because it kills/ruins the product. Be careful what you wish for.

Upvote 0
U
So does that mean we can not charge our phone while using our navigation???

No. Normally you should still be able to run multiple things without hitting this limit and discharging your battery. I was able to run 3g internet, navigation actually pulled up and navigating ( screen brightness set to about 10 percent though), and pdanet running ( with my computer pulling pandora streams and browsing these forums) and did not discharge my battery at all. Just make sure you dont have an actual serious hog running, like google goggles or brain genius deluxe.

Its good to have this confirmed though, and people will need to be aware of it. If you have a hog on your syatem, it is going to be much more obvious now.

Reactions: jj3699
Upvote 0
I don't know what the heck I am doing wrong to get such crappy battery life. I charge overnight, have minimal email use, surf the web for a total of about 30 minutes, and I only get about 5 hours before I am in the orange bar. I am not running any apps that would hog the juice, set updates on various programs to less frequent, etc.

Upvote 0
Does this apply when the phone is off? I was charging my phone this morning, after 40 minutes it went from 11% to 39%. I was like...wtf? So i turned my phone off, and when I turned it on 10 minutes later it was at 63%. But maybe that wasn't real because it discharged mighty quickly to 30% in the next 2 hours, with 1 hour awake time.

Upvote 0
I've noticed the slow charging while the phone is on, but if I turn it off it seems to charge relatively fast

As the person above noted, this appears to be artificial. I've got a few theories on what exactly could cause it to do this, but the net result is: ignore it. Just let it charge for a couple hours like normal. You might have to unplug and plug back in part way though if the artificial numbers actually turn the charge off thinking the battery is full when it is not..not sure here though just yet.

Upvote 0
On 2.1 my battery never got hot when charging while on overnight while I wasn't using it, but now on 2.2 it gets really hot and charges much slower. When I take it off the charger in the morning it is extremely hot. If they changed to a slower charge to keep the battery from getting hot they didn't do a very good job.

Upvote 0
So does that mean we can not charge our phone while using our navigation???

With screen on auto-brightness, my 2.2 Droid Incredible(Verizon OTA 2.2), i can use GPS navigation just fine while charging. I just took a trip this morning, plugged in with the battery on yellow and when i unhooked at my destination(1.5 hrs away) the battery was green. So its definately charging mine.

I am using the official HTC / Verizon extended 2150 mah battery and a 1amp Verizon Micro-usb charger.

Perhaps 500 milliamp chargers aren't sufficient?

Upvote 0
On 2.1 my battery never got hot when charging while on overnight while I wasn't using it, but now on 2.2 it gets really hot and charges much slower. When I take it off the charger in the morning it is extremely hot. If they changed to a slower charge to keep the battery from getting hot they didn't do a very good job.

The fix doesn't account for user-generated issues. I'm willing to bet you had something running your CPU hard, putting out a lot of heat as well as draining power from the battery while it was charging. Net result: Heat, lots of it.

The fix does indeed prevent batteries from getting hot under normal conditions, but can not do anything about abnormal. I managed to get mine hot while running pandora, PDAnet, Navigation and talking on the phone during a charge ( Which BTW you should not do, it hurts the battery). I asked the person to hang on a sec, killed Pandora and Navigation...and the temperature began going down. VOILA.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones