1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support HTC Desire 2.2 Exchange Fails over 3g Works on Wi-Fi

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by dougger22, Feb 22, 2011.

1. dougger22

dougger22 Lurker
    None

Feb 22, 2011
    Hello all. I am new to the thread and I am at wits end trying to figure this out. I have talked to Novell about the Mobility Server we have, HTC and US Cellular.

Here is the story:
    I had my HTC Desire setup and running exchange on our Mobility Server for a month or so with no problems until I did the Froyo 2.2 update on Feb 11th. Being the IT person that supports all the phones in the department I wanted to do the updated to test for issues. Well I found one. I am not able to sync my phone with the Novell Activesync Mobility server that I was able to sync to before I did the update. After working with server admins checking every thing and making sure nothing on there end changed it still failed. Username, password, server address, no domain and SSL checked it still failed. Monday morning before we called Novell, I just happen to try this over our Wi-Fi network and it immediately synced emails, contacts and calander. I could send email and receive emails. Now I turn off Wi-Fi and try to send an email and it immediately fails with invalid username/password. Turn on Wi-Fi and it is fine. We tested another account and it had the same exact outcome. I have tried this at my home on my Wi-Fi network and it will sync immediately. Same with from a friends house. But 3g still fails in Both locations.

Novell call:
    They had the same result with the test account we gave them. We tried to connect to their test server over 3G and it failed too. Wi-Fi was fine. They setup WireShark Protocol Analyzer and found that over wi-fi you could see the phone connect to the server, get the Certificate and then sync. Over 3G you saw the phone connect to the server, get the Certificate and then there was a 22 second delay before it would respond and by that time the server timed out and the authentication faild on the phone. They watched this happen 3 or 4 times on my phone. They had me do a factory reset on the phone, same result. They were able to duplicate the issue on a phone that they had running Froyo 2.2. Until today I have not heard back from them and in an email they stated they are still looking into it.

HTC call:
    Pretty much the same result and they were able to duplicate the same result. They had me take another Desire without the Update to 2.2 and try it and it synced immediately over 3G and wi-fi. Okay now they are lost. They had me do another factory reset on my phone and it still failed. Now they wanted me to update the other phone I had to 2.2 and I did. Now it fails over 3g and works on wi-fi. Now that was all that they could do at this time. They are going to look into it. They wanted me to download Touchdown and use it. Already did that and it failed. I have also downloaded 2 other email clients and they fail too.

US Cellular:
    They were not much help, they filed over wi-fi and 3G. They were located in Canada, not sure if that mattered but it may have. But the local Store tech was able to duplicate the issue and was not sure what it could be. I felt like I knew more about it and how to troubleshoot it more than they did.

Now I have tried downloading the certificate and installing on my phone and that did not work either. I got another new Desire today that came preloaded with Froyo 2.2 and it would not work either.

If some one out there has any idea of what I can do next it would be GREAT!!! We are suppose to go live with the Mobility Server within the next week or 2 and this is going to be a Major problem. Yes we can do IMAP but there are problems there, no contacts or calendar being synced.

I would be willing to try any ideas or even talk to you about what else to try or test. I really need a fix for this as soon as possible so if you have any idea's please email me or reply to the post and I will update as needed.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Doug

Advertisement

Tags: