• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HTC Desire 3g problem

Same problem with Orange in the UK. It's been driving me bonkers, so I'm pleased it's not just me (this thread has had over 20,000 views). It seems to always happen when switching from wifi to 3G and is solved by turning the phone off, removing the battery and rebooting.

Following the various advice on this thread, I have taken the following steps and will report back:
Enabled data roaming
Enabled wifi sleep after 15mins
Set mobile network to WCDMA only

If it works I'll enable them one-by-one to see what is responsible and will report back.

Upvote 0
Same problem with Orange in the UK. It's been driving me bonkers, so I'm pleased it's not just me (this thread has had over 20,000 views). It seems to always happen when switching from wifi to 3G and is solved by turning the phone off, removing the battery and rebooting.

Following the various advice on this thread, I have taken the following steps and will report back:
Enabled data roaming
Enabled wifi sleep after 15mins
Set mobile network to WCDMA only

If it works I'll enable them one-by-one to see what is responsible and will report back.

Setting the mobile network to WCDMA only solved the problem for me. Neither the data roaming or wifi sleep settings made any difference.

What are the implications of doing that? Does it mean that I will be unable to pick up a signal if I am outside a 3G area (I haven't been yet)? Is there another fix?

d_c

Upvote 0
That sorted it totally???

Sometimes it may be the sim failure that cause the problem, but necessarily fix the problem.

I have experienced this before on iPhone and now I having the same issue on desire.
Not sure what is wrong, but the only thing that I may associate is I switch on and off 3g all the times to save the battery life.

Not sure if it may be the problem?

Upvote 0
Until recently my phone only ever displayed a H or G in the notification for the mobile network connection, but since visiting London just over a week ago I saw 3G in the note tray for the first time ever and now I get 3G in my local town, in addition to H and G.

Exactly the same for me. It wasn't until I recently took a trip around the M25 that I noticed 3G pop up on the phone for the first time ever, months after I had bought it. I felt strangely reassured. But I still don't get 3G in my home town - just H or G.

Upvote 0
I completely lost my 3G connectivity a few weeks ago (I only had wireless for data, and nothing else) - I'm on Vodafone, and Vannorthcote's suggestion has fixed my problem (which I think started when I installed a widget to enable/disable wi-fi - so that's now uninstalled too!) - many thanks Vannorthcote - I really do appreciated your help & clear instructions.

this worked for me on vodafone

1.Press the MENU key
2.Touch Settings
3.Touch Wireless & networks
4.Touch Mobile networks
5.Touch Access Point Names
6.Press the MENU key
7.Touch New APN
8.Touch Name
9.Enter Vodafone Internet, touch OK
10.Touch APN
11. Enter:
For Pay monthly customers: internet
For Pay as you go customers: pp.vodafone.co.uk
12.Touch OK
13.Touch Username
14. Enter web, touch OK
15.Touch Password
16. Enter web, touch OK
17. Press the MENU key
18.Touch Save
19. Touch the circle to the right of the Vodafone Internet profile name you have just created
20. Press the Home key to return to the home screen
21. Touch the MENU key
22.Touch All programs
23.Touch Internet
24. Press

Upvote 0
I've read and re-read this thread and I have very similar but no exact symptoms, anyhow worth airing them? Set to WCDMA preferred my signal will go through G to E but when it hits 3G both phone signal and data signal cut out. Phone signal returns with limited strength cannot access any data (keeps re-trying and failing).

My workaround is to got to GSM only, I get a strong phone signal and G and E will give me slow data access.

I am the UK, Sheffield and when recently in Leeds got a H signal, like a different phone, very fast good signal, get back home all crashes. Similar experience when I went to Hull too.

On 3, was OK when I got phone, tried explaining to their phone people and encountered language barriers and them trying to tell me totake sim out, take battery out, wipe it clean etc. which I gave done repeatedly to no avail. Airplane trick doesn't work either. Always have it on wifi at home will try 15 min trick.

Though I'd share, any ideas welcome!

Upvote 0
Hey I work in a phone store in Australia and I had a customer come in with the exact same problem, 3G internet dropping out all the time even though she was in the middle of the city. She had been to the store five times so far trying to resolve the issue, we sent it away once for repair but it was sent back stating that it had no problems.

I rang up tech support and did a series of trouble shooting and educated her on clearing cookies and resetting the phone and so forth. By the sounds of it its going to be an ongoing issue though now I've read all these comments :(. Is it just the Desire with this issue or dose it happen with a lot of Android phones? I don't want to be promoting phones with dodgy internet to my customers :S.

Upvote 0
Recently this problem has started occurring with me and my HTC Desire. With wi-fi everything works fine. Without wi-fi, Facebook and Gmail and other stuff seem to work fine over the mobile network (Telenor in Sweden) but web-browsing does not work. Whatever browser (Skyfire, Dolphin HD, HTC Sense native browser) I get the message that the server did not respond.

And this issue seems to have been increasing over a long time. First it was only in special places that the mobile network did not work, but now it seems to be equally bad even in the middle of town.

Android 2.2.

Upvote 0
Well, 3G networks are generally speaking rather notorious for poor indoor coverage. Also, if the network is full of active users it'll affect to how well your connection works..if it works. There's a couple of tricks that you can try to get a long with those problems:

1. Get the latest updates - usually connections are maintained better with updates
2. Reboot your phone - inconvient as hell but at least it forces the phone to reconnect to the network and probably you get some service after a fresh start
3. Use tools available at Android Market. There's at least a couple of those that will close all connections and reconnect them after that. Personally, I've liked this one-click-operation widget https://market.android.com/details?id=eu.versine.connectionfixer

Hope these tricks will help!

Upvote 0
====================================================================================================================================================================================

ive had my HTC DESIRE S on O2 for about 4 months now and yesterday the 3g started playing up.
i noticed that the WiFi took about 5 seconds to turn on but the 3g took no time at all, however no icon and no connection with 3g, after never giving up to solving a technical problem in my life i gave this a try. after 3 hours of non stop trying i found this.

1.Turn Wifi OFF.
2.GOTO Home Screen.
3.Tap SETTINGS.
4.Tap WIRELESS & NETWORKS.
5.Tap MOBILE NETWORKS.
6.Tap Access Point Names.
7.if it lists 2 options pick the obvious one(pay monthly or PayG)if not goto step 8
8.if nothing appears check that only 3g is on and if still not press menu and new APN.
9. you will have to look online or call your service provider on your APN settings .

Upvote 0
Hi,

I am on Three UK network and i have been experiencing a really weird problem.
I re-formatted my phone cos u know Desire is known to have very low internal memory so all the 3G settings of my desire got erased but after that i did put all the settings back and for some reason it wasnt working at all !
I did everything possible like formatting again and hard booting but none of them have seem to work.

Any ideas what else can be done to solve this issue ?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones