• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help htc desire 516 bootloop

Vouger

Lurker
Jun 9, 2016
Hello androidforums,

Im having this problem with my htc desire 516.
When I try to boot the device it keeps giving the htc logo and i have the idea that it is just stuck.
I tried factory reset and wipe cache partition in the android system recovery.
It i'snt possible to get to the bootloader, when I'm pressing the volume down + power key.
It gives a little vibration, screen goes black, and does the same thing over and over again when I'm holding those buttons.

Maybe someone with greater experience could help me out ;)

I would probably suggest to flash the latest firmware for your device.
Its saying after a while on booting, unfortunately, System UI has stopped. I cant press anything. Could you help me with some info for flashing the device? Like the downloads and software to use. I flashed my old samsung one time, but I dont think it works on htc devices :p anyway many thanks for replying.

Upvote 0
HTC use something called an RUU (ROM Upgrade Utility) to re install the entire OS on your device. Unfortunately, you need to be able to get in to the bootloader to do that. Is it definitely not booting in to the bootloader?

What happened for the device to get in to this state?

I figured it out that I can boot if I reboot from recovery mode. Wierd. Not the best way but it works. It's my sisters phone. She panicked when it happend and I'm trying to fix it. You can see she damaged it (dropped or something like that) so maybe the drive is dammaged. It takes really long to boot, unless I reboot with the system recovery. Isn't it possible to execute a update from sd card? And maybe where can I find it? Or should I just give her the advice on buying a new device (and a case)?

Upvote 0
If there are signs of physical damage, any attempt to reflash may not work.

How can you get to recovery and not the bootloader though? The recovery is accessed via the bootloader.

I dont think I explained it good, my apologies. The menu I can reach is the menu you'll get when pressing the "up button + power button" The other menu "Down button + power button" is the one I cant reach. It get the HTC logo and after a few seconds it gets black and gets the HTC logo again.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones