• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC Desire and Swype?

Hi all I am just wondering before I purchase this phone, is that when Swype is done Beta Testing, Will it be available for this phone?

I am also wondering Should I wait for the Samsung Galaxy S on Us Cellular (i live in Wisconin, USA) or go ahead and get this phone. Thanks

Larry

Hi Larry and welcome.

1. I can't say for certain but I'd imagine that Swype would be released as an Android app available to most handsets, unless they decide to make it a carrier/manufacturer specific app?

2. I have the Desire and it's a great phone, however the Samsung has a slightly larger screen and more internal memory. There are lag issues with the Galaxy but they should be addressed with an update. If I were looking to buy now, I'd probably choose the Samsung.

Reactions: ljcblink182
Upvote 0
Hi Larry and welcome.

1. I can't say for certain but I'd imagine that Swype would be released as an Android app available to most handsets, unless they decide to make it a carrier/manufacturer specific app?

2. I have the Desire and it's a great phone, however the Samsung has a slightly larger screen and more internal memory. There are lag issues with the Galaxy but they should be addressed with an update. If I were looking to buy now, I'd probably choose the Samsung.

Although Samsung hasn't got a good reputation regarding updates :)

I'd go for the Desire.
It's a brilliant phone! Internal memory IS an issue still after the app2sd update with froyo but if you manage your apps you'd notice it rarely.

Upvote 0
Internal memory IS an issue still after the app2sd update with froyo but if you manage your apps you'd notice it rarely.

I don't have a Desire yet but i'll be getting one soon...so Im not completely familiar with how everything works yet, but i've been doing as much research as I can.......with that said, I have a question about what you just mentioned....How come you say that internal memory is still an issue if you use app2sd? isn't app2sd supposed to put all your apps onto your sd card meaning that the internal memory limit doesnt become a factor anymore?

Upvote 0
I wouldn't go for Samsung Galaxy S bcos the camera doesn't have flash which is kinda deal breaker. Not that great with updates.

Internal Memory is 16GB but what the hell you can get a decent 8/16GB SD card below $50.

Galaxy does have a nice screen SAMOLED. Desire comes with SLCD(the newer ones) which is also quiet good.

Galaxy has a 4" and Desire has 3.7" and quiet honest Galaxy felt really big and I didn't like that. Desire just feels and fits perfect.

For me the major deal breaker was Camera not having Flash.

Also you'll miss HTC SENSE UI which is really great.

Summing Up

Galaxy: SMOLED 4" screen, 16GB internal, 5MP Camera with no flash
Desire: SLCD 3.7" screen, 512MB (can be upgraded to 32GB), 5MP Camera with Flash.

Upvote 0
Is app2sd an app or is it a setting in the phone???

Thanks

Larry

Apps2sd is part of the Android 2.2 Operating system. It allows some applications (support needs to be coded in by the application developer) to be moved to the SD card.

There is also Apps2sd+, which is available on most custom ROMs but you need to be rooted to install a custom ROM. Apps2sd+ is much better. all apps are automatically installed on the SD card

Upvote 0
Is app2sd an app or is it a setting in the phone???

Thanks

Larry

Its a setting that has not been built into Android until the Froyo update. Its not true Apps2SD like when you root as there is still a tiny bit of the app left on the phone memory but it means that you can transfer most of it over to the SD card now.

A good way of doing it is getting one of the many apps from the market that scan your apps and tell you which ones can be moved (not all devs have enabled it on their apps so far) I use SDmove and find it really good :)

Upvote 0
I did go out and get the Desire Yesterday. and i am wondering if ther is away to remove a program from the phone (not an app from the market)
Can I do it from the Phone or do i need to connect it to my computer?

Thanks

If it's a stock app that came preinstalled on the phone, you cannot uninstall it without rooting your phone.

Upvote 0
I don't have a Desire yet but i'll be getting one soon...so Im not completely familiar with how everything works yet, but i've been doing as much research as I can.......with that said, I have a question about what you just mentioned....How come you say that internal memory is still an issue if you use app2sd? isn't app2sd supposed to put all your apps onto your sd card meaning that the internal memory limit doesnt become a factor anymore?

Well, i've you install a couple of games some will go to your SD Card leaving 500kb or something on your internal memory. Other will also go to your SD Card but leave 9MB on your internal memory (Like Doodle Bowling, Battle Bears Beta etc.)

If you also download a couple of app you'll need to keep them on your internal memory if they use widgets or if they require to stay in the background like mail applications etc. Those HAVE to be on internal memory.

I think you can imagine what I mean?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones