• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC Desire C Bricked on Software Update

BrkHll

Lurker
Dec 25, 2013
Hi all.

I was offered a system update on my HTC Desire C and I accepted it. While it was downloading/ installing I was moving in and out of cell coverage. It got stuck on the "HTC Quietly Brilliant" screen for 2 hours.

I turned it off and it won't get past that point now. It will just get to that screen and stay there for hours. I tried hard factory reset. No help.

I don't know how to fix it. Can anyone help?

HBOOT says:
*** LOCKED ***
GOLFU PVT SHIP S-ON RL
HBOOT-1.31.0000
RADIO-1.19.98.02
eMMC-boot
Jul 12 2013, 15:44:30
I'm not experienced with this kind of thing so all help really appreciated.

I would call my provider see if they can help. If a factory reset wont work then the /system partition is probably corrupt. Not sure if you can root it under the condition it is in and try to flash a different ROM.

Start Here
HTC Desire C All Things Root

I will move this thread over to the HTC Desire C Forums. Hopefully someone over there can offer a lot more help than I can.

Upvote 0
BrkHll,
Do you remember which network this phone was originally running on when you bought it? And if possible, what Country it came from?

Thanks for your response iowabowtech.

Ya, as far as I know it was originally locked to the O2 network in the Republic of Ireland. When it was last working it was unlocked and I was using it on the 48 Months network in the same country.

Upvote 0
Sorry, not been on here over Christmas. Unfortunately I know the original Desire better than the C (my wife has a C, but she doesn't let me fiddle with it ;)).

Bill, did you try running any of the RUUs on the page that IBT linked? To run them if you can't boot the phone into android, select "fastboot" from the hboot menu, connect to a PC via USB, then run the RUU .exe on the PC. If it fails, note down the error message and code, as that may help us identify the problem.

One problem might be that the phone was originally O2 Eire. RUUs check the original region and network branding, and won't run if these don't match. There's no O2 Eire RUU in that archive, nor have I found one, so my best guess would be to try the 2.00 HTC_Europe one and see whether that will run. If it fails with a "cid" or "customer id" error then that means it needs the original branding.

As for warranties, the Desire C is less than 2 years old, and 48 month warranties are standard throughout the EU for phones, so it should still be covered. Lack of original paperwork may be a problem, but there's no harm in contacting HTC and seeing whether they will accept it anyway.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones