1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support HTC Desire can not enter debug mode HELP :(

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Julez123444, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Julez123444

Julez123444 Lurker
    None

Jul 9, 2011
    Signed up for the forum just for this issue, so i hope i can get this fixed. :p

HTC sync has been working.. okay (every now and then I need to force close the application to get it working), but today I connected my Desire HD as per usual and nothing. It charges, but regardless of what I try and how much I beg, it will NOT enter debug mode (i.e no symbol in the top left corner when connected) I have restarted my phone, computer, reinstalled htc sync and the driver, tried every setting combination possible (settings > Connect to PC with ask me ON and OFF with HTC sync and disk drive as the default), i've taken the battery, sim and sd card out for 10 minutes then turned it on for 30, connected it and... nothing. Therefore i think there must be something wrong with my phone? PLEASE HELP!! I have no idea what's happened, I haven't installed any apps recently, it seems to have just happened well... over night? i just don't understand? For such an advanced and high end smart phone, not being able to sync is embarrassing. I've also had trouble with sending mms messages in the past.

NOTE: because i can not enter debug mode, the disk drive setting also does not work.

Recap: HTC sync has stopped working, my phone can not enter debug mode. WHAT DO I DO??? PLEASE HELP

Advertisement

2. CdTDroiD

CdTDroiD Android Enthusiast
    None

Are you stock or rooted custom rom

3. Julez123444

Julez123444 Lurker
    None

Jul 9, 2011
    Stock. Haven't touched any internal files or modified the phone.

I have called HTC Support line and after a 20 minute session of changing settings and factory resets, have determined that I should send it to the United Kingdom for repair under the Global Warranty Service (free repair (I have to pay for shipping)). I have emailed the United Kingdom and am waiting for further instructions.

Cause of the problem? Possibly a power spike that caused a short circuit in the USB port somewhere. For now I will use a micro USB port to transfer data (switch off phone and remove SD card). For anyone in this situation, you can also email photos off your phone or bluetooth to your PC. As for larger files, demount the SD card and transfer it from there.

I will keep you updated of my progress and hope this doesn't happen to anyone else.. its quite bothering and time consuming.

4. john_g

john_g Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 6, 2010
    London, UK
    Bad luck if you've got a hardware fault, but a lot of people have experienced problems with HTC Sync. The advice generally given is to try MyPhoneExplorer, which you can get for free from the Market. I've used it for years with different phones and rate it very highly.

Julez123444 likes this.
  5. stephenD

stephenD Lurker
    None

Jul 22, 2011
    UK
    Have you tried a different cable? I have had cable trouble with my HTC, first it wouldn't charge - new cable sorted that out. Now my current cable seems to have gone as I can't get the debugging to work. When I plug in the cable to usb it charges but doesn't recognise that it's connected to USB.

Then tried my friend's cable and it works! Debugging and all! Back to ebay for another usb cable...

6. JSLEnterprises

JSLEnterprises Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 13, 2011
    IT
    Hamilton
    Ok so lets recap

-you plug in the usb and it charges

does the menu that gives you choices of how its to connect come up on the device?

If NO (or yes, but nothing happens):

Go into device manager on your computer (right click "my computer" and select manage, then choose device manager)
    Even with "charge only" selected; under the disk drives tree you should still see the entry of "HTC Android Phone USB Device" even through the SD isnt mounted. There should also be an entry under "portable devices" and under universal serial bus controllers there will be a "usb mass storage device" entry.

If they are not there, try a different cable, or even a different computer.

If nothing shows on another computer with and without the use of another cable, then the phone has a hardware fault.

If it works on another pc (meaning it tries to install the drivers) then on your system, right click on "my computer" and go into properties
    select the advanced tab, or "advanced system properties" on the left side menu (depending on which version of windows you're using)

click open "environment variables" and under system variables click "new"
    the variable name will be "devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices"
    and the variable value will be "1"

click ok, and then ok all the way out of everything.

Right click back on my computer and choose manage to go back to the device manager.

When in the device manager now, in the menu, click "view" and "show hidden devices"

Delete every grayed out entry under all the tree's (but not in network adapters, and non-plug and play drivers)

This can be a lil time consuming depending on how many grayed out entries there are especially under storage volumes.

Once you've done that, reboot, and run ccleaner with every option checked (other than "wipe free space") and then run it.
    Do the same for the registry cleaner portion of it.

Now with HTC not running (if its in the lower right hand corner, right click and exit) connect your phone to the pc, and let it reinstall the drivers.

After it finishes, remove the usb cord from the phone, then reinsert it and choose htc sync, and load up htc sync on your pc.

It should now be connected.

Julez123444 likes this.