1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support HTC Desire crashed now doesn't get any further than the boot screen, recover data?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by batfastad, Sep 26, 2011.

1. batfastad

batfastad Newbie
    None

May 30, 2010
    Hi everyone

Had an HTC Desire (A8181) for about 14 months from O2 in the UK. I debranded it over a year ago (can't remember what with though) and it has been working fine. Rebooting randomly but not that often.

Today though the random reboot happened but it wouldn't boot up past the HTC startup screen. Took the battery out, left it for 30 mins and still doesn't get past that.
    I can get into the boot menu by holding down the volume down button.

So I was going to try "clear storage" but before I do that, is there any way to access the phone memory to recover contacts and messages?
    It seems they're not stored on the SD card by default - I only have my backups on there which are pretty old. I've never seen an option to backup my messages though.

Is there any way to access the Desire's internal phone memory to drag stuff off before I do a "clear storage"?
    Or am I basically screwed without an up to date backup of my data?

I do wish all user data was stored on SD card to prevent situations like this.

Cheers, B

EDIT: the info I get at the boot menu is:
    BRAVO PVT1 SHIP S-ON
    HBOOT-0.93.0001
    MICROP-031d
    TOUCH PANEL-SYNW0101
    RADIO-5.11.05.27
    Aug 10 2010, 17:52:18

Advertisement

2. Fatla

Fatla Newbie
    None

Nov 13, 2011
    I was wondering did u fix ur issue of booting after it's been failed !!

3. batfastad

batfastad Newbie
    None

May 30, 2010
    Hi there

I did manage to get my phone up and running again but it meant losing all my data :(
    I had to re-flash the latest stock rom using the PB99IMG.zip method as I couldn't get the RUU updater method working. Turns out the PB99IMG.zip is much easier anyway.

But since my contract was almost up I decided to return the handset to O2 to get it properly looked at. They initially denied anything was wrong, contacted me for more info, escalated the repair and then replaced the phone's mainboard.

It came back all O2 branded so I immediately did S-OFF using Alpharev and rooted with Unrevoked, installed RA-desire-v2.0.1 recover rom and CyanogenMod 7 and it's been working great ever since.
    The RA-desire recovery is great as it allows me to do proper full backups.
    And CyanogenMod is what Android should be!

It's seriously like owning a new phone and I can get a whole week out of the battery now all the HTC Sense cruft is gone!

Cheers, B

Fatla likes this.
  4. Fatla

Fatla Newbie
    None

Nov 13, 2011
    Hello batfastad.
    Thanks for your support
    .Actually that what I've been advised to do regarding to install PB99IMG.zip over SD card and let the loader does the remaining job.

Yes u are so true about CM , it 's amazing and I surprised that my battery lives longer than ever :).

However, I was missing the Sense contact manager as well as Sense Camera.
    I've tried set of roms like MIUI,Core Droid,Cm7.1,LeeDroid.
    Lee Droid gives me what I need currently .

It doesn't mean that um a super fan of Sense as I've tried Sense 3.0 and it was killing my battery . The battery didn't last long with Core Droid with sense 3.0.
    Do u know I've friend of mine who just bought HTC Sensation XE that has Sense 3.0 and there is the same complain regarding the battery life with Sense 3.0.

Hope that IceCream Sandwitch get released soon .
    Thanks again.

Tags: