• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HTC desire crashes and restarts randomly

Tzast

May 12, 2010
London
Hi everyone,

I'm new to Android and smartphones in general so I was hoping for some advice, tips, etc for the problem I'm having.

Got my HTC desire almost 2 weeks ago and while the first few days it did happen to restart on its own, it only happened once or twice so didn't pay attention thinking it's the odd thing... (in fact i thought it had to do with the flash player and playing videos embedded in web pages).

Last week though, this has been happening more often and on doing different occassions, so can't isolate it. Once, it happened while browsing my contacts, then when browsing web pages, then something else (can't remember). The odd thing the last two days is that the first restart triggered a series of restarts back to back without my intervention, and after 2-3 it came back to normal.

As I said I haven't been able to replicate it fully or isolate the cause, but things i thought might be the reason, don't seem to be. Flash or videos in web pages seem to work, as i went back to some of these pages and now they load fine. May be the fact that when loading these through wifi is quicker and hence no problems. Or when charging it or not, think i've tried both when some of the restarts happened. But then that wouldn't explain other crashes.

I called carphonewarehouse where i got the phone from and since it's less than 28 days they can probably replace it, but i just wanted to make sure it's not a genuine phone/android issue that i obviously miss.

Any tips or advise would be much appreciated.

Thanks

What apps have you got installed?

Have you tried an uninstall of your apps and a factory reset to see if this helps?

Sent from my HTC Legend using Tapatalk

That's probably the last thing to try, i was just trying to avoid it before any hard measures. At the moment have the following apps installed:
Sky news, bbc news, skype on 3, fring... may be one or two more i can't remember but nothing really heavy.

Thanks

Upvote 0
Ok got some more news... Tried uninstalling all my apps so i started one by one... all were ok in a few secs... fine no problems... and then Bang!!!

Got an operating system menu:

BRAVO UNKNOWN SHIP S-ON
BHOOT-0.75.0000
MICROP-031D
TOUCH PANEL-SYNT0101
RADIO-4.05.00.11
Mar 5 2010, 21:12:15

HBOOT

<VOL UP> to previous item
<VOL DOWN> to next item
<POWER> to select item

FASTBOOT
RECOVERY
CLEAR STORAGE
SIMLOCK

I selected recovery and didn't do much, so i had to remove the battery and put it back on.

Will save some photos etc... and will do the master reset.

Upvote 0
You need to get it replaced!

I spent days trying to resolve the issue. Factory reset won't work, leaving the battery out wont work. I tried lots of different suggestions and eventually sent it to HTC .

As I said earlier, they reflashed the ROM and my desire is working perfectly. I don't know if there is sucha thing as a bad flash, but a few of us seem to have received phones with dodgy software.

Nothing wrong with the hardware on mine was found, and it is now completely stable and faster!

Upvote 0
Just had my Desire replaced. Luckily I was 1-day within the 15-day return policy with Pixmania.

Mine would shut off then reboot, just before the main screen loaded it would turn off again and reboot.
It continued cycling like this and the only way to stop it was to remove the battery.
Turning it on again and it did the same thing. Tried hard reset etc. Nothing worked.

HTC would only replace if it was unrepairable.

I still love the Desire though :)

Upvote 0
Unfortunately it's happened again several times on different occasions: browsing google maps, downloading from the Market, etc...

The last thing i've noticed (never had that in the past though) is that when connecting it to the PC through the USB for charging... it triggered a restart. Disconnecting it after restarting it worked fine again, but then trying to charge it through PC/USB caused a restart.

Finally i've managed to charge it without restarts: set it to airplane mode, and it's charging now with no problems.

Fed up with this phone! Tomorrow is its last day. Will take it back for replacement!

Upvote 0
Hi

I have had an HTC Desire for about a month and a half. I have installed some apps, but the work has been working like a dream until yesterday. I now have the random reboots. It boots several times (sometimes getting to the home screen) but mostly not. All i see it the white HTC screen. Eventually it gets back to normal and starts ok. It did the same thing today and i did notice that the unit was quite hot. On both occasions (yesterday and today) i was trying to access the internet, not make a call.

I have noticed that i have been getting several text messages from Anonymous (no subject). It you open it in the top right is a icon for a sim card.

I think this is possibly an issue with an over the air update that has been applied to the phone. They cant all be ok for weeks (ok two for some people) and then only playing up in the last week.... what does everyone think?

I phoned Orange CS who were useless....... they have not heard of any problems of this nature. I dont believe them.

I was going to do a hard reset, but i think now this may not sort the issue..... after reading posts on here!

Anyone got any other ideas? Are you getting those texts? I saw one post about loading loading and lots of things running at once..... maybe this is the issue. Maybe the Advanced Task Killer is the problem??

Cheers.

Matt

Upvote 0
I'm glad I'm not alone with this snag!
I'm seeing what looks like a mini-reboot, every so often, sometimes 1 per minute, sometimes one per hour. The thing is, it's very quick- a flash of the HTC splash screen, then a 'loading' message, and then we're back in business. Whole cycle only takes 6-7 seconds or so.
Is this the same as everyone else?
Hope HTC get it sorted soon.
Charlie

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones