• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HTC desire crashes and restarts randomly

Hi all. I had the same problem with the same response from HTC - "Factory Reset".
Have now done 3rd reset and have removed Facebook Widget from homepages.
No crash for 24 hours until I then ran FB app. Crashed straight away.
Another 24 hour period of no crash then tried FB app again.
No crash so far but am wondering if FB app is causing the crash even if it is just sitting on a homescreen and not actually being used?

Upvote 0
Just had the following from HTC -
"Thank you for contacting HTC. We are looking into resolving this matter for all our customers presently. If you would like the device booked in for a repair at any time from now on, feel free to email us back at anytime, and i shall do this for you. I trust this resolves your enquiry. Please do not hesitate to contact us again, if required. "

Upvote 0
Gonna wade in here. Mine is doing it at well.

The first time it did it was a few months ago, and was whilst I was charging it in the car as well as using Google Navigator, but the phone did get blazingly hot.

Now it just reboots when it gets a little warm - so if I browse the web for longer then say, 10 mins, it crashes. I wondering if a bit of house keeping might stop it from getting so hot - like giving it a little clean or something?

I've sent HTC a support email, but I'm not expecting a magical solution.

Upvote 0
Gonna wade in here. Mine is doing it at well.

The first time it did it was a few months ago, and was whilst I was charging it in the car as well as using Google Navigator, but the phone did get blazingly hot.

Now it just reboots when it gets a little warm - so if I browse the web for longer then say, 10 mins, it crashes. I wondering if a bit of house keeping might stop it from getting so hot - like giving it a little clean or something?

I've sent HTC a support email, but I'm not expecting a magical solution.

Hi, I've been having exactly the same problem. I few months ago I was using CoPilot in my car whilst charging and, like you the phone got very hot and reset itself. Now if I use the phone for anything like web browsing, google maps or games, and got it charging, the phone gets very hot and resets. Sometimes, it's so bad I need to take the battery out then back in to get the Desire to power back up.

I think there might be a problem with the charging as the phone does get too hot. I'm interested in what HTC says to you. I'm using Android 2.2 and I've only noticed this since I upgraded the OS.

Does anyone think a new battery might solve the problem?

Upvote 0
I'm mainly adding a post so that I can keep up with any replies.

Yup, my first incident of it rebooting was using Google Navigator in the car while I had the charger in. It was also a very warm day so I could forgive it that once!

However, recently it's become a nightmare going into a reboot cycle maybe 2-4 times a day. Sometimes the phone is warm, yes, like if I've been texting three friends constantly for some time. This morning, though, I've sent two text messages, fired up TweetDeck and *pop*. Gone. The phone's barely room temperature.

I've found that it usually won't reboot until the SIM is unlocked, so when the screen comes to ask for my passcode I can sit it there for ages... but often it will then reboot as soon as the code's in. I think this may relate to the "remove sim, reboot without it, power down, replace sim, boot up" solution. However, this isn't very convenient when you're trying to use the thing to navigate through Edinburgh at rush hour...

Definitely *not* currently a happy customer :(

Upvote 0
hi people

ive had my desire from release date here in the uk, and its been truly amazing. But today whilist playing a game its rebooted itself, i was slightly worried is to why it did this possible fault please god no.

It turns out my battery was on 5% and i had it on charge which obviously heats it up, the game was also chewing the battery up again heating it up. turns out that my phone will reboots until it cools down, (yeah great or wat), for a

Upvote 0
Reported the fault to HTC via their web page and got a response back asking me to contact them to arrange having the phone sent back for repair. Note that the number they provide to call them on to arrange this is an 0845 one that'll cost you from your mobile. Courtesy of SayNoTo0870.co.uk, the equivalent landline number is 01279 206906 (UK / Europe anyway).

Hopefully this will sort things though I'm not looking forward to being phoneless for a couple of weeks :(

EDIT: Called HTC and, in fairness, staff were quick and helpful. Phone will be collected from my workplace on Monday, postage/forms will be emailed to me to stick on the packaging and I should get it back in 7-10 working days. No quibbles, no "try this and call us back".

Only downside is that if the mainboard is replaced (I was told this isn't likely) then data backed up on the SD card won't restore as it will, to all extents and purposes, be a different phone. Argh.

Reactions: BubbaHotepUK
Upvote 0
Reported the fault to HTC via their web page and got a response back asking me to contact them to arrange having the phone sent back for repair. Note that the number they provide to call them on to arrange this is an 0845 one that'll cost you from your mobile. Courtesy of SayNoTo0870.co.uk, the equivalent landline number is 01279 206906 (UK / Europe anyway).

Hopefully this will sort things though I'm not looking forward to being phoneless for a couple of weeks :(

EDIT: Called HTC and, in fairness, staff were quick and helpful. Phone will be collected from my workplace on Monday, postage/forms will be emailed to me to stick on the packaging and I should get it back in 7-10 working days. No quibbles, no "try this and call us back".

Only downside is that if the mainboard is replaced (I was told this isn't likely) then data backed up on the SD card won't restore as it will, to all extents and purposes, be a different phone. Argh.

I hope you are not expecting it back in 7-10 days!! Mine has been gone well over a fortnight, and they have no idea when it will be back.

Andrew:mad:

Upvote 0
I hope you are not expecting it back in 7-10 days!! Mine has been gone well over a fortnight, and they have no idea when it will be back.

Well, 7-10 working days is a fortnight, so we'll see what happens. At least it's not costing me to ship the thing. In the meantime it's back to the old E71. Glad I kept the car holder/charger for it.

Incidentally, try writing to their upper echelons. If you're paying a premium on your contract for the Desire (I am) and due to a manufacturing fault you're effectively wasting money, I reckon you're entitled to some kind of recompense.

Upvote 0
Well, 7-10 working days is a fortnight, so we'll see what happens. At least it's not costing me to ship the thing. In the meantime it's back to the old E71. Glad I kept the car holder/charger for it.

Incidentally, try writing to their upper echelons. If you're paying a premium on your contract for the Desire (I am) and due to a manufacturing fault you're effectively wasting money, I reckon you're entitled to some kind of recompense.

Update for you: Just go off the phone to HTC, they have no idea what is going on with the phone, no idea on when it will be returned or even what is wrong with it!!

I bought my phone unbranded from CPW so no one to claim off for inconvenience.

Andrew

Upvote 0
Hi all - just to chip in that I am also having this rebooting issue on my Desire. O2 recommended a factory reset, but that hasn't resolved it. They have now advised to wait for Froyo and see if that fixes it - it's due imminently but not specific date apparently.

It will NOT fix it, this is a hardware fault and it needs returning to HTC to repair it, my Desire went wonky AFTER the Froyo update.

Andrew

Upvote 0
Urgh, not good Andrew - sorry to hear that. I'd still consider lodging a complaint or requesting some kind of recompense for inconvenience etc. Failing that, given the number of the things that seem to be failing, you could have grounds for the device being unsuitable for the purpose for which it was sold - although I think that would involve getting a refund from the retailer.

Upvote 0
Getting through the enormous pile of similarly knackered phones that seem to be wending their ways HTC-wards?

Most likely, there are so many sites on the internet of people having hassle with there phones, I got myself a Wildfire to use while my Desire is away, and I have to say I love it, and it has never caused me any hassle whatsoever.

Andrew:cool:

Upvote 0
The phone call yesterday must have done the trick, Friday AM track showed we have received your phone at the repair centre, Friday PM "we are repairing your phone" late Friday PM the following "Your phone is ready for pick-up. Our customer service representatives or express delivery staff will contact you about a delivery schedule to return your HTC phone."

Remarkable, just hope they have fixed it properly!

Andrew:)

Upvote 0
Fingers crossed for you, Andrew! Mind gets collected for return to HTC on Monday. It's getting worse every day. Got 4 reboot cycles yesterday and had one this afternoon after "stressing" the handset by trying to reply to a text message...

Mine was unusable kept rebooting going into loops, I could not use GPS, YouTube surf the web without it crashing and rebooting. It has been a pain without it, but from what I have read people who have had them repaired have had no more problems with them.

Here's hoping !

Andrew

Upvote 0
You need to get it replaced!

I spent days trying to resolve the issue. Factory reset won't work, leaving the battery out wont work. I tried lots of different suggestions and eventually sent it to HTC .

As I said earlier, they reflashed the ROM and my desire is working perfectly. I don't know if there is sucha thing as a bad flash, but a few of us seem to have received phones with dodgy software.

Nothing wrong with the hardware on mine was found, and it is now completely stable and faster!

really? are you still on 2.2?? i think its because of the update that screwed my phone up too....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones