• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HTC desire crashes and restarts randomly

HTC just phoned up, they have put a new motherboard in the phone, and it will be delivered back on Wednesday :D:D

Yeah, when I spoke to the guy on the phone the other day he told me this almost certainly wouldn't be the fix and they very rarely do it... as it means all the data you backed up onto your SD card won't work when you get the phone back.

The software sees it as a "new" phone and the backup will only restore onto the one it was backed up from for security reasons. Which always seemed nuts to me as one reason for backing up is in case the original system goes FUBAR or gets stolen.

Upvote 0
My desire went wonky a few days ago, gave HTC a call (repeatedly) they kept cutting me off. finally have managed to book it in to be picked up on Wednesday, with a estimated wait of 3 weeks, great :mad:

Haven't had my shipping labels emailed yet, I have a feeling the french chap on the end of the phone didn't get my email address correct :( may have to ring them again.

Upvote 0
Haven't had my shipping labels emailed yet, I have a feeling the french chap on the end of the phone didn't get my email address correct :( may have to ring them again.

Definitely worth checking. They got my email wrong (spelled my first name incorrectly), but thankfully I'm used to it so I have an alias set up for this very reason!

UPS contacted me earlier and I saw the van pull up at the front of the building around lunchtime. I'm assuming they were here to collect the package they'd inadvertently canceled.

Upvote 0
Get this, I just phoned up to check, they have all my details correct, but apparently there is a "system problem" so there is a no pickup booked for my phone at the moment, so I have to phone back tomorrow, when it is hopefully fixed, to schedule a pickup again. Safe to say I'm spewing many expletives at the moment. :mad:

Upvote 0
Same issue here. Running froyo. I can reproduce the crash when on 3g, temp of battery 30deg and higher and watching youtube, flash video. Once desire restarted itself when i was browsing android market. I dont think it is temperature related cos i was watching a divix movie using realplayer, was charging battery at the same time and had no problems, two hour video playback without a glitch.

Does anyone have some info from htc support about fixing this with an ota update? I am not very comfortable with sending my desire to service..

Can anyone confirm similar issue on rooted desire?

Upvote 0
Summary of my issues:

I got my Desire from Orange in April and all was well, everything just worked. Then in June the random reboots started and they became particularly annoying when using GPS in the car. From then on if I tried to use GPS the phone would more often than not reboot and using Sat Nav / Google Maps was out of the question as it would get hot and then reboot.

I started to log what I was doing whenever the reboots occured and I pinned it down to:

Using the Desire (media player / internet) when charging via USB
Using GPS at anytime

In the latter case, the time to reboot was accelerated if charging via USB. This seems to make the problem worse as the back / bottom of the handset gets very hot.

On Monday this week I rang Orange and reported the fault. They talked me through the hard reset but within 10 minutes I could re-create the reboots using the above scenarios and called them back. To their credit, they said I could have a replacement as it was less than 6 months old and this duly arrived on Tuesday morning.

I've been using the replacement for a day now and GPS / Sat Nav haven't failed. However, when I use this AND have the phone charging via USB it is still getting very hot. My gut feeling is that if I carried on using it as I had before, i.e.

Using the phone all day with it being charged by USB from my desktop
Using GPS / Sat Nav in the car and charging via USB

That the same problems will occur again. From now on, if I want to use GPS / Sat Nav I won't use the charger and will rely on battery power only. The same goes for using my phone at my desk; I'll continue to use the music player but will only charge the battery when I am NOT using the phone.

I reckon these phones have a design flaw that only appears after they've been heated up and cooled down over a number of cycles and charging the phone AND using applications just makes this worse. If this is the case then I hope that the new motherboards being fitted to your Desire's work better than before. From my point-of-view, I am going to be plugging it into a charger far less than I did before in the hope it delays any problems!

Upvote 0
Elsie, you could be spot on. That mirrors a lot of my findings to some extent, although mine reached the point where I could switch it on in the morning (after not being on charge), send three texts and have it reboot. However, it started the same way yours did.

It's possible that the heat/cool/heat/cool cycle is causing some kind of physical damage or failure on the board. One theory is that the board is rebooting to protect the processor, only it's doing so at a lower temperature than it's supposed to. The replacement boards may contain an upgraded temperature sensor and people who've had replacements seem to have been very happy with the results.

I guess we'll find out in time!

Upvote 0
You're right, we'll have to wait and see; I'm just paranoid that it'll happen again. if it does, I guess mine will have to go for repair when I'd (hopefully) get a new system board that works. Heat has certainly been a factor in my Desire and I won't use the phone whilst it's on charge anymore.

Upvote 0
Hi All,

Thought i'd report back. The only way to figure out what they are doing with your phone is to call, then call again, then call again. Sometimes i got helpful people, sometimes not so helpful!

Anyway - IT IS A MOTHERBOARD PROBLEM. Most likely batch related which is why there is no recall (massive negative publicity for a recall). But they know if this problem - and they probably know the serial numbers. They just won't say they do.

They get your phone in, replace the motherboard, test and ship back.

The delay comes in where they don't have the motherboards in stock to actually replace - your phone then enters a queue.

Got mine back, works fine - and i was able to download all my contacts which i had backed up onto SD card no problem - and the actual back-up too (though i'm not sure if this would work if i'd been runnign 2.1 and then the phone came back with 2.2? - i backed mine up in 2.2).

I can only suggest if you have this problem to send it off for repair. Let them collect it and chase after three days.

Then chase again,
then chase again,
then chase again.

Mine back and repaired in 2.5 weeks.

Chrispie

Reactions: Mosh
Upvote 0
Hi, I found this thread while searching about this problem on google. My phone has been driving me crazy with this issue for ages now :(

Can anyone that's received their desire back 'repaired', confirm if they received their actual phone back or a refurb?

My phone doesn't have a scratch on it and has had a genuine Martin Fields protector fitted since out of the box. I don't want to be getting a more used or cosmetically damaged phone back with a new motherboard + possibly minus my screen protector, which I'd rather not have to remove!

Cheers,

Al

Upvote 0
My desire finally died yesterday when I was trying to do an OTA update, i.e. it now hangs in the white screen with the htc logo, even after doing a factory reset. Emailed then rang HTC explaining about the overheating / resetting / device no longer working problems and they said return it for repair, obvioulsy they are now use to having calls about this problem.

UPS should be collecting it this morning, so I wonder what they will find and how long it will take. Back to using my old but reliable Sony Ericsson K610i.

Oh, and because of the problems I've been having and so have so many other people I will no longer be recommending the Desire. Don't get me wrong, I love the phone and the HTC Sense interface, but it's proving to be too unreliable. It let me down recently when I was using the sat nav in the car to find an address and, as I was getting closer, the Desire decided to reset and I was forced to pull over and remove the battery to allow it to cool down and restart. In the end I resorted to using an old fashioned paper A-Z to find the house :)

Upvote 0
It let me down recently when I was using the sat nav in the car to find an address and, as I was getting closer, the Desire decided to reset and I was forced to pull over and remove the battery to allow it to cool down and restart. In the end I resorted to using an old fashioned paper A-Z to find the house :)

The first time mine went into a reboot cycle using satnav I was driving to a training meeting with one colleague in the car and two others tailing me. We eventually found the place by trial, error and 30-second periods where I could get as far as Google Maps to see the next turning! And we were half an hour late.

Ah for the old days when I had a box of maps on the back seat of the car!

Upvote 0
Just had the same issue with my phone. Because I was out of the 14 day return policy with mobile phones direct I had to send it backto HTC under warranty. They couldn't find a fault and reflashed the ROM which seems to have done the trick.

If you can get it replaced do, because I was without my phone for over a week.

Hi Had the same problem, had the pne for 1 month. & was 1 day out of the 28 day policy. took pne bk to cpw they said I needed to do the update which I did to 2.2 all was fine for a day or so, then kept rebooting everytime surfing the web. This time went bk to cpw let them surf so they could see what was going on same thing happen to them. They sent pne back for repair (cpw). they could not fix it so now has been sent bk to HTC. only prey that when it comes bk it all works. Love my HTC been without it for a week now, Feel like a lost soul.....:thinking:

Upvote 0
Hi Had the same problem, had the pne for 1 month. & was 1 day out of the 28 day policy. took pne bk to cpw they said I needed to do the update which I did to 2.2 all was fine for a day or so, then kept rebooting everytime surfing the web. This time went bk to cpw let them surf so they could see what was going on same thing happen to them. They sent pne back for repair (cpw). they could not fix it so now has been sent bk to HTC. only prey that when it comes bk it all works. Love my HTC been without it for a week now, Feel like a lost soul.....:thinking:

Well my phone has now ended up at HTC as well :(
Hoping they sort it out fast as its now a week and i miss it !!!!

Upvote 0
Just received my Desire back from repair, the motherboard has been replaced in line with other comments on this forum. Problem now is restoring all my data, previous quotes say that this won't work as it's a 'new phone'. Is there any way I can get the data back? when I took the phone to t-mobile they guy in the shop used the mybackup app, this now does not recognise my data. I'n not fussed about the apps as I did'nt have that many but it's my contacts I want....Any help very much appreciated.

Upvote 0
Just received my Desire back from repair, the motherboard has been replaced in line with other comments on this forum. Problem now is restoring all my data.

From what I've read on other fora, this won't work. The built-in backup facility encrypts the data so that it can only be recovered onto the exact same phone. By changing the motherboard I gather you're changing the phone.

However, someone else posted earlier in this thread that they had no such problems. I can't really answer as I'm waiting for mine to come back from HTC!

Upvote 0
I've had the exactly same symptoms as described above, and agree with Elsie's diagnosis - I suspect components are getting cooked or something.

Things reached a head on Friday when I couldn't even get the phone to reboot after removing battery, SIM and SD card! I left the battery out over Friday night & through most of Saturday day, and optimistically put it back together again Saturday evening. Amazingly, so far so good - not one crash since then. Fingers crossed it's righted itself. Wonder if there is something that needs to discharge fully before it's okay?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones