• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help htc Desire facebook sync not working ?

broads desire

Jul 7, 2010
ok so my contacts WERE synced to my facebook and it gave me their number name birthday etc etc etc..

i wanted to update the contact image as i know a few have changed and to do this was told remove the account and then re add it after a short break and it will sync..

well i did that and it has now left me with "facebook friends (0)" which is complete balls... if i use the facebook phonebook folder on the home screen it shows everyone that was on my contacts..

when i hit people and online directory and menu refresh it does nothing.. and sometimes comes back with connection error.. or nothing at all.

i thought it was a problem with phone so i backed everything up and decided factory reset to see if this would fix (plus i needed to free all the crap apps off)

still nothing.

is this a problem with sync today or something ? anyone else having similar problems?

I've got the same problem.

My friend stream stopped working so was recomended to delete the facebook account and then re add it. I've done that and now friend stream works fine however my contacts wont sync up as stated above.

Just says facebook 0 friends yet it will happily so there statuses on friend stream.

Anything i can do to fix this?

Ive tried the whole delete the accounts, then delete the app on facebook etc and that doesnt work either.

Upvote 0
Oh God tell me about it.

Got my phone on Wednesday. Worked effortlessly, everything synced all was good. Then I was trying to get it to update with a new friend I added and suddenly everything seemed to balls up and I got the 'connection error' message and the lovely 'you have no friends' message (!). After fiddling with various 'fixes' (none of which worked) I thought Id factory reset it. Still the same prob. Reset again. Still the same problem. Im so gutted and dont know what to do.

I really love android and the desire overall though. So much better than iphone but with this kind of bug, I do feel very disappointed.

Anyone heard anything else? It must be something external to the phones right given its sudden occurence and the fact a factory reset wont sort things out?

Thanks all,

James

Upvote 0
Oh I meant to add, The weird thing about mine is that friendsteam and the the actual facebook app etc all work perfectly in terms of syncing and always have done. Its just this ability to detect it via 'peoples' and thus linking people has gone really really wrong.

Very strange. My brain hurts thinking about it.

J

Upvote 0
Its interesting because under the facebook group discussing this, several of the users have contacted HTC direct. One got a response that they realise its a problem their end and are currently working on a fix.

This is what I saw..
I had a chat with HTC german and UK hotline concerning the "currently unavailable" issue today. German support had no clue, UK support finally figured out, that it is a problem with the way "Facebook for HTC Sense" connects to facebook. ...Issues with a proxy or something, facebook seems to be working on that.

I figured out that "HTC Sense" on my phone is able to connect to a
different facebook account. So it really seems to be an issue on FBs
side with certain servers. (I guess)

Upvote 0
I had it working perfectly, until I changed my Facebook password. Now it doesn't work, same problems as everyone else is stating, however My contact card was linked fine. The very first contact on my friends list has my facebook picture now, it's really odd that my profile will link and the others dont

Upvote 0
I've got a Desire and have no problems (so far) with facebook syncing

However - I got my wife a Wildfire and the friends stream works - but keeps saying ' You have no friends' - after refreshing we get the 'connection error'
Getting fed up of this now!!
Was going to get my daughter a Wildfire for her birthday (as she's facebook mad) but I'm thinking twice now.
I've sent an email to HTC but I'm not holding my breath.

Upvote 0
Here's a solution from HTC thats working for some (incl. myself)..

We have been working with Facebook to determine a fix for your facebook problems. In the mean time, we have found that some customers have success when editing their work profiles on their Facebook page. If you have added a company and have checked the box next to “I currently work here,” simply add the City / Town of your office. This will allow for HTC Sense to communicate with Facebook without failing.

Reactions: destroy_smart
Upvote 0
Yesterday I reset the device [HTC desire] and after that, this thing is out of control. I've tried to change the city, as most recently suggested, but I haven't noticed any changes. I've also tried to change password, logged out of the (stupidly) two accounts on the phone and then reboot, but still nothing.

I still have friends (0) in the facebook section of the contacts.app. the amount-theory might be true, since i have a few, though. very strange that the contact widget works, right?

I'm from Sweden by the way.

Upvote 0
Yesterday I reset the device [HTC desire] and after that, this thing is out of control. I've tried to change the city, as most recently suggested, but I haven't noticed any changes. I've also tried to change password, logged out of the (stupidly) two accounts on the phone and then reboot, but still nothing.

I still have friends (0) in the facebook section of the contacts.app. the amount-theory might be true, since i have a few, though. very strange that the contact widget works, right?

I'm from Sweden by the way.

Are you changing the location on your phone or on Facebook website?
Its the location in your Facebook web account profile/employer that needs changing not on the phone.

Upvote 0
I've been having the same Issues. Still showing no friends even though I've refreshed it. Very annoying. Can get on facebook fine. Don't want to do a factory reset as I'll lose my messages. Had seven emails from htc none of which have fixed it. They have been prompt gettin bk and seem to be aware of the problem but can't fix it. Any updates on a fix?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones