• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HTC DESIRE false water damage

aaron17

Lurker
Sep 21, 2010
I purchased the HTC DESIRE about a month ago, and I recently have been having problems (strangely just at night) with it shutting itself off and back on repeatedly. It does constantly for up to an hour, and then when I wake up in the morning it's ok again. I was struggling with the issue tonight and I took the back of the phone off to have a look, and I saw that the stickers on the battery and the phone itself are showing water damage. This baffled me because I've always kept the phone in a case and absolutely never exposed it to water, not even steam from the shower. What could have caused this?? I realize that wattery damage voids the warranty and my insurance, so is there anything else I can do?

I saw that the stickers on the battery and the phone itself are showing water damage.
Maybe you should talk to anyone else who could have used your phone. The water sensitive stickers don't change colour due to a steamy shower or a few drops of rain on the screen, so I'd make sure someone didn't mess with your phone. Or check to make sure you didn't get a returned phone that was exposed to water.

Upvote 0
I just wanted to point out my experience with water stickers.

I've had more than one phone show red on the stickers that haven't been exposed to actual water.

I've also read (and seen on Watchdog) plenty about iphones showing false water damage.

The fact seems to be that these can turn red from one drop of water (ever used your phone when it's raining just a little bit ?) and this is borne out by some testing I've done on old phone batteries etc, so sometimes the stickers, it seems, do give a false positive, or at least don't need immersing in water to go red.

Upvote 0
I'm curious...

Where exactly are the water stickers and what colour do they change from/to?

Cheers,

G

They're small white (when not triggered - but red when they are) stickers placed around the phone, usually behind the battey cover, and on the battery itself.

MoistureSticker.gif

Reactions: Gisbourne
Upvote 0
on iphones i think they are laminated to the outside world, so the water damage is supposed to only change them when they get wet from the inside out. not sure if that's the case with these stickers, covering a hole to the inner space of the phone and supposed to change only if their back gets wet?

Upvote 0
Take it back to where you purchased it ASAP mate. Tell them that it is NOT working correctly and demand a replacement. DONT wait for it to get worse or let anymore time pass and PLEASE DONT take no for an answer.

There are threads online about this sort of stuff and you have rights, just make sure you know them BEFORE hand and go in fully prepared just in case they try and fob you off!

Upvote 0
I purchased the HTC DESIRE about a month ago, and I recently have been having problems (strangely just at night) with it shutting itself off and back on repeatedly. It does constantly for up to an hour, and then when I wake up in the morning it's ok again. I was struggling with the issue tonight and I took the back of the phone off to have a look, and I saw that the stickers on the battery and the phone itself are showing water damage. This baffled me because I've always kept the phone in a case and absolutely never exposed it to water, not even steam from the shower. What could have caused this?? I realize that wattery damage voids the warranty and my insurance, so is there anything else I can do?

Hi,

I'd recommend a read of this thread, its very likely that you are experiencing the same issue

http://androidforums.com/desire-sup...992-htc-desire-crashes-restarts-randomly.html

Upvote 0
They're small white (when not triggered - but red when they are) stickers placed around the phone, usually behind the battey cover, and on the battery itself.

Look for the little white sticker under the battery terminals. It should be white...

Cheers guys...

Haven't dropped it down the toilet yet, but on a serious note I was wondering whether sweaty paws could change them. Not had chance to check mine yet...

G

PS Just realised that sweaty hands and toilets could be misconstrued LOL :D!

Upvote 0
Had an htc desire for 14 months asked for a software upgrade progressed, phone locked up. Contacted 3G who agreed to repair it, headed off to the shop dropped it in. Assistant agreed software prob off it goes, a week later repairs claiming water damage. My phone has never been near water and they are refusing to give me another phone so here I am with a 6 month contract to drag myself through. Hey 3G thanks for nothing and HTC please give your so called great phones some resistance to humidity hey

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones