1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

General HTC Desire HD arriving today! - What to do first?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by StevieDog, Feb 21, 2011.

1. StevieDog

StevieDog Lurker

I'm sitting here waiting for the postman to deliver my new HTC Desire HD.

Truth is I'm a complete noob when it comes to HTC/Android, I'm coming from an iPhone background.

Are there any vital things anyone can recomend to do first?

Advertisement

2. El Kroket

El Kroket Well-Known Member

Reading the threads in this forum!!! So you can see that your question is already been asked a few times...

Besides that, welcome to the forum and I hope you'll enjoy your phone!!!

cheers

StevieDog likes this.
  3. bonerp

bonerp Android Expert

go to accounts & sync in settings and turn them all down or off, else the battery will die. You can set up email etc to sync only when the screen is enabled.

The battery takes 2 /3 weeks of charges before it settles down and you get better charge from it.

Turn the screen brightness down to 10-20%. You'll soon get used to it.

Add GreenPower free. This turns off wifi and net connections when the screen is off.

Enjoy.

P

StevieDog likes this.
  4. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!
    VIP Member

Here's what I've advised my mates to install once getting the phone -

Also, check out some of the threads on conditioning the battery.

StevieDog likes this.
  5. StevieDog

StevieDog Lurker

Thanks a lot for the tips.

I'm absolutely loving the phone. It's such a refreshing upgrade from the iPhone 4 which seems so limited compared to the Desire HD.

A few questions if anyone can answer...

• I'm using the standard Desire HD theme/skin (the one with the moving colours). does this take up a lot of battery life?
    • I use Gmail for my emails but have set it up through the 'Mail' app on the home screen rather than the Gmail app. Can I stop it notifying me when I receive a new email and get it to only update once I click on 'Mail'?
    • Same question above but with Friends Stream, I only want it to update when I click on the little refresh button.
    • What have you guys got on your other home screens? So far I've only got the standard, wether, friends stream etc. Is there anything else worth while having?
    • How do I delete history in the web browser provided?
    • Why do I need an anti virus? What ways can my phone get infected? I've never heard of a phone getting a virus before...
    Thanks again

6. Gardium

Gardium Well-Known Member

I'd say nr. 1 is to condition the battery. And read guides on battery usage and saving juice.

Then just figure out on various webpages and threads what apps fit for your needs. Just think about what apps you want, and google it. Usually you can find a lot of fun stuff :D

As for the antivirus, I have not installed it yet. It is only if you install apps from "sketchy" developers you run a major risk. Otherwise it's just sms worms and etc, that really aren't that harmful if you use your phone in a normal way.

Until now in history, it is really rare that phones get infected with viruses, as old school phones (Nokia 3310/3330, etc) used their own OS systems developed by the manufacturer, and each phone had a new and better OS system that was designed differently. However, with iOS, Android, Symbian, etc., there is code and structure that hackers actually can go after, as there actually is a high chance they can affect many that have these systems on the phones. It is like with MacBooks. Until recently, there were so few people that had Macs, that hackers couldn't be bothered to write code for them. Now however, this is about to change, and it won't be long before someone figures out how to crack a virus into Macs. The same with phones. Once there becomes a dominant OS out there (or just an OS that sufficiently many use), the hackers will write code to hack them. And that time is coming, as the smartphones become more and more popular :)

7. saj_2001ind

saj_2001ind Android Expert

hey VLC remote is not a media player for android, it just controls PC or MAC, can u play videos with VLC remote on ur DHD ?

8. AndroidFan007

AndroidFan007 Newbie

Hi StevieDog. I have Iphone4 and planning to but HTC Desire HD. Please let me know your experience as you also have done the same upgrade.

9. El Presidente

VIP Member

I'm positive in the first days of having it, I downloaded an apk from the vlc website that allowed me to play files on my phone. I can't find it now though.

10. WigglesGRN

WigglesGRN Member

Live wallpapers do use more CPU than static ones as they are constantly moving, try them and find out is the best answer

For the mail updating go in to the mail app go Menu>more>settings>send& receive>update schdule and set the peak and off peak to manual (its at the very top of the list)

For Friends stream you need to set them in the sync options via Menu>Settings>accounts & sync> then facebook for htc sense and twitter for htc sense. twitter can be set for manual facebook is once a day also make sure that auto sync is off at the top of the main sync menu and that will stop it pulling the updates unless you hit refresh

I have a very basic few home screens to help with battery, lots of app links but very few widgets open and running

For browsing history go to internet>Menu>more>History>menu>Clear history. you can also use Internet>Menu>more>settings then you scroll down to clear history or cache etc etc

11. choccy

choccy Android Enthusiast

1st thing is charge the bloody phone or non of the above is possible!

2nd - Root the bloody thing

3rd - Enjoy your phone

4th - Ignore Anti Virus stuff mentioned above u don't need at this point.

12. KingDong

KingDong Android Enthusiast

How important is it to have a antivirus program on my DHD?

13. El Presidente

VIP Member

I've a mate that is insistent on having one, hence my inclusion in the post. However, reading up on it, it doesn't actually seem that essential.

My attitude is it doesn't do any harm in downloading one and it doesn't take up too much space on the phone being there.

14. widehead

widehead Android Enthusiast

Well, don't rush into it like a massive twat.

Some people never root (and for good reasons too).

Rooting is utterly pointless if you have no good reason to do it.

IMHO curiosity is not a good reason to root.

And for God's sake DO NOT INSTALL A TASK KILLER - your battery life and phone performance will suffer.

SB13X likes this.
  15. HER0

HER0 Newbie

How much better are custom ROMs like revolution or leedroid then the stock rom, in reality?

16. cevahir34

cevahir34 Lurker

mine is coming tomorrow morning.
    I am so happy :) hope everthing is fine with the phone.

17. mrkashmir

mrkashmir Newbie

Mine just came in the last 24 hours and so far im playing with apps.

Set my gmail up.

Added a msn messenger app from marketplace free.

Got angry bird game on it pretty fun.

The fun goes on.....

nice phone yup.

18. Ronak_005

Ronak_005 Lurker

Guys could u help me..?
    How important is it to have a antivirus program on my DHD?
    n m just take this phone today so wt i have to do 1st...?

19. El Presidente

VIP Member

No probs. Incidentally, don't bother with a Task Killer.

How old is the phone? My battery was rubbish for the first 10-14 days. Now, on moderate - heavy usage, I can get a full day out of it. Double that if I'm at home and not using it a lot.

20. DCTEN

DCTEN Well-Known Member

Yeah send it back! :)