• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC Desire HD Battery Life??

Day 1 8.5 hrs

Day 2 12 hours at least - still had 20% remaining when I charged it.

This is with facebook off - dont use it.
Wifi on for about 5 hrs (connected at home).
3g used regulaly through the day to check emails ebay etc
Weather updates set to update every 8 hrs
Emails checked every hour.
Other updates are by request only. I sit behind a PC all day so waste of resource on phone and dont need to know breaking news as it happens!
Send about 20 texts per day.

I'm pretty happy so far - except the occassional lag discussed elsewhere

Oops I'll add to the battery thread

Upvote 0
My battery is showing a huge improvement. On day one it lasted about 8 hours and I was thinking I would have to return the phone as I need more than 8 hours use. Day 2 and it lasted about 14 hours and today which is day 3 i have 12 hours and still have approx 40% left. Please give it time everyone, I am really pleased now. Best phone I have owned to date. Kicks the arse of my iPhone 3gs.

Upvote 0
well i'm a little surprised.. my android OS doesn't consume THAT much power (around 10%)

however what's consuming a GIANT amount is the display (over 60%!)...

even with it turned down to 30%.... this can't be right... what if someone had it at half power?? do you guys notice the display consumes more power than anything else, or is it just me??

Alex

Upvote 0
For the last 3 days I've been taking it fully charged to work leaving at 7am. I don't really use it at work, just the odd check of email and games. Max 1 hour use. I have GPS on, wifi on, acc on, bluetooth off, display brightness auto.

By 2pm it is usually at 20% and dead by 4pm.

After the 1st day of terrible battery power I removed all my apps, sky news, skype etc. No change.
Day 2 I did the full charge thing where you get it charge to 100%, switch it off (charge), on again (charge). No change.

So tonight I have given up having everything enabled like I did on my Nokia E71 for a year with no issue. I now have installed easyswitch, turned off auto brightness and set it at 25%. Turned off GPS and Wifi.

We will see what tomorrow brings, but so far not impressed. I hope this Nexus 2 phone isn't just a rumour.

I've also had the phone for 10 days now, so I thought the battery would have sorted itself out by now if it was going to.

Upvote 0
Sky news app used to kill the battery on my Desire because it downloads all the news stories to the phone. The BBC news app is a lot less power hungry as long as you goto the settings and uncheck the pre-cache options. Had my DHD a couple of days and so far the battery seems about the same as the Desire but I haven't watched any movies on it yet.

Upvote 0
I have GPS on, wifi on, acc on, bluetooth off, display brightness auto.

GPS and wifi are big battery killers.

If GPS is turned on then every time an app wants to know your location (and plenty use this feature) it will attempt to use GPS which will drain your battery unbelievably fast.

As for wifi, your phone will constantly scan for networks when your not connected.

Upvote 0

If GPS is turned on then every time an app wants to know your location (and plenty use this feature) it will attempt to use GPS which will drain your battery unbelievably fast.

As for wifi, your phone will constantly scan for networks when your not connected.

I find wi-fi not to be a battery killer i have mine on all day and according to the battery indicator app it's only used 2% of the power . I find 3g to be the real killer so i always select 2g unless i'm out and surfing the net .

Upvote 0
I find wi-fi not to be a battery killer i have mine on all day and according to the battery indicator app it's only used 2% of the power . I find 3g to be the real killer so i always select 2g unless i'm out and surfing the net .

I might sound stupid here but you can still go on the net with 2G ye?

So if i wasnt recieving 3G speeds where i was most of the day (ie the 3G logo wasnt at the top of the screen) there isnt much point in having it on as i could still be on the web with 2G?

Are the widgets the easiest way to control whats on and off?

Upvote 0
I might sound stupid here but you can still go on the net with 2G ye?

So if i wasnt recieving 3G speeds where i was most of the day (ie the 3G logo wasnt at the top of the screen) there isnt much point in having it on as i could still be on the web with 2G?

Are the widgets the easiest way to control whats on and off?

Yes you can still surf but it's slower . Download switch pro widget which enables you to switch certain things off at a touch of a button eg bluetooth wi-fi , 3g etc .

Upvote 0

I know what you're saying. But I like having those things on and I'm used to it from my previous phone. GPS for Google Latitiude and also I have access to quite a few wifi networks so like to use them when in range.

I realise I will have to change this but I thought I'd see how I got on working as I normally do for a while. Looks like it won't cut it.

I knew the battery mah when I bought it so, nobody to blame but myself.

Upvote 0
Yes, great phone but battery sucks. Had it just under a week and have never got much more than 8 hours out of it. Tried turning off a lot of the above but has not made a significant improvement yet. HTC Sense seems to have its finger in everything. To be honest I don't really know what it does, can I bin it? I'd like to get rid of GMail too.

Upvote 0
yikes, you lots are hating the batt life so far huh? seems to the common thread so far with the dhd. maybe i missed it earlier but any of you guys listen to alot of music on the phone? say, 1 hour at a time, no flicking through the screen, does this drain much? also, tend to watch a ton of vids, do certain vid formats have an impact? e.g. avi more draining than xvid etc

Upvote 0
I gotta be honest, I don't play too much into battery issues- Dont get me wrong, I love a battery that last all day, but until they reinvent the battery to coincide with these new revamped, overly powered cell phones I don't think it change. My legend was horrible on the battery. I made a few phone calls to my provider, they sent me a few placements and that was enough for me when I was out and about. Just switch the battery, took all of 10 sec and there ya go. Have had my DHD for about a week now and so far my battery will last a good 8-9 hours, but I have yet to let it fully drain to the point of shutting off and recharging it 2-3 times like you are meant too

Upvote 0
I received my DHD on Monday, and it lasted well into Tuesday with a bit of playing around with settings etc, but no camera/video/music use. I charged fully on Tuesday night 9pm, and it was dead the next day by 8:30am... I didn't use it AT ALL after I charged it at night!

Obviously something I switched on yesterday is using the battery because Android OS use was 70%... But I have hardly any apps and not using any cellular data usage. Only wifi and bluetooth.

Upvote 0
Well, after approx 3 weeks of ownership the battery is a massive massive disappointment. All I can say is that the HTC customer service has been fantastically.......bad.
their suggestion was to turn EVERYTHING off on the phone - but that kind of defeats the object of having this phone in the first place.
PLEASE, if you have battery problems can you log the problem with HTC.com the impression I got from HTC customer service was that I shouldn't be complaining cos apart from the battery its a good phone.
hopefully if enough people make sufficient noise direct to HTC then they might do something about it.
Oh yeah, battery at best is 12 hours overnight with nothing switched on, worst is 4 hours on a train from cheshire to London and back...and that was with minimal usage.
I've resorted to having a basic cheapo Nokia 1800 as standby to swap the sim into when (not IF) the battery in the HD fails.

Reactions: bidur
Upvote 0
Well I've just come back from a weekend of using the Sat Nav and I am really amazed at the Desire HD's power usage.

I drove for 3 hours starting with a battery at 80%, and while it was plugged into the car charger all the way there, I reached my destination with 15% battery remaining.

And the culprit... 60% Display, 20% Google Maps

The trip home was longer as I made a few detours, so I ended up turning off the screen for the last 30 minutes of the journey (relying on hearing directions, but not seeing them) in fear of it dying completely.

Upvote 0
I don't know what you guys are all doing buy my battery has been going for 14hrs 22 mins with pretty consistant use.
It says I've still got 30% Battery left
Display 43%
Calendar 26% and everything else under 7%
OS only 4%

I have my brightness at 30% which is just fine for me.

I have no idea why the calendar is so high but.
I don't even look at it.

If anyone can help me figure it out I'd be very appreciative.

Upvote 0
Pretty much at the end of my tether now with this phone and HTC customer service.
The battery life is sh!te.
HTC are telling me to prolong the life of the phone by turning off gps, wi-fi, bluetooth (OK, will do), et cetera. But I bought the phone with those specifications so I expect to be able to use them.
The specification doesn't say - "Use of any of the phone functions may seriously deplete the life of the phone in normal usage down to 4 hours"
HTC: Get your act together!
The gall of HTC knows no bounds as they said I can return the phone for checking/repair which would of course mean i am without phone for any number of days. "Not our problem" appears to be HTC's attitude - the fricking phone is less than 3 weeks old! Aaarrgghhhh!
think I need some primal scream therapy.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones