1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

HTC Desire HD - Can't send/receive emails when I have disabled background data

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Aeropars, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Aeropars

Aeropars Lurker

Hello All,

I've trying to improve the battery life on the missus HTC Desire HD. From what I have read, they are pretty notorious for being rubbish on battery life.

I have disabled background data so that it will only update when she is using the phone. The works fine for everything except email and when backgroudn data is disabled she cannot send or receive any emails form any account (GMAIL and an IMAP account)

Can anyone tell me what's wrong here? I've tested this functionality on another android phone and emails can be sent and received when background data is disabled so it seems something else is wrong here.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. D-U-R-X

D-U-R-X turbo drinker

Hello Aeropars - welcome to the forums... thanks for joining!! :)

I think you may be a little confused... what you are referring to is how often the phone syncs (you can set it so that it only syncs when you go to the mail app if you'd like)... if you do not have data/WIFI enabled, you will not be able to receive/send emails.

3. Aeropars

Aeropars Lurker

Thanks for the reply.

I'm afraid I'm not getting confused... although the setting has confused me somewhat.

When I untick the background data option, for some reason it prevents the sending and receiving of emails. That's whether I'm in the mail app or not. Web data works fine but for whatever reason the sending and receiving of emails doesn't work

Like I said previously, to sets what this option should do, I used a friends phone (althought it was a sony android phone) and changed the same setting and then sent and received email which worked fine.

I've confirmed it is this option causing the send/receive problem as soon as I enable background data the mail flow starts working.

Any ideas?

HTC Desire HD Forum

The HTC Desire HD release date was October 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 768GB RAM, Snapdragon S2 processor, and 1230mAh battery.

October 2010
Release Date
Reviews