• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root HTC Desire HD - Needs to be brought back to life!!!

double crap! :mad:

to tell,when you go to the mounts and storage menu,it will either say "mount" or "unmount". if it says mount,then that partition is unmounted,and vice versa.

looks like rom flashing isnt going to work,but ive just figured out we can change your main version in recovery. if we do that,and make a "gold card" it should be no prollem flashing an unbranded RUU.

before starting all this,may want to power the phonr off and plug it in and see if it charges. youll want to be fully charged when starting.

if yuore up for it,heres what well do:
first,download this file(its big): http://www.androidfilehost.com/main/Thunderbolt_Developers/scotty85/DHD-root-downgrade-soff.zip extract it and put it on the root of C like you did the other

download this file:
http://www.androidfilehost.com/main/-Support_Files-/superuser/Superuser-3.0.7-efgh-signed.zip place it on the root of your sd "gold card" after you make it

take your recovery image,and place it into this folder. note that its named slightly differently(mini-adb_inspire).

make a gold card
this is neccessary in order to flash an unbranded RUU. you should be able to skip this step if your ACE happens to be unbranded allready.
directions can be found here
use the app goldcard helper from market. if you use it skip right to the step of "Go to this page and enter this new number into the SD Card Serial (CID) field" and enter the output of the sdcard cid for mmc2 into the goldcard generator site.

i personally would just pick up a small spare sd to use for this. its not really worth the effort of backin up,transfering,etc. the contents of your current sd to make it into a gold card.

to make your gold card,you can place your sd card that youre going to use in another android phone if you have one,then you can use the app. if thats not an option,just boot your recovery as youve done above,then enter this command instead of the one in the directions:
adb shell cat /sys/class/mmc_host/mmc2/mmc2:*/cid
that will spit out the long number the directions are refering to.

also,remember,on that page youre only concerned with the directions under "Next we need to create a goldcard by doing the following:"

after youre done,place the gold card into the phone. no real need to move stuff from your original sd card to the gold card,youll only need it this once.

open a cmd window. change to this directory:
cd c:\mini-adb_inspire
then
md5sums RUU_Ace_HTC_WWE_1.32.405.6_Radio_12.28b.60.140e_26.03.02.26_M_release_155891_signed.zip
(make sure there are no spaces in your cmd command/ruu name if you get an error when running it)
it should spit out a few things,then a value of: c3d244a9f056e48ee3851a14ff52204c if you dont get this value,do not continue

put the phone in fastboot,plug in

then
fastboot devices

fastboot boot recovery.img
*use the recovery menu on the phone to flash the superuser file,like you did the rom. just wipe cache and dalvik cache

adb devices should return your serial number "recovery",indicating your connected

adb shell should return a #. if you get a $ type su
exit exit again,if youre at a $(need to be at mini-adb_inspire> prompt)

adb shell mount /data
adb shell mount /system
adb push misc_version /data/local/tmp
adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/misc_version
adb shell /data/local/tmp/misc_version -s 1.31.405.3

adb reboot bootloader

fastboot devices again,should return your serial number

fastboot getvar mainver should return 1.31.405.3 if not,something went wrong,reboot and start over step 5

fastboot getvar cid (will tell you y our stock CID. make ote of it if you think yuo may want to restore it later)

fastboot oem lock to relock your bootloader. make sure you only do this if you got the correct mainver number. if your mainver doesnt change,do not relock yet!

fastboot oem rebootRUU should boot your phone to a black screen with htc in the center
fastboot flash zip RUU_Ace_HTC_WWE_1.32.405.6_Radio_12.28b.60.140e_26.03.02.26_M_release_155891_signed.zip will flash the downgrade fimrware. it can take quite a while to push,and do the checks,so be patient. remember your goldcard must be in the phone,and if you get a cid failure/error,then your gold card was not made correctly. if you get a "cannot open" failure,make sure there are no spaces in the cmd command/ruu name.

after the firmware flashes:
fastboot reboot-bootloader should reboot you to the 0.85.0007 hboot of the 1.32.405.6 downgrade firmware

fastboot reboot will reboot your phone

and it may help to see what the outputs of those commands will be(red are my inputs):

Code:
c:\mini-adb_inspire>[COLOR="Red"]adb devices[/COLOR]
List of devices attached
HTxxxxxxxxxx    recovery

c:\mini-adb_inspire>[COLOR="red"]adb shell mount /data[/COLOR]

c:\mini-adb_inspire>[COLOR="red"]adb shell mount /system[/COLOR]

c:\mini-adb_inspire>[COLOR="red"]adb push misc_version /data/local/tmp[/COLOR]
1189 KB/s (15837 bytes in 0.013s)

c:\mini-adb_inspire>[COLOR="red"]adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/misc_version[/COLOR]

c:\mini-adb_inspire>[COLOR="red"]adb shell /data/local/tmp/misc_version -s 1.31.405.3[/COLOR]
--set_version set. VERSION will be changed to: 1.31.405.3
Patching and backing up partition 17...

c:\mini-adb_inspire>[COLOR="red"]adb reboot-bootloader[/COLOR]

c:\mini-adb_inspire>[COLOR="red"]fastboot devices[/COLOR]
HTxxxxxxxxxx    fastboot

c:\mini-adb_inspire>[COLOR="red"]fastboot getvar mainver[/COLOR]
mainver: 1.31.405.3
finished. total time: 0.001s

c:\mini-adb_inspire>

last and not least,i dont know where you are,but if its getting late,feel free to pick it up again tomoro :) (ill prolly be asleep before too long! :eek:)
I'm having trouble finding the sdk.zip file to extract the c:AndroidSDK folder.

I followed the download link for SDK and when downloading it was an .exe file. I ran the setup and installed the software. But no SDK.zip file???

Upvote 0
I think I see where the confusion lies. You'll need to very slightly modify the instructs for the outside link to the goldcard tutorial. You already have a slimmed down version of the "sdk" in the mini-sdk that you loaded and were using earlier to run the fastboot commands. So you can skip the part about downloading the sdk and setting it up.

So where the goldcard instructs say to run the commands from the "androidsdktools" location...you will continue to use C:\mini-adb> like you were before. It'll all work the same other than the location you are typing the commands from.

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
ooooooh,gotcha... its honestly been awhile since ive read thru them,looking at them now i can see where that confusion came from. :eek:

DVSimz,sorry for the confusion. if you have another android phone you can use,put the sd that you want to use in it. then you can use the gold card helper app if you want.

if thats not an option, then just boot recovery,and enter this command instead of the one in the directions:

that will give you the long number the directions are refering to.

again,sorry for the confusion,i forgot we werent working on a completely functional phone. i should have read thru the gold card directions again before posting... but id been sitting in front of the PC for some time and wsa getting tired(and yelled at by the GF :eek:)

ill modify the directions slightly above...

edit:
i just tested it,booted recovery,entered the comand. went to the link and pasted the number,and then booted the phone and downloaded the gold card helper app. the number the link spit out was the same as the mmc2 field in the gold card helper app. :) so that should work for you just fine if you need to.

again,sorry about the confusion...

ill be home for another couple hours,but this is a long day for me... i wont be home until about 9:00(eastern standard time)

ill try and watch if you have questions,and im sure iowa will be watching as well :)

Upvote 0
ooooooh,gotcha... its honestly been awhile since ive read thru them,looking at them now i can see where that confusion came from. :eek:

DVSimz,sorry for the confusion. if you have another android phone you can use,put the sd that you want to use in it. then you can use the gold card helper app if you want.

if thats not an option, then just boot recovery,and enter this command instead of the one in the directions:

that will give you the long number the directions are refering to.

again,sorry for the confusion,i forgot we werent working on a completely functional phone. i should have read thru the gold card directions again before posting... but id been sitting in front of the PC for some time and wsa getting tired(and yelled at by the GF :eek:)

ill modify the directions slightly above...

edit:
i just tested it,booted recovery,entered the comand. went to the link and pasted the number,and then booted the phone and downloaded the gold card helper app. the number the link spit out was the same as the mmc2 field in the gold card helper app. :) so that should work for you just fine if you need to.

again,sorry about the confusion...

ill be home for another couple hours,but this is a long day for me... i wont be home until about 9:00(eastern standard time)

ill try and watch if you have questions,and im sure iowa will be watching as well :)
Thanks for the Help!!

So I got my hands on another SD Card. I Formatted it full fat32. put it in the phone. Booted Fastboot and typed the following command in cmd.

It shows: "error: device not found"

Should I be in fastboot when using this command??

When I type in fastboot devices, my device serial number pops up just fine.

When you say "boot recovery", what does that mean?? Do I need to boot the recovery "Ace Hack Kit"??

Upvote 0
When you say "boot recovery", what does that mean?? Do I need to boot the recovery "Ace Hack Kit"??

the hboot and fastboot screens are the bootloader,so when i say "boot recovery" or "launch recovery" i mean to boot the ace hack kit recovery as you have above.

-phone in fastboot
-fastboot boot recovery.img

you need to enter the command in the ace recovery screen to get the long string of numbers.

while you have it booted,go whead and try
adb shell

and see if you get back a #

since youve flashed a rooted rom,you may not need to flash the superuser file. as long as you get the #,you can prolly forgot the "flash superuser" in recovery part of the directions above.

sorry for assuming my lingo made sense to folks other than me,lol :p

once youre all set and start the rest of the adb commands to change the main version,if you get other errors from the other commands,you may want to just download and flash this stockish rom: [ROM] Android Revolution HD 7.0.4 | High Quality & Performance | O/C | Legendary - xda-developers then try again. you can try and boot the rom if you want,but i dont think it will boot.

thats basically what i was on when i ran thru it on my phone.

in a nutshell,when you see a command that starts "fastboot something something" youll need to be in the fastboot screen. when you see a command that starts "adb blah blah",or doesnt say either, then you need to be in the booted OS,or in recovery. in your case,youll need to be in the ace hack recovery screen :)

Upvote 0
double crap! :mad:

to tell,when you go to the mounts and storage menu,it will either say "mount" or "unmount". if it says mount,then that partition is unmounted,and vice versa.

looks like rom flashing isnt going to work,but ive just figured out we can change your main version in recovery. if we do that,and make a "gold card" it should be no prollem flashing an unbranded RUU.

before starting all this,may want to power the phonr off and plug it in and see if it charges. youll want to be fully charged when starting.

if yuore up for it,heres what well do:
first,download this file(its big): http://www.androidfilehost.com/main/Thunderbolt_Developers/scotty85/DHD-root-downgrade-soff.zip extract it and put it on the root of C like you did the other

download this file:
http://www.androidfilehost.com/main/-Support_Files-/superuser/Superuser-3.0.7-efgh-signed.zip place it on the root of your sd "gold card" after you make it

take your recovery image,and place it into this folder. note that its named slightly differently(mini-adb_inspire).

make a gold card
this is neccessary in order to flash an unbranded RUU. you should be able to skip this step if your ACE happens to be unbranded allready.
directions can be found here
use the app goldcard helper from market. if you use it skip right to the step of "Go to this page and enter this new number into the SD Card Serial (CID) field" and enter the output of the sdcard cid for mmc2 into the goldcard generator site.

i personally would just pick up a small spare sd to use for this. its not really worth the effort of backin up,transfering,etc. the contents of your current sd to make it into a gold card.

*since your phone cant boot,if you have another android phone you can use,place the sd card that you want to make into a gold card into it. you can then use the goldcard helper app if you want.

if that isnt an option,its not big deal. just launch youre recovery as youve been doing above. then use this command,instead of the one in the directions:

that will output the long number the directions are refering to.

remeber on that page,you are only concerned with the "Next we need to create a goldcard by doing the following:" directions.

after youre done,place the gold card into the phone. no real need to move stuff from your original sd card to the gold card,youll only need it this once.

open a cmd window. change to this directory:
cd c:\mini-adb_inspire
then
md5sums RUU_Ace_HTC_WWE_1.32.405.6_Radio_12.28b.60.140e_26.03.02.26_M_release_155891_signed.zip
(make sure there are no spaces in your cmd command/ruu name if you get an error when running it)
it should spit out a few things,then a value of: c3d244a9f056e48ee3851a14ff52204c if you dont get this value,do not continue

put the phone in fastboot,plug in

then
fastboot devices

fastboot boot recovery.img
*use the recovery menu on the phone to flash the superuser file,like you did the rom. just wipe cache and dalvik cache

adb devices should return your serial number "recovery",indicating your connected

adb shell should return a #. if you get a $ type su
exit exit again,if youre at a $(need to be at mini-adb_inspire> prompt)

adb shell mount /data
adb shell mount /system
adb push misc_version /data/local/tmp
adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/misc_version

adb reboot bootloader

fastboot devices again,should return your serial number

fastboot getvar mainver should return 1.31.405.3 if not,something went wrong,reboot and start over step 5

fastboot getvar cid (will tell you y our stock CID. make ote of it if you think yuo may want to restore it later)

fastboot oem lock to relock your bootloader. make sure you only do this if you got the correct mainver number. if your mainver doesnt change,do not relock yet!

fastboot oem rebootRUU should boot your phone to a black screen with htc in the center
fastboot flash zip RUU_Ace_HTC_WWE_1.32.405.6_Radio_12.28b.60.140e_26.03.02.26_M_release_155891_signed.zip will flash the downgrade fimrware. it can take quite a while to push,and do the checks,so be patient. remember your goldcard must be in the phone,and if you get a cid failure/error,then your gold card was not made correctly. if you get a "cannot open" failure,make sure there are no spaces in the cmd command/ruu name.

after the firmware flashes:
fastboot reboot-bootloader should reboot you to the 0.85.0007 hboot of the 1.32.405.6 downgrade firmware

fastboot reboot will reboot your phone

and it may help to see what the outputs of those commands will be(red are my inputs):

Code:
c:\mini-adb_inspire>[COLOR="Red"]adb devices[/COLOR]
List of devices attached
HTxxxxxxxxxx    recovery

c:\mini-adb_inspire>[COLOR="red"]adb shell mount /data[/COLOR]

c:\mini-adb_inspire>[COLOR="red"]adb shell mount /system[/COLOR]

c:\mini-adb_inspire>[COLOR="red"]adb push misc_version /data/local/tmp[/COLOR]
1189 KB/s (15837 bytes in 0.013s)

c:\mini-adb_inspire>[COLOR="red"]adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/misc_version[/COLOR]

c:\mini-adb_inspire>[COLOR="red"]adb shell /data/local/tmp/misc_version -s 1.31.405.3[/COLOR]
--set_version set. VERSION will be changed to: 1.31.405.3
Patching and backing up partition 17...

c:\mini-adb_inspire>[COLOR="red"]adb reboot-bootloader[/COLOR]

c:\mini-adb_inspire>[COLOR="red"]fastboot devices[/COLOR]
HTxxxxxxxxxx    fastboot

c:\mini-adb_inspire>[COLOR="red"]fastboot getvar mainver[/COLOR]
mainver: 1.31.405.3
finished. total time: 0.001s

last and not least,i dont know where you are,but if its getting late,feel free to pick it up again tomoro :) (ill prolly be asleep before too long! :eek:)
So I was able to create the Gold card and follow all the steps!!

When it completed, and I tried to reboot and it was stuck again on the White screen with HTC Logo.

So I tried the whole process again and now it won't let me fastboot boot recovery.img!!

Here's what it shows:

C:\Users\daniels>cd c:\mini-adb_inspire

c:\mini-adb_inspire>md5sums RUU_Ace_HTC_WWE_1.32.405.6_Radio_12.28b.60.140e_26.0
3.02.26_M_release_155891_signed.zip

MD5sums 1.2 freeware for Win9x/ME/NT/2000/XP+
Copyright (C) 2001-2005 Jem Berkes - PC-Tools.Net: Tools and utilities for Windows, Unix/Linux, DOS
Type md5sums -h for help

[Path] / filename MD5 sum
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[c:\mini-adb_inspire\]
RUU_Ace_HTC_WWE_1.32.405.6_Radio_12.28... 100% c3d244a9f056e48ee3851a14ff52204c

c:\mini-adb_inspire>fastboot devices
HT11ZTZ02579 fastboot

c:\mini-adb_inspire>fastboot boot recovery.img
downloading 'boot.img'... OKAY [ 0.630s]
booting... FAILED (remote: not allowed)
finished. total time: 0.633s

HT11ZTZ02579 fastboot

downloading 'boot.img'... OKAY [ 0.626s]
booting... FAILED (remote: not allowed)
finished. total time: 0.628s

Upvote 0
This is what it says when I load HBOOT:

*** RELOCKED ***

ACE PVT SHIP S-ON RL
HBOOT-2.00.0029
MICROP-0438
RADIO-26.14.04.28_M
eMMC-boot
Dec 22 2011, 14:28:19

HBOOT

<VOL UP> to previous item
<VOL DOWN> to next item
<POWER> to select item

FASTBOOT
RECOVERY
FACTORY RESET
SIMLOCK
IMAGE CRC

----

Did I screw this up even worse now??

Upvote 0
Did the file flash all partitions without error? If so ,and it still won't boot,I'm afraid that's a pretty bad sign :( did your hboot screen change? or is it showing the same info?

You are unable to boot your ace recovery because either:
1)the downgrade changed your hboot to a stock one
Or
2)your htcdev hboot,if still present ,is locked

neither supports the fastboot boot command :(

Upvote 0
This is what it says when I load HBOOT:

*** RELOCKED ***

ACE PVT SHIP S-ON RL
HBOOT-2.00.0029
MICROP-0438
RADIO-26.14.04.28_M
eMMC-boot

HBOOT

<VOL DOWN> to next item
<POWER> to select item

FASTBOOT
RECOVERY
FACTORY RESET
SIMLOCK
IMAGE CRC

----

Did I screw this up even worse now??

Just saw this. Is it possible you can obtain the unlock_code.bin originally used to unlock the phone?

Upvote 0
Just saw this. Is it possible you can obtain the unlock_code.bin originally used to unlock the phone?
Unfortunately, the unlock_code.bin originally used to unlock cannot be obtained.

I do know that he tried to upgrade to Ice Cream Sandwich before it crashed.

Is this the end of the line for this phone?? Should I throw it in the garbage?? lol

Upvote 0
You can try following htcdevs directions to unlock with a new unlock_ code,but I'm pretty sure it will fail because of the mismatched baseband.

if you try it,let me know wat happens.

Since you have mini adv inspire,you can skip dthe first few steps on htcdev. Put the phone in.fastboot,then start at the step to get the identifier token.

Reactions: D-U-R-X and DVSimz
Upvote 0
You can try following htcdevs directions to unlock with a new unlock_ code,but I'm pretty sure it will fail because of the mismatched baseband.

if you try it,let me know wat happens.

Since you have mini adv inspire,you can skip dthe first few steps on htcdev. Put the phone in.fastboot,then start at the step to get the identifier token.
THANKYOU!!!!

So...I followed all the steps on htcdevs website to unlock bootloader.

It worked...i think.

After all was done, the phone rebooted and instead of going to the White screen with the HTC logo, it is now at a different screen that says ICECOLDSANDWICH by Load Clockan. With all kinds of funky colours moving around.

But...it stayed at that screen for about 10 minutes. So I pulled the battery and booted into HBOOT. This is what it says now:

*** UNLOCKED ***

ACE PVT SHIP S-ON RL
HBOOT-2.00.0029
MICROP-0438
RADIO-26.14.04.28_M
eMMC-boot

HBOOT

<VOL DOWN> to next item
<POWER> to select item

FASTBOOT
RECOVERY
FACTORY RESET
SIMLOCK
IMAGE CRC

-------

Progress???????

Upvote 0
THANKYOU!!!!

So...I followed all the steps on htcdevs website to unlock bootloader.

It worked...i think.

After all was done, the phone rebooted and instead of going to the White screen with the HTC logo, it is now at a different screen that says ICECOLDSANDWICH by Load Clockan. With all kinds of funky colours moving around.

But...it stayed at that screen for about 10 minutes. So I pulled the battery and booted into HBOOT. This is what it says now:

*** UNLOCKED ***

ACE PVT SHIP S-ON RL
HBOOT-2.00.0029
MICROP-0438
RADIO-26.14.04.28_M
eMMC-boot

HBOOT

<VOL DOWN> to next item
<POWER> to select item

FASTBOOT
RECOVERY
FACTORY RESET
SIMLOCK
IMAGE CRC

-------

Progress???????

Yes and no,lol...
almost booting is good... As is.having an unlock code.bin. don't lose it! :D

maybe not.bad,but definately odd that it tried to boot ice cold sammich. That means the downgrade ruu didn't flash. Try the steps again,and maybe get a copy/paste of the whole thing.

I'm thinking off we get an ruu to flash it will boot

Reactions: D-U-R-X
Upvote 0
Yes and no,lol...
almost booting is good... As is.having an unlock code.bin. don't lose it! :D

maybe not.bad,but definately odd that it tried to boot ice cold sammich. That means the downgrade ruu didn't flash. Try the steps again,and maybe get a copy/paste of the whole thing.

I'm thinking off we get an ruu to flash it will boot
This is where it gives a bit of an error...please see below:

c:\mini-adb_inspire>md5sums RUU_Ace_HTC_WWE_1.32.405.6_Radio_12.28b.60.140e_26.0

Copyright (C) 2001-2005 Jem Berkes - PC-Tools.Net: Tools and utilities for Windows, Unix/Linux, DOS
Type md5sums -h for help

HT11ZTZ02579 fastboot

downloading 'boot.img'... OKAY [ 0.628s]
booting... OKAY [ 0.001s]
finished. total time: 0.629s

c:\mini-adb_inspire>adb devices
List of devices attached
HT11ZTZ02579 recovery

c:\mini-adb_inspire>adb shell
~ # exit
exit

c:\mini-adb_inspire>adb shell mount /data

c:\mini-adb_inspire>adb shell mount /system

c:\mini-adb_inspire>adb push misc_version /data/local/tmp
1104 KB/s (15837 bytes in 0.014s)

c:\mini-adb_inspire>adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/misc_version
chmod: /data/local/tmp/misc_version: Not a directory

c:\mini-adb_inspire>adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/misc_version
chmod: /data/local/tmp/misc_version: Not a directory

Upvote 0
Just thinking out loud here guys but how about just trying:

adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/tmp (without the misc_version at the end)

Because adb is right, /misc_version isn't a directory, it's a file that just got pushed to the tmp directory, so if you give full r/w rights to tmp, I'm thinking it may carry over to the misc_version file as well? I see it worked on your sesssion above Scotty, but I'm not quite sure why it would have worked.

So if that works, then you could move onto:

and on down the line.

Reactions: DVSimz
Upvote 0
Thanks for that fix iowabowtech!!

It got me through the step I was stuck on. But as soon as I proceeded to the next one it gave me another error:

Type md5sums -h for help

HT11ZTZ02579 fastboot

downloading 'boot.img'... OKAY [ 0.626s]
booting... OKAY [ 0.001s]
finished. total time: 0.627s

c:\mini-adb_inspire>adb devices
List of devices attached
HT11ZTZ02579 recovery

c:\mini-adb_inspire>adb shell
~ # exit
exit

c:\mini-adb_inspire>adb shell mount /data

c:\mini-adb_inspire>adb shell mount /system

c:\mini-adb_inspire>adb push misc_version /data/local/tmp
1104 KB/s (15837 bytes in 0.014s)

c:\mini-adb_inspire>adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/tmp

c:\mini-adb_inspire>adb shell /data/local/tmp/misc_version -s 1.31.405.3
/sbin/sh: /data/local/tmp/misc_version: not found

http://androidforums.com/members/iowabowtech.html

Upvote 0
Either that or cd to the /tmp directory and run a ls -l in order to check for the presence of the misc_version. Maybe it didn't actually push for some reason even though it indicated that it did?
I'll try that out iowa. But where is the /tmp directory?? Probably a dumb question but I have no idea where to locate it.

Thanks again guys!

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones