• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HTC Desire HD No WiFi

I've had exactly the same problem with the desire hd I got 2 days ago. Since I got the ROM update. The tech support at both HTC and 3 are rubbish aswell and have no idea what the problem is. Luckily u arranged for a replacement, but it is rather worrying that someone else had the problem.

same here, once i get updated, the WiFi problem came, i keep on getting error message. wad should i do? wad do u mean by "arranged for a replacement" ?

Upvote 0
the wifi on my ipod is very poor compared to my DHD..there are places in my house where i dont get even a single bar on my ipod but my DHD shows atleast 2 bars...even when i run speedtest i get results almost similar to what i get on my desktop(connected with a lan cable)..i think u should get your DHD checked.. it could be a hardware issue

I'm rooted so I'll have to revert it. I'm also running later Radios to see if this improves it. Not sure I still have a warranty but could be worth a try:eek:

Wi-Fi Tips:
Just remember to not to cover up the right hand side of the Desire as that is where the Wi-Fi aerial is housed. Makes quite a difference. :)

Have you also checked that there is no other Wi-Fi signal in the area using a similar channel? I use the Wifi Analyser app to do this.

Have you tried turning off the 'b' part of the Wi-Fi via your router?
This can free up traffic.

If your router has two aerials, make one of them horizontal, the other vertical. This helps bouncing the radio waves through rooms.

Is there a wireless video/audio sender in the area? These often run at 2.4GHz and can seriously affect Wi-Fi.

You can can either add silver foil dishes to the wi-fi aerials to concentrate the waves towards an area of the house or if your aerials are detachable. Add better aerials.

Lastly if all fails, get yourself a Wi-Fi repeater box. This relays and boosts the Wi-Fi in weak parts of the house.

Thanks for the info. I've already ran through all the above bar turning off B and just running G so I'll give that a try. Its not just the iPhone thats better, both laptops get a solid 5 bars as does the xbox too.

For information I've tried both a Cisco 1200 and a bog standard Dlink both showing the same thing. Good wifi for all other devices.

Really I need to compare to another phone so I might go back to the store to see if they have one that can be tried side by side.

Upvote 0
Hi

Recieved the Desire HD yesterday but it won't connect to my Wifi (although it says it is connected) as when I try to access the market, web browser, gmail it won't connect unless I switch on my 3G connection. Frustrating as I wanted to download maps and really can't do this on my mobile content allowance. Anyone had the same problem??

HI,

I have the same problem. I can connect to the router in my HTC desire HD but I cant use the internet. there nothing with the router as every one in the house are using it for their laptops. and what drive me crazy is that i can connect and use internet normally in every coffee shops and hotels. I asked every one for help and nobody know how to help me. i hope some here have s suggestion.

Upvote 0
I had a similar issue with a ISP branded smartphone by Orange. It refused to use Wi-Fi for getting data and insisted in using 3G. Even though I was sitting in my living room which has a strong g wi-fi network.

Orange claimed it was designed to do this....

Needless to say, my next phone was unbranded...

Of course it could be a simple MAC address rule set up in the family router which refuses to allow the HTC phone to pass data. :)

Upvote 0
My DHD will work fine with the WIFI at home, but with most of the PUBLIC wifi networks (starbucks, etc) it's useless.

I get the wifi signal, it says that it's "connected" but if I try to check my email or something I get "network error".

I have green power, turned it off - didn't help.

DHD unbranded, unlocked, no data plan.

any ideas?

Upvote 0
That's because most of them require you to go to their web home page set up by the DHCP connection and log in with a password.

Next time you're at one of these hotspots, pop open your web browser home page and see what pops up. Perhaps ask the staff for their Wi-fi password? :)

Any company that allows totally free and anonymous access is just setting themselves up for a possible lawsuit.

Upvote 0
Hi Guys and Gals,

Having had problems connecting to my bt home hub for the last few months and having many fruitless conversations with bt services and my mobile opporators I have found a solution as to how you maybe able to regain you wifi connection.

I finally desided to reset my home hud to its original factory settings and this has finally worked. It appears to me that the firmware updates that take place automatically had desided that my phone was incompatible and refused to allow me to gain access just saying " obtaining ip address" all the time.

So, if you do the above this maybe a solution for your issues too.

Hope this helps.

OH and by the way make sure you have all your passwords and key words written down before you do this as all of them will be erased due to the reboot.

Finally enjoy.

Upvote 0
I'm happy to see i'm not the only one having an Issue with the HTC desire HD and wifi. Mine connects perfectly to my parents router, yet wont/badly connects to my own.

The problem is that it either connects and instantly disconnects or is insanely slow over the network when it does work (which is all dependent if the phone wants or not)

I've tried the following settings
Mode: 11b, 11g, 11n, 11bg/mixed, 11bgn/mixed Its noteworthy that only way it does actually connect is 11g, with higher it connects/disconnects instantly.

Security: i've tried all kinds, doesnt seem to affect it. Statis IP: Ive set that up on the phone, yet still it only connects/disconnects instantely. This is quite frustrating, because my previous phone (normal HTC desire) worked perfectly fine...

So basicly my question is, what are the best router settings to connect with HTC desire HD to router.

also to note: when it connects good(occasionally) i get speeds of 1mb/s, but when its slow its like 15k/sec :(

Upvote 0
Having similar problems with HTC Desire non HD. See this thread:-

http://androidforums.com/desire-support-troubleshooting/410133-gamil-over-wifi-not-connecting.html

Basically I can get wifi but cannot get anything to update that requires sync with my gmail account; stock news and weather apps will not update, nor will calendar or gmail apps. Also tried adding my wife's gmail account; same problem. Stock Google app shows error mesage:-

"Data connectivity problem

The server failed to
communicate. try again later"

Stock browser works.

All work ok on other wifi setups or on mobile data. My laptop syncs with Google calendar and gmail over the same wifi that fails with my Desire.

Wifi signal most powerfull, by far (-25db compared to -69 on its channel - 7); using inSSIDer to check on lapto. Wifiscanner on phone shows -44 compared to -81p.

Any ideas please?

BTW trying this thread although my phone not HD but someone might have an idea.

Upvote 0
Antenna contact in DHD battery cover was it! Flawless Wifi reception suddenly dropped to near-nothing, and it turned out that the cover had become slightly dislodged (it wasn't apparent as my extra protective casing covered up the misalignment). Snapped the cover back in place, and Wifi was back to normal! :)

hey thanks a lottt for the help...
it worked for me :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones