• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HTC Desire HD SD Card

Sofire

Oct 23, 2009
London
Hi Everyone,
I've been reading all the SD Card problems but none seem to match the one I have with mine.
A few days ago I tried to update some apps, which I have on my SD card, but it keeps coming up with the same problem saying: "Couldn't install on USB storage or SD card".
Anyone have ideas what I can do to correct this problem?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I have put most of my apps onto my SD card except the ones that can't be moved.
What I've had to do is move them to my phone, update them, then move them back to the SD card.
Any apps that install direct to the SD card can't be updated such as 'Beats' - I just keep getting the error "Couldn't install on USB storage or SD card".

Upvote 0
That's exactly the problem, it's to do with the SD card.
If I try to update any apps direct to it then it fails but as soon as you move the app to the phone it updates (did it this morning with Radio Ball 3d) then move it back to SD card.
I thought my card was corrupt but the fact that I can still move apps to it suggests otherwise.
I will stick with this card until a really important app needs updating but it's very annoying.

Upvote 0
I got myself a secondhand HTC Desire on friday and had exactly the same issue.

I had found online that removing the following file smdl2tmp1.asec from the .android_secure folder on the memory card should get rid of the problem.

HOWEVER!
I found this out after backing up my SD card and getting the phone to reformat it which also worked BUT taking note of the above I did NOT copy the .android_secure folder back over and I have not had the problem since.

BTW this is my first posting after finding out help from others on other issues in the past

EDIT... I forgot to mention the best way to get to that folder is via Windows Explorer if you can't see it disable hide hidden files

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=984863

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones